Maldonado lost manager for taking Fedor fight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Fabio Maldonado details how he was given a fight with Fedor Emelianenko, and how he lost his manager in the process.

Fabio Maldonado is very excited to fight Fedor Emelianenko in Russia on June 17th, but taking the bout ending up costing him something - his longtime manager, Alex Davis. The unusual circumstance came about when Maldonado was offered the fight and took it, thinking it wasn't that serious of a request. To the point that he didn't tell Davis about it, even after it was officially booked and he had flight tickets.

How did Davis find out? He was told by MMA Fighting when they contacted him. This led Davis to sever his relationship with Maldonado:

"It came from nowhere," Maldonado said. "(Stefano) Sartori asked me if I wanted to fight Fedor, and I laughed. I said…

Maldonado lost manager for taking Fedor fight: 'I made a mistake by not telling him'

Last edited:

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Pretty strange why Maldonado cares or thinks he's done anything wrong.
The manager probably quit in shame that he couldn't get Maldonado any fights and then with no effort Maldonado does a way better job then his manager and arranges a fight with the GOAT.

wiz

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2016
Maldonado by late dramatic finish, backing up fedor on the ropes and body and head shots to finish.

Just kidding, the fight is in Russia.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
On an unrelated note.... Here's Vadim and co as they're about to drop the hottest mixtape of 2016 or whatever year it is in Russia.

DFW4L

15 events before the end of 2016 - YOU'RE WELCOME!
Mar 23, 2016
Pretty strange why Maldonado cares or thinks he's done anything wrong.
The manager probably quit in shame that he couldn't get Maldonado any fights and then with no effort Maldonado does a way better job then his manager and arranges a fight with the GOAT.
Alex David is an old school highly respected manager, he will be fine

stielar

Posting Machine
Dec 30, 2015
Fedor should stay in Rizin or fight for Bellator. Especially now that ufc has booked Werdum vs Rothwell it is seems like either the ufc doesn't want to give Fedor the Werdum fight he wants or Fedor doesn't want to fight for the ufc.

Either way, I think the best move for him would be to fight for the pride 8-man open weight tournament. Hopefully Rizin can get some other big names as well like Rampage and Kharitonov and really bring back the Pride feeling.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is a pretty damn big story as far as I see, regarding managers, fighters, and that landscape.
I'm glad Maldonado understands and admits publicly his misstep.
If there is a fight for a manager to swallow while reprimanding his fighter it's vs. the GOAT, but if that precedent can be negotiated at all it reveals disrespect for the position.
I would say this is very unfortunate, and I hope their relationship can be mended as if before.
Obviously it's second nature to accept the fight, but, it should also be "let me talk to my manager" moreso.
It will be interesting looking back on this.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
That pretty much put the manager in a non win situation, he couldn't stand by and do nothing, have Maldonando think it's appropriate to take fights without telling him. Other fighters in his stable may think it's acceptable behavior too and take fights on their own. It also most likely hurt FM with the amount of income he's getting, his manager would have tried to get more cash and tried to get better terms for the fight such as Merchandisiing percentages and or maybe TV or PPV points. When a fighter is offered to fight a BIG named fighter that can be like a hero to him, he's not hinking with his brain regarding the financial end but thinking with his heart.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Fedor should stay in Rizin or fight for Bellator. Especially now that ufc has booked Werdum vs Rothwell it is seems like either the ufc doesn't want to give Fedor the Werdum fight he wants or Fedor doesn't want to fight for the ufc.

Either way, I think the best move for him would be to fight for the pride 8-man open weight tournament. Hopefully Rizin can get some other big names as well like Rampage and Kharitonov and really bring back the Pride feeling.
Fedor has always wanted to fight in the UFC. Fedor just didn't wan't the old Nate Diaz contract terms he was offered.
He rightfully wanted McGregor contract terms.... thin of it that way.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Fedor has always wanted to fight in the UFC. Fedor just didn't wan't the old Nate Diaz contract terms he was offered.
He rightfully wanted McGregor contract terms.... thin of it that way.
Rightfully? Why would he deserve the biggest paycheck in the promotion? Fedor is one of the best ever and no doubt is as exciting a fighter as anyone, but he doesn't draw what Conor draws. Ask a casual if they know who Fedor is. I'm not saying his first fight is going to flop or anything, but he doesn't deserve McGregor money because he hasn't made the UFC nearly as much money as Conor has, and the odds are that fact won't change in my opinion.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Rightfully? Why would he deserve the biggest paycheck in the promotion? Fedor is one of the best ever and no doubt is as exciting a fighter as anyone, but he doesn't draw what Conor draws. Ask a casual if they know who Fedor is. I'm not saying his first fight is going to flop or anything, but he doesn't deserve McGregor money because he hasn't made the UFC nearly as much money as Conor has, and the odds are that fact won't change in my opinion.
Don't take it so literally, man.
Think of the point of the post....

Last edited:

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
so Maldonado admitted he is gonna juice up HARD on peds for the fight with Fedor, and his manager doesn't want to be associated with scumbags that would do something like that AND boast about it beforehand?

fair play

at least he has some self respect

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
would you rather look like Maldonado with Fedor's record, or look like Fedor with Maldonado's record?

Harold_Howard_The_Duck

Canadian Heavyweight Poultry Champion
May 30, 2015
Are you being intentionally vague and mysterious or something? Lol

I understand that Fedor wasn't stoked about the contracts that he was offered. I obviously only took exception to the fact that you said that he "(rightfully)" deserved McGregor money. Was that a joke or something? I am not sure how I am supposed to interpret it differently.
I think he meant McGregor-ish money. As in millions not 100Ks I think the reasoning here is that if UFC signed Fedor and then invested McGregor-level hype money in promoting him (and did McGregor-level matchmaking) that Fedor would have been worth the big bucks.

Obviously Conor talks the million-dollar game and the Irish and Irish-American seem to be willing to spend $$$ to see him fight. Fedor would have been a slightly different play, but "the cool, collected, Russian destroyer" could have made Zuffa ton of cash as well.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
I think he meant McGregor-ish money. As in millions not 100Ks I think the reasoning here is that if UFC signed Fedor and then invested McGregor-level hype money in promoting him (and did McGregor-level matchmaking) that Fedor would have been worth the big bucks.

Obviously Conor talks the million-dollar game and the Irish and Irish-American seem to be willing to spend $$$ to see him fight. Fedor would have been a slightly different play, but "the cool, collected, Russian destroyer" could have made Zuffa ton of cash as well.
I agree that Fedor could definitely draw, but I sincerely doubt that in this MMA landscape he has the ability to draw close what Conor does. Conor was pushed, but he earned his push with charisma. Fedor has a certain level of that, and I definitely enjoy his demeanor, but it isn't as palatable to the mainstream. Fedor should get more than hundreds of thousands for his first fight, I agree with that, but the person to whom I replied did literally say "he rightfully wanted McGregor contract terms". I can't assume he meant anything different than Fedor deserving the McGregor treatment.

Harold_Howard_The_Duck

Canadian Heavyweight Poultry Champion
May 30, 2015
"
I agree that Fedor could definitely draw, but I sincerely doubt that in this MMA landscape he has the ability to draw close what Conor does. Conor was pushed, but he earned his push with charisma. Fedor has a certain level of that, and I definitely enjoy his demeanor, but it isn't as palatable to the mainstream. Fedor should get more than hundreds of thousands for his first fight, I agree with that, but the person to whom I replied did literally say "he rightfully wanted McGregor contract terms". I can't assume he meant anything different than Fedor deserving the McGregor treatment.
]

Kwing's reply was:
"Don't take it so literally, man.
Think of the point of the post...."

Think we can all agree that I summed up "the point of the post" before and we can move along now.

stielar

Posting Machine
Dec 30, 2015
It depends if you think of mma as a sport or if you think of it as theatre, like the wwe. If you think of it as a theatre, then Connor deserves more money than Fedor, he does indeed act whereas Fedor is being himself. If mma is a sport, and then people should get paid according to results / accomplishments / expertise then Connor should be carrying Fedor's luggage around.

Case in point, football (soccer for americans). Beckham was perhaps the most popular football player of his time, however, he wasn't the best paid football player.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Jan 8, 2016
It depends if you think of mma as a sport or if you think of it as theatre, like the wwe. If you think of it as a theatre, then Connor deserves more money than Fedor, he does indeed act whereas Fedor is being himself. If mma is a sport, and then people should get paid according to results / accomplishments / expertise then Connor should be carrying Fedor's luggage around.

Case in point, football (soccer for americans). Beckham was perhaps the most popular football player of his time, however, he wasn't the best paid football player.
Paying the more popular fighters more money does not mean that your focus is theater. It means that you pay people according to how much money they make you. Period.
Soccer is different because it is a team sport. When David Beckham was with the Galaxy, yes.. he made the Galaxy a TON of money but they made most of that money on the name of the team. The more popular team makes more money and then spends it on things that make it more popular, which would include the best players in the world. You definitely want to pay the top guys to make them happy and make them stay, but Fedor is not worth half what Conor is to the UFC. I am not saying I like Conor's fighting more than I like Fedor's fighting by saying that.