General 2019 College Football thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

T_Sauce

Feb 26, 2020
CFB has to figure it out or a bunch of schools are going to have to cut a lot of their other sports. For most schools football is the only sport that turns a profit. LSU baseball has the some of the highest and most consistent attendance for over a decade and still just barely makes a profit.

Matrix

Astros Fan
Feb 15, 2020
Unfortunately it’s all going to come down to...

No fall classes = No football season

I’m hopeful they find a medicine that is effective this summer bc a vaccine is at least a year away.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Unfortunately it’s all going to come down to...

No fall classes = No football season

I’m hopeful they find a medicine that is effective this summer bc a vaccine is at least a year away.
Man, don't do me like that. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are right. Trump is hell bent on getting this country back to as normal as it can be in times like this, but sports and everything else is fucked if a second wave of this shit happens...and I'm afraid that's inevitable.

Matrix

Astros Fan
Feb 15, 2020
Man, don't do me like that. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are right. Trump is hell bent on getting this country back to as normal as it can be in times like this, but sports and everything else is fucked if a second wave of this shit happens...and I'm afraid that's inevitable.
Yeah I’m not even saying it will be justified but it’s a very real possibility. It’s unfortunate and I’m not sure how some of these universities are going to deal. It’s going to be big. My pops just retired as CFO for the 12th Man Foundation (A&M sports) and he’s said they’ll show a 20 mil dollar deficit in the first quarter. That’s not even in football season. I can’t imagine what some places will go through bc A&M is well off financially. Good luck LSU lol

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yeah I’m not even saying it will be justified but it’s a very real possibility. It’s unfortunate and I’m not sure how some of these universities are going to deal. It’s going to be big. My pops just retired as CFO for the 12th Man Foundation (A&M sports) and he’s said they’ll show a 20 mil dollar deficit in the first quarter. That’s not even in football season. I can’t imagine what some places will go through bc A&M is well off financially. Good luck LSU lol
Yeah, the football only schools might be seriously fucked. Luckily, we lead the nation in basketball attendance, but still, football revenue drives the bus. Our Athletic Director and coaches across all sports agreed to a 10% pay cut a couple weeks ago to try and help reduce our losses, but it's gonna get interesting if students dont come back in the fall.

Matrix

Astros Fan
Feb 15, 2020
Yeah, the football only schools might be seriously fucked. Luckily, we lead the nation in basketball attendance, but still, football revenue drives the bus. Our Athletic Director and coaches across all sports agreed to a 10% pay cut a couple weeks ago to try and help reduce our losses, but it's gonna get interesting if students dont come back in the fall.
Yeah I’d bet even Louisville’s football revenue trumps basketball. I bet it’s not even close tbh. Football rules in the US.

Let’s just hope for a medicine that helps tremendously. It’s our path.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
UC straight up dropped their men's soccer team. Forever. They had net operating losses of $730,000 last year.

Matrix

Astros Fan
Feb 15, 2020
UC straight up dropped their men's soccer team. Forever. They had net operating losses of $730,000 last year.
Brother, other than Football (The sport that funds all others basically), Men’s Basketball on a smaller scale (Millionish) and Baseball on a barely break even scale (Maybe 500 thou ish) no sport makes money. And unfortunately that’s at the big money schools. It’ll be interesting to see how the lower tier schools deal with this even in the P5.

Fuck corona and Fuck China

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
What is the relevance to football? A lot of revenue deficient sports are gonna get the heave ho very soon
That is the relevance to football.

Football is generally the only sport that makes money for colleges, and those profits pay for all the other sports.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Title IX arguments in the very near future as programs get the clip.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
That is the relevance to football.

Football is generally the only sport that makes money for colleges, and those profits pay for all the other sports.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Title IX arguments in the very near future as programs get the clip.
They will not get rid of football, basketball, etc

Can’t speak on title IX, but isn’t that about women sports?

Matrix

Astros Fan
Feb 15, 2020

Title IX needs to disappear imo. If it makes money than it’s good and players should profit off it as well. With Title IX that’s not even remotely possible in college. Too much to cover..

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

Agreed. But just about all sports are at risk if football isn't being played - or is being played but with empty stadiums. Very few men's basketball programs in America turn a profit. If I had to throw out a guess - I'd say maybe 15-20 men's hoops programs in the entire country actually make money.

Title IX means if you offer a program to men, you have to offer it to women. So if a college decides to keep the men's basketball team, that means they also have to keep the women's team.

There's a lot more crazy shit in Title IX, but that's it in a nutshell.

Thingading

Mar 26, 2020
If football can't be played this season, I wouldn't be surprised if some schools cancel all remaining sports for the rest of the year, regardless if things are better by then.

I don't see how they can lose the only revenue producing sport (for 95% of schools) AND then play other sports that lose them additional money on top of it.

This whole thing blows.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
If football can't be played this season, I wouldn't be surprised if some schools cancel all remaining sports for the rest of the year, regardless if things are better by then.

I don't see how they can lose the only revenue producing sport (for 95% of schools) AND then play other sports that lose them additional money on top of it.

This whole thing blows.
Good point. We may see all sports shelved until football and basketball can be played.

T_Sauce

Feb 26, 2020
Ehhh, LSU will just make cuts on the academic side to help out the sports programs. That's how we roll down here.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
So me and my buddies are gonna live bet the NFL draft via that zoom channel.

$5 a pick per person.

4 guys participating. We will draw our names for order.

Example:

1st round, 1st pick...
Guy 1 announces who he thinks the Bengals will pick. Guy 2 says who he thinks will be selected, but he can't choose the same player as Guy 1. Guy 3 announces who he thinks the Bengals will pick, but he can't choose the same player as Guy 1 or Guy 2. You get the idea.

1st round, 2nd pick...
Guy 2 announces who he thinks will get selected. Then Guy 3, but he can't take Guy 2's pick. Then Guy 4, Then Guy 1.

Winner takes the pot. If nobody picks the actual player selected, pot stays.

Trades don't count. Once you announce the player, that's your guy even if a team moves up in the draft.
All selections must be made in 30 seconds each. Anyone caught peeking at their phone loses their pick (fucking twitter spoilers)

By mid round it should get pretty interesting.

It's been too long since I've been able to gamble on anything and this is all I got.

I'm a degenerate.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

$5 a pick per person.

Example:

1st round, 1st pick...
Guy 1 announces who he thinks the Bengals will pick. Guy 2 says who he thinks will be selected, but he can't choose the same player as Guy 1. Guy 3 announces who he thinks the Bengals will pick, but he can't choose the same player as Guy 1 or Guy 2. You get the idea.

1st round, 2nd pick...
Guy 2 announces who he thinks will get selected. Then Guy 3, but he can't take Guy 2's pick. Then Guy 4, Then Guy 1.

Trades don't count. Once you announce the player, that's your guy even if a team moves up in the draft.
All selections must be made in 30 seconds each. Anyone caught peeking at their phone loses their pick (fucking twitter spoilers)

It's been too long since I've been able to gamble on anything and this is all I got.

I'm a degenerate.
sounds fun
but if you guys aren't doing lots of research you will be all over the place with predictions

I also need to gamble...I need to stimulate the bookies

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

$5 a pick per person.

Example:

1st round, 1st pick...

1st round, 2nd pick...

I'm a degenerate.
That actually sounds like a blast, but holy shit, $5 per pick? That could get ugly lol.