General How will you react to the ‘new normal’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I know you're being cute, but I actually agree with you. We still would need a vaccine though.
Statistically that's incorrect and I wasn't being cute. Initially I was very concerned as me information presents itself I reevaluate my position. We're not seeing 1 in 10 people who contract it die, and we're not seeing similar death rates across all demographics.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
can you tho? many elderly live with children and grandchildren. sometimes in cramped apartments
This is a valid point, but it's not as if people in those positions cant make their own decisions. If we didnt have anyone at home we'd be able to assign more help to those who pose the biggest risk.

This has been turned into Open vs Closed when there's a whole bunch of middle ground being entirely ignored because people have convinced themselves that good is the enemy of perfection.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
This is a valid point, but it's not as if people in those positions cant make their own decisions. If we didnt have anyone at home we'd be able to assign more help to those who pose the biggest risk.
I don't have the stats. but my gut tells me that this reopenkng is going to disproportionately kill lower class and middle class elderly. I guess business as usual for America lol

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I don't have the stats. but my gut tells me that this reopenkng is going to disproportionately kill lower class and middle class elderly. I guess business as usual for America lol
My parents are 66 (with heart condition) and 76 years old. I don't want them to get the Rona and die. They also don't want to get the Rona and die. So they're staying the fuck home. People need to take an actual risk assessment and make a decision but blanket closing everything is going to have horrible long term effects

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
it's only been 2 hours, and usually it takes 3 for me to forget things, but I'm gonna post this anyway since the timing of it works for this thread
hamster study lol

I found it funny they showed the mask with a valve that doesn't stop any of the particles...It only filters what you breath in but not what you breath out...which defeats the point of not infecting people

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
My parents are 66 (with heart condition) and 76 years old. I don't want them to get the Rona and die. They also don't want to get the Rona and die. So they're staying the fuck home. People need to take an actual risk assessment and make a decision but blanket closing everything is going to have horrible long term effects
agreed, unless congress passed relevant stimulus

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
hamster study lol

I found it funny they showed the mask with a valve that doesn't stop any of the particles...It only filters what you breath in but not what you breath out...which defeats the point of not infecting people
also, a zipper nullifies the point of tbe mask. so the only "benefit" is the "convenience" of pulling a zipper and eating through a mask as opposed to taking 2 seconds to remove it (im being sarcastic)

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
also, a zipper nullifies the point of tbe mask. so the only "benefit" is the "convenience" of pulling a zipper and eating through a mask as opposed to taking 2 seconds to remove it (im being sarcastic)
ya that video was almost all just jokes...even got a toilet paper hoarding joke in and a black vs white joke in

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
as an example, my mother is something like 70ish. high school teacher and still working cause she has to ... she's had strokes and is over weight. and if schools reopened, she is likely fucked

go back to work and die? retire, and lose her home at some point?

M

member 3289

Turns out that 10% mortality is way off the mark. It also appears that this idea of people catching it off of surfaces isn't the boogeyman we were all told it was.
I don't remember anyone with credibility claiming there would be a 10% mortality rate.

Also did you not read kneeblock @kneeblock's thread? He was sheltering in place and caught it from a surface

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I don't remember anyone with credibility claiming there would be a 10% mortality rate.

Also did you not read kneeblock @kneeblock's thread? He was sheltering in place and caught it from a surface
That was Italy's when people said "We're going to be the next Italy."

I'll call the CDC immediately and inform them that your anecdote supercedes their information pertaining the surfaces.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Statistically that's incorrect and I wasn't being cute. Initially I was very concerned as me information presents itself I reevaluate my position. We're not seeing 1 in 10 people who contract it die, and we're not seeing similar death rates across all demographics.
We can't know about 1 out of 10. The numbers are fucked. Per area and demographic it is drastically different, and the numbers are unreliable, unfortunately. Better safe than sorry? We are at this point regardless and if a stupid mask puts be back working then so be it. It's simply where we are right now.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
We can't know about 1 out of 10. The numbers are fucked. Per area and demographic it is drastically different, and the numbers are unreliable, unfortunately. Better safe than sorry? We are at this point regardless and if a stupid mask puts be back working then so be it. It's simply where we are right now.
That's disingenuous. We definitely know about 1 in 10 turns out it's probably more like 1 in 1000 when you consider the underreporting of recoveries and the overreporting of deaths.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
That's disingenuous. We definitely know about 1 in 10 turns out it's probably more like 1 in 1000 when you consider the underreporting of recoveries and the overreporting of deaths.
Definitely or probably? It doesn't sound exact to me. Sounds like we don't know.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
there's likely an under reporting of deaths since people who die at home arent being counted yet, unless I'm mistaken. id imagine the true mortality tho is like 0.5%.

we will see :(

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
there's likely an under reporting of deaths since people who die at home arent being counted yet, unless I'm mistaken. id imagine the true mortality tho is like 0.5%.

we will see :(
In some states anyone who dies with Covid is counted as a Covid death whether or not it was the main factor. I think its Colorado where they're going over their numbers and reducing them because of it. .5% seems about right for mortality.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
In some states anyone who dies with Covid is counted as a Covid death whether or not it was the main factor. I think its Colorado where they're going over their numbers and reducing them because of it. .5% seems about right for mortality.
is it a significant? I know trump used an example of "people with corona who fall down the stairs and die," but im not sure thats as many people as he might think it is lol

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
is it a significant? I know trump used an example of "people with corona who fall down the stairs and die," but im not sure thats as many people as he might think it is lol
In Illinois they were counting people who were already in palliative care before contracting Corona.