Dominick Cruz upset with referee over stoppage at UFC 249, claims he ‘smelled like alcohol and cigar

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
Unfortunate timing on that stoppage, but I’ve seen worse. It sucks for Cruz but his inability to accept it is what keeps the fire burning, that and basically calling Peterson unprofessional. It is what it is. If Cruz feels so strongly then he should appeal the stoppage and try and get Peterson’s license pulled, I doubt he succeeds in either, but I’d appreciate the drama.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Unfortunate timing on that stoppage, but I’ve seen worse. It sucks for Cruz but his inability to accept it is what keeps the fire burning, that and basically calling Peterson unprofessional. It is what it is. If Cruz feels so strongly then he should appeal the stoppage and try and get Peterson’s license pulled, I doubt he succeeds in either, but I’d appreciate the drama.
Yeah I don't agree with his comments either but I do understand his anger, he get's a TKO loss on his record when he might've survived.

Given the comments I've seen so far on social media like trashing him as a "blow job commentator getting KO'd by a 4ft Mexican" etc that outcome clearly really does matter, and a small element of the fan base will be acting like he KO'd him dead as long as they can.

I also don't think there being worse stoppages really has any relevance other than as a lesson for referees.

I honestly think some of these refs would be better off refereeing a sport like football (soccer) than one with violence.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah I don't agree with his comments either but I do understand his anger, he get's a TKO loss on his record when he might've survived.

Given the comments I've seen so far on social media like trashing him as a "blow job commentator getting KO'd by a 4ft Mexican" etc that outcome clearly really does matter, and a small element of the fan base will be acting like he KO'd him dead as long as they can.

I also don't think there being worse stoppages really has any relevance other than as a lesson for referees.

I honestly think some of these refs would be better off refereeing a sport like football (soccer) than one with violence.
I think the relevance of having worst stoppages is that it sets precedence. These things happen. They absolutely suck, but it’s human error. Also, it’s easy for me to say these things because I didn’t spend years rehabbing and mounting a comeback to suffer a defeat that I felt was wrong. It really sucks because there was seconds left in the round and it was an exciting fight. I would have liked to see more, but I’m not upset over it.
I wasn’t aware of the social media stuff but I’m not surprised, people like to twist the knife if they know it will chap your ass.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I fucking DESPISE Cruz, but the ref should have let it go. He was moving as he took hits. And, honestly, I never liked that little creep (ref).

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
They keep calling Cruz "UFC royalty" last night. So being 5-2 in the UFC with 2 wins over Uriah makes you "royalty"?

He was eating shots to the face with his hands on the mat...fair stoppage imo.

Didn't watch this fight but from reading your post I already can guess with certainty it was Anik saying some stupid shit like "UFC Royalty"

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
Didn't watch this fight but from reading your post I already can guess with certainty it was Anik saying some stupid shit like "UFC Royalty"
Cormier was saying he's been the man to beat since the division was created, bit awkward lol

he's been more like the guy who beats his meat

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
You should have heard him on his podcast with Kenny Florian today. It was reminiscent of John Madden and Brett Favre. I get it though, they’re good friends but he was laying it on pretty thick.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Peterson should immediately be suspended. Maybe indefinitely. A sport has no room for that kind of bullshit back and forth from officials who have to be impartial. Fighters are putting it all on the line and get interviewed right after they get their heads kicked in. They need to be given some leeway re: flying off the handle. Refs and Judges should have absolutely none...

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
You should have heard him on his podcast with Kenny Florian today. It was reminiscent of John Madden and Brett Favre. I get it though, they’re good friends but he was laying it on pretty thick.
John Annik is an idiot dick sucker... I don;t think I like a single announcer for the UFC outside of Joe. FFS Goldie is about 100 times better than these fucking idiots and personality-less fighters turned broadcasters...

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Peterson should immediately be suspended. Maybe indefinitely. A sport has no room for that kind of bullshit back and forth from officials who have to be impartial. Fighters are putting it all on the line and get interviewed right after they get their heads kicked in. They need to be given some leeway re: flying off the handle. Refs and Judges should have absolutely none...

I was going to pre-emptively post that some dipshit would make this argument. Congratulations on being that dipshit.

So Cruz is allowed to slander the referee and threaten his livelihood without consequence, but the referee isn't allowed to defend himself? What sort ridiculous, backwards logic is that?

If Peterson had come out and said 'I wasn't drunk' it would just legitimize the accusation. By mocking Cruz, he was able to defend himself without giving the accusation credibility. Perfect response.

What we need from refs and judges is transparency. And that means also letting them defend themselves from attack.

MartyLife

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Feb 7, 2020
He should be upset at himself for forgetting there's a position called "The Guard" that allows you to recover on you back which is safer than being in turtle and getting hammered while trying to get to the feet...

I'm noticing this a lot lately; people refusing to be on their back trying to stand (when hurt) and getting hurt worse.
Sometimes, it's okay to spread your legs.

Namaste

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
He should be upset at himself for forgetting there's a position called "The Guard" that allows you to recover on you back which is safer than being in turtle and getting hammered while trying to get to the feet...

I'm noticing this a lot lately; people refusing to be on their back trying to stand (when hurt) and getting hurt worse.
Sometimes, it's okay to spread your legs.

Namaste
This is a good observation. Here's an actual notoriously bad stoppage. And you can see what makes it so bad. Riley attempts to protect his head, attempts to control the punches, and attempts to control his opponent's ability to land punches by trying to move to guard. All of these things should let the ref know that he is intelligently defending himself.

And you're going to say that this is a 'bad stoppage'?

I don't even know how it's an argument that a guy that refuses to protect himself or move to a defensive position while eating 13 punches can suffer a bad stoppage. The literal criteria is 'intelligent defence' not 'make the referee guess how conscious you are' and so many dipshits still don't understand this.

Rambla

Posting Machine
Nov 17, 2015
Pssst... ...That's not really him...

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
This is a good observation. Here's an actual notoriously bad stoppage. And you can see what makes it so bad. Riley attempts to protect his head, attempts to control the punches, and attempts to control his opponent's ability to land punches by trying to move to guard. All of these things should let the ref know that he is intelligently defending himself.

And you're going to say that this is a 'bad stoppage'?

I don't even know how it's an argument that a guy that refuses to protect himself or move to a defensive position while eating 13 punches can suffer a bad stoppage. The literal criteria is 'intelligent defence' not 'make the referee guess how conscious you are' and so many dipshits still don't understand this.
he is getting up, end of argument.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Pssst... ...That's not really him...
Fuck, there was another obviously fake account so that sucked me into thinking this one was the real one. This one just had a bunch of old retweets from Herb Dean from a bunch of boring ref seminars, before the jokes started rolling in. That's a ridiculous amount of effort for such an obscure troll account.

Turns out I'm a fucking retard. Ignore everything I've said. Early stoppage.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

I was going to pre-emptively post that some dipshit would make this argument. Congratulations on being that dipshit.

So Cruz is allowed to slander the referee and threaten his livelihood without consequence, but the referee isn't allowed to defend himself? What sort ridiculous, backwards logic is that?

If Peterson had come out and said 'I wasn't drunk' it would just legitimize the accusation. By mocking Cruz, he was able to defend himself without giving the accusation credibility. Perfect response.

What we need from refs and judges is transparency. And that means also letting them defend themselves from attack.
Only a child would think that tweeting stupid shit is a way that adults should defend themselves against what you state are serious accusations of slander.

Congratulations on being immature...

lol

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Only a child would think that tweeting stupid shit is a way that adults should defend themselves against what you state are serious accusations of slander.

Congratulations on being immature...

lol
You want Peterson fired because a troll account sent out a fake tweet, and you think that makes you mature. LOL. We are both dipshits for getting sucked in by it.

But even in the fantasy scenario where Peterson did actually send that tweet - LOL at thinking that wanting the victim of vicious slander to be fired for responding to said slander makes you 'mature'. Incredible logic.

In that situation, you can either give the allegations credibility by threatening to sue Cruz or demanding an apology, which gives the whole story more oxygen and a chance for Cruz to double down and make it worse. Or you could mock the allegations and the person making them, thus pouring cold water on it and making the allegation seem rightly ridiculous.

Now, it would be a risky defence in case there were some athletic commission official with the same idiotic reaction as yourself. But it would not be an immature way of defending yourself. Threatening to sue would be immature, and that's where lots of people immediately turn to when slandered.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
You want Peterson fired because a cutie pie account sent out a fake tweet, and you think that makes you mature. LOL. We are both dipshits for getting sucked in by it.

But even in the fantasy scenario where Peterson did actually send that tweet - LOL at thinking that wanting the victim of vicious slander to be fired for responding to said slander makes you 'mature'. Incredible logic.

In that situation, you can either give the allegations credibility by threatening to sue Cruz or demanding an apology, which gives the whole story more oxygen and a chance for Cruz to double down and make it worse. Or you could mock the allegations and the person making them, thus pouring cold water on it and making the allegation seem rightly ridiculous.

Now, it would be a risky defence in case there were some athletic commission official with the same idiotic reaction as yourself. But it would not be an immature way of defending yourself. Threatening to sue would be immature, and that's where lots of people immediately turn to when slandered.
It appears that this is Keith Peterson’s account. He roasts Angela Magana too.

Keith Peterson (@KPetersonMMA) on Twitter

Here’s the troll account.
No Nonsense Keith Peterson (@nononsekeith) on Twitter