Kongo vs. Johnson to headline Bellator 161

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

A Heavyweight contest between Cheick Kongo and Tony Johnson will headline Bellator 161 on Sept. 16 at the H-E-B Center in Cedar Park, Texas.

Kongo (24-10-2) is on a two-fight win streak and is 6-2 under the Bellator banner.

Johnson (10-1) has won three straight fights, including two straight with Bellator.

Kongo vs. Johnson to headline Bellator 161

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Johnson vua boring decision

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Kind of weird that they just stripped Minakov but didn't want to give up his rights even though now he has even less of a reason to fight for them. In a sense he's being held hostage. Lots of hyperbole there but this is MMA after all.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Kind of weird that they just stripped Minakov but didn't want to give up his rights even though now he has even less of a reason to fight for them. In a sense he's being held hostage. Lots of hyperbole there but this is MMA after all.
But but bellator is way better to the fighters.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
But but bellator is way better to the fighters.
Minakov has had 4 fights outside the company since he last fought for Bellator. They only recently stripped him of the title and have never bad mouthed him in public.

You couldn't tell me with a straight face that Dana would extend that same courtesy.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Minakov has had 4 fights outside the company since he last fought for Bellator. They only recently stripped him of the title and have never bad mouthed him in public.

You couldn't tell me with a straight face that Dana would extend that same courtesy.
They sure as shit wouldn't need to be fighting outside of the company.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
From what I understand they are not giving him fights.
Still more of a money issue than anything. Here's Minakov talking about it in late January-

"Whether I defend or not will depends on the company Bellator, which is now being negotiated for improvement of our contract. I think everything is possible. And the fact that they have not played in two years of my absence, even temporary championship belt, speaks volumes."

"By and large, I am not concerned where I fight, whether Bellator or the UFC. I have the desire to fight in the United States .The main thing is to respect me as an athlete, and offer the conditions that I really deserve."

- I would hope they work it out, cause he's a great fighter. But it's been long enough that if they cut ties with him, I wouldn't miss him.