General Netflix film "glamourising kidnapping and rape" says Duffy

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
Duffy, the Welsh singer who last year revealed she had been kidnapped, drugged and raped a decade ago, has called on Netflix to pull the film 365 Days.

The Polish film tells the story of a woman who is kidnapped by a man and given a year to fall in love with him. It has been compared to 50 Shades of Grey, and has proved to be very popular.

Duffy stated: ‘We all know Netflix would not host material glamorising pedophilia, racism, homophobia, genocide, or any other crimes against humanity. The world would rightly rise up and scream. Tragically, victims of trafficking and kidnapping are unseen, and yet in 365 Days their suffering is made into a “erotic drama”, as described by Netflix.’

Sounds to me like she has a good point there.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
that film is unintentionally funny due to how bad it is done,written etc. duffy is wrong though netflix does have a film about genocide called "beasts of no nation".

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
that film is unintentionally funny due to how bad it is done,written etc. duffy is wrong though netflix does have a film about genocide called "beasts of no nation".
Does that film glamourise genocide though?

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
I does not.
If that film had the people being genocided slowly falling for those who were killing them, and showed the killings in a gratuitous way (all slo-mo with blood spatter on the lens, following the bullets from the gun through their heads for example), then I have a feeling that there would have been complaints!

Thinking about it, this film is kind of like an adult themed version of Beauty and the Beast, which had a broadly similar plot. :)