Anderson Silva vs Michael Bisping: The Breakdown of Fighting Style and Creativity

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
I'm excited to share this with you all. There we're a lot of fascinating things I found in this fight, so I really wanted to share some of the things I analyzed.

Anderson Silva vs Michael Bisping: The Breakdown of Fighting Style and Creativity

I have yet to share this with any other place, so I wanted to get some feedback about the loading. Could you let me know if the gifs are giving you too much loading issues? I'm considering breaking the piece into two parts if that's the case.

Thanks for reading folks! Hope you all enjoyed it.

Covers technical skills the fighters used to trump one another.

There were a lot of "LOL" moments for me in this fight. This was one of them.

P

Punch

Thanks for the write up homie! I liked it. What did you think about that elbow Silva kept throwing upwards from the dip?

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
Thanks for the write up homie! I liked it. What did you think about that elbow Silva kept throwing upwards from the dip?
That upwards elbow looked dangerous. If only he could have landed it. He was landing all sorts of fancy stuff that night.

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
I always enjoy these, good stuff... Jack Slack might be getting Jelly.
I enjoy doing these for you folks. I also did a transcript of the 4th round too. I noted all the strikes landed with the times included. I was thinking about posting it, but it already seems people already agree on the most part that rd 4 went to Bisping.

Jack has got his unique perspectives too. I appreciate what he does. We actually have a lot of similar points about Silva vs Bisping, and just focused on the techniques too, so I don't get why people have been giving Jack a hard time about the match up.

P

Punch

I enjoy doing these for you folks. I also did a transcript of the 4th round too. I noted all the strikes landed with the times included. I was thinking about posting it, but it already seems people already agree on the most part that rd 4 went to Bisping.

Jack has got his unique perspectives too. I appreciate what he does. We actually have a lot of similar points about Silva vs Bisping, and just focused on the techniques too, so I don't get why people have been giving Jack a hard time about the match up.
I didn't know people were giving jack a hard time. What's not to like from the guy? Odd.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Another great write up.

The key to beating Silva, other than waiting for father time to do it for you, seems to be the basic of keeping tight and controlling the timing. Despite Silva looking like he is doing a lot as he baits a counter, he bends and steps at a fairly consistent pace.
Weidman took advantage of this with the double up.

I like where you show:

Bisping moves with the left jab and left hook, neither ready to over commit and he's already on his back step right away. Silva's ready to pull away right from those lefts away making that overhand right sloppy and from way back. Range problem fixed, Bisping then responds with a right-left.

After this, I was impressed at how much success Bisping had with a lot of 1-2's just refusing to over commit. He just kept his hands up, waited for the timing, landed, then reset and did it again.

Like Weidman, he refused to play the game...

View: http://i.imgur.com/1c7VgTO.gifv

Silva showed some flashes of excellence, but Bisping played a great tight game.

PeteyParker

Posting Machina
Feb 8, 2016

Really, what they saying about Slack and the match up. I must have missed it.

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
Really, what they saying about Slack and the match up. I must have missed it.
Just a few silly remarks here and there about him being British and favoring Bisping or whatever the internet likes to complain about. I guess that's the internet for you. Jack is just doing his job.

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
Another great write up.

The key to beating Silva, other than waiting for father time to do it for you, seems to be the basic of keeping tight and controlling the timing. Despite Silva looking like he is doing a lot as he baits a counter, he bends and steps at a fairly consistent pace.
Weidman took advantage of this with the double up.

I like where you show:

Bisping moves with the left jab and left hook, neither ready to over commit and he's already on his back step right away. Silva's ready to pull away right from those lefts away making that overhand right sloppy and from way back. Range problem fixed, Bisping then responds with a right-left.

After this, I was impressed at how much success Bisping had with a lot of 1-2's just refusing to over commit. He just kept his hands up, waited for the timing, landed, then reset and did it again.

Like Weidman, he refused to play the game...

Silva showed some flashes of excellence, but Bisping played a great tight game.
Totally! I think this showed fans as well as other fighters even more strategies to dealing with Silva's style.

One of my favorite rhythm breakers Weidman used was his signature the double cross. Fighters usually don't throw two crosses consecutively, so when it came out against Silva, it threw off his head movement and we got rocked.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eCkV5XlM3Y0/Udj30CH8bdI/AAAAAAAAOG4/hYm8BVqq_Qg/s1600/weidman-silva-ko.gif

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
One of my favorite rhythm breakers Weidman used was his signature the double cross
EXACTLY!
That's the double up I was talking about.

With Silva leaning back so far he has no where to go as he leans even FARTHER back. But there's weidman already moving feet foward in range to continue the combo. Awesome stuff man.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
There were some moments during the handfight, with Silva's back against the cage and his right hand low, where I was (in my wildly intoxicated state) screaming for Bisping to try to headkick him, but they both seemed content with trading punches, what are your thoughts on that? Why would you not try that other than you're fighting Anderson Silva?

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
EXACTLY!
That's the double up I was talking about.

With Silva leaning back so far he has no where to go as he leans even FARTHER back. But there's weidman already moving feet foward in range to continue the combo. Awesome stuff man.
Anderson honestly had me believing he adjusted his style because of his fight with Diaz. I still like seeing him fight since has some of the crazyiest K.O.s and has that ability to pull off some of the weirdest attacks.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Great write up man, keep em coming! I felt silva looked far more deadly when he showed glimpses of aggression without clowning.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Awesome as usual.

I told you before : you make me feel like training boxing/kickboxing.
I'm not training now because of work and little kids...but once I'm back.

Basically I love grappling but with all those awesome breakdowns you make me see what I was missing...
And I always liked boxing so....

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Awesome as usual.

I'm not training now because of work and little kids...but once I'm back I'll be on the lookout for a gym and...

Basically I love grappling but with all those awesome breakdowns you make me see what I was missing...

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
There were some moments during the handfight, with Silva's back against the cage and his right hand low, where I was (in my wildly intoxicated state) screaming for Bisping to try to headkick him, but they both seemed content with trading punches, what are your thoughts on that? Why would you not try that other than you're fighting Anderson Silva?
Thanks for the feedback my man.

It almost seemed like Bisping was just more cautious than usual with his corner constantly telling him not to engage in Anderson's trap. From a technical perspective, once he's on the cage like that, he can't pull the head back, leaving only two sides to slip from. I would have gone for the kicks. The only drawbacks for Bisping using kicks is that it plays into the counter strikers game much better because if you do miss, there's an even bigger window for the opponent to counter you.

Bisping's kicking game isn't quite on the level as someone like wonderbody. By that, I mean the fact that Wonderboy has the intelegence to recreate the ability to open someone with kicks. Bisping's kicks aren't quite at that level where he can manipulate rhythm with kicks. It was a better investment to stick to what was working and what was a safer investment.

One of the keys to countering that head movement was killing anderson's head rhythm. Bisping had the tools to do that with his punches much better than with his kicks.

Last edited:

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
Awesome as usual.

I'm not training now because of work and little kids...but once I'm back.

That's cool. Even if you don't pursue it, my hope is that fans in your situation will be able to enjoy future fights that much more with a new outlook to the game.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
That's cool. Even if you don't pursue it, my hope is that fans in your situation will be able to enjoy future fights that much more with a new outlook to the game.
I certainly do.

Just finished reading your articles on mcgregor's hand fighting. Great read again.

I also posted a link of your silva/bisping breakdown on my Facebook. Let's spread the word out!