Former NBA prospect prepping for MMA debut

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

At 6’8” and now around 260 lbs Royce White was the 16th pick in the 2012 NBA draft, but after a complicated battle with the league over mental health protocols and the NBA’s unrelenting travel schedule, he’s moving away from pro hoops and over to MMA.

From the sound of things, Royce White and the NBA got off on the wrong foot from the get go. Diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder as a teen, by the time White declared for the NBA draft, scouts and media were already wondering how much leeway he’d get with things like a fear of flying in the ‘League.’ The answer was, not much.

A recent profile from Sports Illustrated examined White’s shortlived NBA career – just three games – as well as his battles with NBA executives to push forward…

Former top NBA prospect prepping for MMA debut

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I remember this dude at Iowa St. He was a legit 6'-8" with point guard type handles and stupid court vision. One of my favorite players to watch back then. I thought he would be a star in the NBA but he always dealt with anxiety and a fear of flying, that ultimately ruined his career.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYRh5oEJ4U

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
An Athlete is a athlete.

Glad he found a outlet for his gift.

I bet the MMA schedule would serve him better than NBA.

Of course the pay aint the same.

But more gratification imo.

Wish him the best

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Wouldn't have thought anxiety and mma is a good mix. Just the last few weeks leading up to a fight would be a nightmare for him.
How's he gonna deal with an opponent eyeing him down and talking smack at weigh-ins?
How's he gonna handle leaving the change rooms and the walk out to the fight?

P.S. if he's 6'8, that reporter interviewing him is huge, must be 6'7... or standing on a box?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
great build for an elite kick boxer

loved those HW SHW K-1 days

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Also, i hope he has his anxiety issues under control. Getting in a locked cage in your underwear for a fight is far more terrifying than playing basketball. Is Xanax banned in the UFC?

MondoIDIOT

Better than you !
Mar 20, 2020
Also, i hope he has his anxiety issues under control. Getting in a locked cage in your underwear for a fight is far more terrifying than playing basketball. Is Xanax banned in the UFC?
James Franco is hilarious

And yes I can't wait to have an A LEVEL athlete join the rooster

Last edited: