How are you guys managing your rolls during the Covid-19 breakout?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Ah Gable.

Haha, that's a good story.
He was a gangster amongst gangsters. James Jeffries was the world's heavyweight boxing champion, and he was good friends with Burns. One night, Burns and Jeffries were at a house where guys were playing cards, and in strolls Stanley Ketchel. Ketchel is undoubtedly the greatest middleweight boxer of that generation, a Roy Jone Jr. level. And a reputation as a bad mofo. But Jeffries has beef with Ketchel, because Ketchel had a fight with Jack Johnson in the run-up to Jeffries' fight with Johnson.

Back then, guys fought every couple months, so they booked a 'work' with Ketchel and Jeffries. So Ketchel, Jeffries, and Johnson have an arrangement that Johnson will carry the fight to a decision, Ketchel gets money from the film and gate and doesn't have to lose. Also, Jeffries is trying to downplay the White Hope in his fight with Johnson. But Ketchel uncorks a shot on Johnson in the 12th like an asshole, and Johnson responds by laying Ketchel straight the fuck out. For a couple minutes. Famous photo in all the papers. Now Jeffries' fight with Johnson is all about Strong Mean Sambo Negro vs White Hope. Jeffries is pissed

So Ketchel shows up to the card game, and Jeffries asks him to leave. Ketchel ignores him, deals in a couple more games. Jeffries looks at Burns, nods at Ketchel and says "put that fellow out." Burns, 160lbs at his peak, walks over to Ketchel, grabs him by the shoulder and goon-walks him to the door, giving a shove towards the steps. Ketchel tucks, gets in his car, and leaves.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
He was a gangster amongst gangsters. James Jeffries was the world's heavyweight boxing champion, and he was good friends with Burns. One night, Burns and Jeffries were at a house where guys were playing cards, and in strolls Stanley Ketchel. Ketchel is undoubtedly the greatest middleweight boxer of that generation, a Roy Jone Jr. level. And a reputation as a bad mofo. But Jeffries has beef with Ketchel, because Ketchel had a fight with Jack Johnson in the run-up to Jeffries' fight with Johnson.

Back then, guys fought every couple months, so they booked a 'work' with Ketchel and Jeffries. So Ketchel, Jeffries, and Johnson have an arrangement that Johnson will carry the fight to a decision, Ketchel gets money from the film and gate and doesn't have to lose. Also, Jeffries is trying to downplay the White Hope in his fight with Johnson. But Ketchel uncorks a shot on Johnson in the 12th like an asshole, and Johnson responds by laying Ketchel straight the fuck out. For a couple minutes. Famous photo in all the papers. Now Jeffries' fight with Johnson is all about Strong Mean Sambo Negro vs White Hope. Jeffries is pissed

So Ketchel shows up to the card game, and Jeffries asks him to leave. Ketchel ignores him, deals in a couple more games. Jeffries looks at Burns, nods at Ketchel and says "put that fellow out." Burns, 160lbs at his peak, walks over to Ketchel, grabs him by the shoulder and goon-walks him to the door, giving a shove towards the steps. Ketchel tucks, gets in his car, and leaves.
That's awesome

M

member 603

Do you make the kids bow to the pictures before training?
I visited one gym over in Michigan once, the owner had pictures of Helio, Carlos, Carlson, his instructor who was a Carlson guy (I didn't know him), an American flag, a Brazilian flag, a Korean flag (his school taught some TMA too), a Japanese flag, and the Michigan State flag...... His beginning of class/end of class bow line was to bow down the line in front of every picture, salute the American flag and say "I pledge allegiance", then bow to the other flags..... He was a purple belt in this small school, after the class (he asked me to teach, I politely declined and I said to him I'd be honored to take his class at his gym), he asked what I thought of his teaching and asked for any feedback, I said "maybe you could dial back that bow line a little", he was like "I was nervous that you would think that I wasn't giving enough respect to them" LOL. Just pictures man, juuuust pictures.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
rolled with the lady last night
twice

first time she tapped me out with north south poke

second time I managed to take the back and put the third hook in...noones can defend

M

member 603

rolled with the lady last night
twice

first time she tapped me out with north south poke

second time I managed to take the back and put the third hook in...noones can defend
It's too bad that she thought you were her rest rounds though, she was just trying to let you get some work in before you inevitably gassed out and needed to take a few rounds off..... Psssh, white belts

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It's too bad that she thought you were her rest rounds though, she was just trying to let you get some work in before you inevitably gassed out and needed to take a few rounds off..... Psssh, white belts
yep
i'm pathetic

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
not surprised that a guy who doesn't even know the tax status of Mario Tabreau's private zoo has never heard of the greatest freestyle wrestler in the history of humanity.
Just making jokes, bro. I used to participate in seminars run by someone that competed under him at Iowa.

kristian82

Feb 26, 2020
I visited one gym over in Michigan once, the owner had pictures of Helio, Carlos, Carlson, his instructor who was a Carlson guy (I didn't know him), an American flag, a Brazilian flag, a Korean flag (his school taught some TMA too), a Japanese flag, and the Michigan State flag...... His beginning of class/end of class bow line was to bow down the line in front of every picture, salute the American flag and say "I pledge allegiance", then bow to the other flags..... He was a purple belt in this small school, after the class (he asked me to teach, I politely declined and I said to him I'd be honored to take his class at his gym), he asked what I thought of his teaching and asked for any feedback, I said "maybe you could dial back that bow line a little", he was like "I was nervous that you would think that I wasn't giving enough respect to them" LOL. Just pictures man, juuuust pictures.
Martial arts people can definitely be a bit weird. My coach is Carlson lineage, we have loads of different flags and pictures of aforementioned guys as well but we are UK based.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Anybody have their gym re-opening in the near future?
Any precautions? New guidelines?
@Rhino? Sounds like Florida is leading the charge on starting things back up.

hankstevenson

Lurker
May 29, 2020
I've been staying away completely for two weeks now. Chatting with my coach last night I inquired if there's any underground rolls going down with a select few members so I'm waiting to hear. You guys just avoiding it? Rolling with a couple friends?
Im avoiding it.. Practicing alone at home ever since COVID-19 has started and im not even if im getting better at it since i don't even have an opponent. :(

lamarclark09

Oct 20, 2022
I can easily manage even after the covid because I don’t stop the workout. I go for the walk and do exercise even a little bit of exercise at my home. The most important thing I keep doing practice this over and over again.