Melendez ready to enter UFC title mix: I've already 'busted up' champ Alvarez

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Eddie Alvarez' upset win against dos Anjos has inspired Gilbert Melendez to pursue the lightweight title, as he already feels he 'busted up' the champion at UFC 188.

After a full year's absence from the sport, Gilbert Melendez is ready to re-enter the UFC lightweight title picture as he prepares for Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 20.

'El Nino', who was suspended for 12 months after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs in his bout with Eddie Alvarez at UFC 188, says Alvarez' upset TKO of Rafael dos Anjos earlier this month at UFC Fight Night 90 helped reignite his championship spark.

Alvarez, a former two-time Bellator lightweight champion, blitzed dos Anjos with a flurry of punches in the opening round to seize the UFC 155 pound title. For Melendez, the message was clear:…

Melendez ready to enter UFC title mix: I've already 'busted up' champ Alvarez

Last edited:

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I still don't think Giblert can beat him, but he did bust his eye up.
Hahaah bro if you are going to use a fucked up eye then your argument is dead. It was a fight guys get hit, saying he busted him up is the same as saying he fucked him up bad and won.

FryedTakayama

Posting Machine
Feb 4, 2016
Gilbert should consider going to the Cowboy route and head up to 170. These 155ers are just too fast for him these days.

P

Punch

Hahaah bro if you are going to use a fucked up eye then your argument is dead. It was a fight guys get hit, saying he busted him up is the same as saying he fucked him up bad and won.
I disagree. You can get busted up and still win. And i like eddie, so please don't confuse this as bias.

That fight was a razor thin decision too.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I disagree. You can get busted up and still win. And i like eddie, so please don't confuse this as bias.

That fight was a razor thin decision too.
I agree with that as well (about the fight) I guess I just think when someone gets busted up I think ass whopping and getting a W. Although in Diego SancheZs case you can get busted up and win ala Kampmann

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
Gib did about the same thing tonight as the Alvarez fight... hit one big shot and had his opponent in danger for a moment, but got soundly outpointed otherwise

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
If Gil's corner wasn't going to give him any practical advice, then at least get in his face a little to communicate the urgency of the situation. I respect Jake, but I think a fighter like Gil should go old school when picking a corner man.

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
If Gil's corner wasn't going to give him any practical advice, then at least get in his face a little to communicate the urgency of the situation. I respect Jake, but I think a fighter like Gil should go old school when picking a corner man.

I'm not sure a "skrap pack" fighter has ever been behind on the scorecard according to their corner at any point in any fight ever

M

member 3289

Counter-punchers will always have trouble against a guy like Barboza. He's too fast and too accurate, so he'll win the counter-striking game all day.

The way you beat him, as Ferguson showed, is by relentless pressure, even if you have to get cracked a couple times. Barboza's one consistent weakness he has shown is his gas tank. Ferguson lost the first round against him but submitted him in the second, when Edson was completely exhausted.

P

Punch

Counter-punchers will always have trouble against a guy like Barboza. He's too fast and too accurate, so he'll win the counter-striking game all day.

The way you beat him, as Ferguson showed, is by relentless pressure, even if you have to get cracked a couple times. Barboza's one consistent weakness he has shown is his gas tank. Ferguson lost the first round against him but submitted him in the second, when Edson was completely exhausted.
I think that he'll struggle against rda, khabib, eddie and ferg because of what you just outlined.