One of the greatest kickboxers in history, "Iron" Mike Zambidis announces his retirement :(

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015

My all time favorite fighter - well known as not just one of the best ever, but perhaps the most exciting stand up fighter to ever live - Mike Zambidis, announced on his website that he will retire after 2 more fights.

For those unfamiliar with the all time K-1 great, I decided to create a thread showcasing some gifs, videos, and information on a man every combat sports fan would LOVE! I have never met a person who has seen Mike and walked away disappointed.

First, I am gonna post his retirement letter. My Greek is good but not perfect so I will try to translate what he says with as much passion as he wrote it. Because it's one of the most real, heartfelt goodbyes I have ever seen. It's hard to translate the emotion into another language when you are not 100% fluent but I will try my best. His words here sum up how he was in the ring to me. Someone who always came forward and never gave up, not even once.

After this, you can check out some of the all time great moments of his career, which I'll post below. Highlights, gifs, fight videos and stories. This is a guy who Jack Slack and others ADORE - if you're familiar with him, you already know why.. and if not, you're about to find out!

Here's what Mike had to say:

::[ Ανακοίνωση Μιχάλη Ζαμπίδη | Iron Mike Zambidis ]::

-----------------------------------------------

"I want to thank those have supported me, being by my side for all of these years with your love and encouragement.

After 24 years of fighting, it's time to retire after my final two fights. They will be held on May 9th in Cyprus, and my final fight will be in Athens in June.

I've had 177 fights, with 154 wins & 87 KOs. The experience, wisdom and risks taken in my championship kickboxing career are plenty - many of them priceless. I dared to learn and force myself to succeed in something most cannot do. I learn to use fear to motivate myself to victory. I learned that when I lose, it's only to come back stronger, more experienced and to fight for my dreams with a vengeance.

For me, my best defense is offense. I learned that I can fight with the best in the ring, regardless of size, strength or skill, that I can knock them out with the right training and strategy.

I've learned that with faith, belief, perseverance, discipline and love, that I can make any of my dreams come true. When one is truly motivated, there is no sacrifice in what we do - only joy in training and preparing for the fight.

The journey was very hard, but through repetition and training, fighting became instinct. I'm proud to say I was able to step in with the greatest fighters in the world. I'm proud of my 15 world titles. From my first fight I have always come out with the Greek flag on my chest, and the cross. I wanted to represent our culture, country, history and people with pride. I wanted to show the world what we stand for always.

I hope you can come and support me in my final 2 fights.

Respect

Mike Zambidis"

-----------------------------------------------

Mike was the smallest fighter in K1 history, and yet was known for knocking out opponents cold who outweighed him by 40 lbs or more on a regular basis.. while being only 5'4". The only weaknesses of his career were reach and low kicks, due to his constant size disadvantage, as seen in his gutsy efforts against Buakaw (losing by decision).

Below, I'll post some of his career highlights, scattered with awesome gifs and videos that any fight fan must see. Not only is he one of the most powerful punchers of all time, he was incredibly creative - known for his wild combinations and flying knee knockouts. He's won 15 world kickboxing titles and is known to be one half (and the winner) of the universally recognized single greatest fight in K-1 MAX history - against Chahid El Hadj in 2010. More on that later!

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
The best of Mike Zambidis:

He was the first man to ever defeat Kid Yamamoto by knockout, who had only lost once by TKO early in his MMA career, and a decision in kickboxing in his 2nd fight to the K1 MAX champion, Masato. This was when Kid was on a 15+ fight winning streak in MMA and thought to be the next big thing, an untouchable fighter.

Zambidis put a stop to that and changed his career forever

Here's the full fight. This is ripped straight from the Japanese DVD, and shows really cool backstage footage before and after the fight itself. You can see Kid Yamamoto's family in tears as he drops to the canvas. Devastating.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqt1IFPpxL0

As mentioned, Zambidis is considered one of the hardest hitting fighters pound for pound in any combat sport - the man weighs 140 lbs, and yet, has knocked out heavyweight kickboxing champions. Zambidis not only fought in lower weight classes, but was known for fighting in open weight matchups all over the world - including a famous fight that took place in Melbourne, Australia, that garnered massive media attention there and in Japan.

Gurkan Ozkan, from Turkey, was an Australian kickboxing champion. He'd faced and beaten many top fighters over the years, including kickboxing legend Stan Longinidis. He'd also gone to war with Mark Hunt and many other heavy hitters. None who were able to knock him out..

Stan Longinidis was Zambidis' trainer, and there was massive bad blood leading into the Longinidis vs Ozkan fight. After Ozkan got the win, a feud between Zambidis and Ozkan developed - despite the fact that they were massively different in size and weight, the student wanted to avenge his teacher.

Zambidis fought Ozkan in an open weight kickboxing match, under special 12 round rules (the fight was billed as "No Respect", and in early 2000s kickboxing in Australia, rules were quite loose).. Pretty much unheard of in kickboxing. It's like having a K1 MAX fighter face a heavyweight... in a 12 round bout. The standard for kickboxing is 3x3minute rounds, or 3x5 occasionally. This would be a full, boxing length match of 12 rounds, because both men wanted to finish the fight. Neither wanted it to end with a judges' decision.

Things got heated and the two nearly came to blows at the press conference, which is extremely uncharacteristic of Zambidis. There was tension as Ozkan tried to play up the Greek vs Turk rivalry, publicly insulting Zambidis' culture and country at every turn. Ozkan instigated it by trash talking and pouring water over his face, even swinging at Mike while he remained cool and ready.

The public could not wait to see this match, all across Australia, Japan, Greece and Turkey.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQYFU1SGxnQ

They fought for all 12 rounds, in a back and forth war, until Zambidis did what not even Mark Hunt (or any other fighter at that point) could - he'd knocked Ozkan out, COLD, right on his face - in the 12th round of one of the most unique, historic kickboxing matches ever.

There is no gif online. However, here is a clip of the knockout from round 12. A must watch - Zambidis hits Ozkan with such a hard shot that he collapses like he'd been shot. Michael Schiavello on old school commentary.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBS5oUcwBE0

Zambidis has faced more than a half dozen Turkish fighters over the years, and has never lost a single fight to any of them. He has stated many times that he feels no rivalry between himself and his Turk opponents, although they don't feel the same way about him!

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Known to many hardcore fight fans as "the greatest kickboxing fight in history", it was in November 2010 that Mike Zambidis became a name known across the world. In the Final 16 of the K1 MAX Tournament, the opening round featured a fight so spectacularly brutal, yet so technically astute, that anyone lucky enough to have seen it knew it was a classic within seconds of the opening bell.

Mike Zambidis vs Chahid Oulad El Hadj is a fight that happens once every decade. Similar to Hearns vs Hagler, Toney vs Jirov, Shogun vs Hendo and many other all time classic wars in combat sports.. Zambidis vs Chahid had everything that makes fight fans leap out of their seats.

From the staredown on, it was clear this fight was going to be intense - although no one, neither the people in the arena, the fighter's corners, the folks watching at home or the announcers (Mike Schiavello, Ray Sefo and Mike Kogan) quite realized what they were about to bear witness to that evening.

A knock down, back and forth, dragged out WAR that ranks among the best fights in history, revered and respected by all. A fight with the kind of heart, technique, resolve and will to win that is rarely seen at the highest levels of combat.

This is a must see for ANY fight fan. If you have never seen this, you are in for a treat. If you have seen it? You might as well click play again, because battles like these don't come around too often! Reliving this isn't the worst thing you can do with your time, that's for sure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5D244Hkfk

The above is the full version with entrances - including Zambidis' famous entrance theme "The Zeimbekiko of Evdokia".. an all time classic that only adds to the fight's epic feel.

Despite this take place somewhere near 4 am in America due to time zone differences, the next day, fight forums were alight with posts from EVERYONE - fans, and even Michael Schiavello himself going on popular MMA message boards ranting and raving about the fight everybody had to see!

Shortly after, hardcore fans across all martial arts knew the name of Mike Zambidis - no longer was he just a bad ass kickboxer known by that niche fan base, he was now the top story on popular websites like Sherdog, MMA Junky, Bloody Elbow and more. The headlines such as "MUST SEE - KICKBOXING FIGHT OF THE CENTURY" piqued the interest of casual fans, resulting in the video spreading and receiving millions of views in mere days.

It was unanimously rated in an online poll and K-1 staff vote as both fight of the year, and fight of the 2000's.

This remains the signature win of Mike Zambidis' storied career, and in one single fight, shows exactly what the man is all about - in his own words - belief, perseverance, discipline and the will to fight.

They later had a rematch in Spain, where Zambidis won by KO

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXYTDONVI_Y

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
To cap off the showcase of the immense talent at hand, I'd like you all to check out this highlight video. With one stunning knockout after another, it's hard not to sit there with your jaw dropped over how much skill, power and speed such a small man can possess. Truly one of the best pound for pound kickboxers in history - and this video showcases why!

This HL is must see! Flying knees, body kicks, headkicks, devastating handspeed and power, with many knockouts of guys in much higher weight divisions... Need I say much more?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-bSAmXgx4

To add to the visual aspect of this tribute to Mike, here are a collection of gifs featuring some of his best moments in the ring.

---------------------------------------------------

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
his handspeed and power are rare..love watching him fight...

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I know this is a lot to take in guys, but I wanted to write up something about my all time favorite fighter.. and show why he's so great to anyone who may not know him yet.

It may be a long read, but trust me, I took my time on this. The vids, gifs, etc... Once you get to know this guy, it's impossible not to love him!

I will probably be able to get a stream of his final fight for the forum. I'll update if so. My friend can share her cablebox over an app, so we may be able to get a private stream for it.

Anyway, enjoy everyone! Watch those videos and gifs, all of them! You will NOT be disappointed!

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I thought that greek flag on his chest was a tattoo but if i look at couple of those pic, it looks faded and painted on.

All in all great fighter love watching him slug it out, a true warrior.

Last edited:

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
He gets a temp/henna style tattoo done of it each time he fights

He also used to get the Puma logo on his shoulder because he had a big money sponsorship with them. Took me a while to realize they were not permanent lol.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
How many dudes, in any sport, strike like THAT? I mean man.. anyone who likes watching high level MMA.. how can you not sit there and think "HOLY SHIT" when you see those gifs, that highlight etc?

When they say "K1 level striking", this is what they mean. Doesn't always translate to MMA, but man, it's beautiful to watch. Absolute artistry. I miss the K1 MAX days big time! Some of the greatest shows EVER!

La Paix @BirdWatcher @D241 RickStorm @RickStorm @Morpheus Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 girlandcoconut @girlandcoconut @Alienator IschKabibble @Ish Kabibble SickEye @SickEye sgotwalks @sgotwalks Robbie Hart @Robbie Hart Shy Guy @Shy Guy teamquestnorth @TeamSerraLongo @Song2 Priziesthorse @Priziesthorse ChaosOverkill @ChaosOverkill Ministry of Silly Walks @ministry of silly walks OhWhopDaChamp @MelE5150 BJTT-Rizzo @Frank Rizzo sebastien haff @de braco Stickgrappler @Stickgrappler jason73 @jason73 ThatOneDude @Thatonedude Star-Lord @Star-Lord P @Pro Ice and SO MANY MORE, I am tagging you all because you have to look at those gifs and at the very least watch that highlight

I know you all love MMA. I truly think anyone who loves fights would absolutely be in awe of this dude's abilities. Check that shit out.. and tell me he is not the man!

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
I watched his fight with Chandi for the first time last night. That was a crazy war. Both fighters had amazing chins.

Don't think it should have gone to a bonus round though.

Schiavello was going nuts

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I watched his fight with Chandi for the first time last night. That was a crazy war. Both fighters had amazing chins.

Don't think it should have gone to a bonus round though.

Schiavello was going nuts
I agree. Mike had him beat 100%. But I'm kinda glad it did cuz it only gave more action. Even the commentators said it was bogus lol. Their 2nd fight was good too. Mike KO'd him in it

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I just keep staring at those gifs, one after another

SO many others I wish were in gif form. But man. What a diverse striker. Such crazy power for someone so small. his technique was perfect. He's like Mighty Mouse in the sense he is so tiny so he has to be technically 100%. Except, he knocks giant dudes out, all the fucking time.

Here's a cool vid Lawrence Kenshin did called "How to beat tall fighters, featuring Mike Zambidis". He's a really great striking analyst, ala Jack Slack. Jack has done some cool pieces on Zambo as well. He's a guy everyone should study for sure!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2M32B7BtxA

Star-Lord @Star-Lord Cody Gibson @Cody Gibson Jimmy Smith @Jimmy Smith Sarah "Cheesecake" Moras @Sarah "Cheesecake" Moras Chris Beal @Chris Beal (hey ya never know who might stop by and see this) .. Just a few fighters I thought of on here who would love to see something like this. I feel like this stuff can be utilized for anybody, any time they go against someone with height on them. He is the best. Check out the gifs in the posts above this!

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Seriously, the first 2 minutes of the video above (the breakdown one) is absolutely unbelievable. He hits guys way bigger than him and they literally fly across the ring, like they have been shot. It doesn't even make sense. His technique is absolute perfection.

This is someone that IMO, everyone learning MMA should study AT LENGTH. Can you imagine a guy with that type of ability, speed and diversity in MMA, striking wise? Jesus that'd be fun. The power to his punches, the ridiculous flying knees.. It's the power that really gets me though. I just can't fathom how hard he can hit. He knocks out guys in a more brutal fashion than most heavyweights.. and he's made an entire career out of it.

He literally is like a mini Tyson. He may have even more power than Tyson pound for pound. I mean, FUCK.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
A better Superman punch than GSP

A better flying knee than Jose Aldo

and a right hook that brings Tyson-esque devastation

Nevermind when they're mixed all together in split second combinations, with ruthless body kicks. I would never want to fight this dude. The way he puts together everything so smoothly is poetry in motion. Check the gifs above, or that technique video posted. Seriously though. How can anyone not love his style?

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
I was about to say that his flying knees were something else. Plus he has to get way up there to land em. Probably generates even more power.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Zambidis was always in an entertaining fight. Just his in your face, attacking style. Even his losses were exciting. CRAZY power for a guy that fought guys a lot bigger than him, more times than not. Hope he enjoys retirement...he deserves it.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
He has 2 different gyms in Greece. One day I am gonna go there. I must. They both look awesome. Also, at least from what I know, lots of people are training there and hoping to bring a new generation of fighters. That'd be good.

Check this out. Gym 1 in Glyfada

How nice does that place look? Jesus.

Here's gym 2 in Agia Paraskevi

That's some top of the line shit. He certainly made some money in his long career.. good for him. K1 heyday was big bucks.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
just finished the kid yamamoto fight. He made kid look very average. Landed what looked like a flying knee to the body in the 2nd round that hurt Kid bad and he was in defense mode the rest of the fight.

Mike came out like a psycho in the 3rd and landed that beautiful superman punch. That was the beginning of the end.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
teamquestnorth @TeamSerraLongo - check this one out

Short, but ridiculous. Like 3 knockdowns ending in some of the most brutal sequences ever, like from a video game

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7atZELaVcio
That flying knee/body kick/jab/right hook combo? All at once?
Wow. The ref should have probably waved that one off after the 2nd knockdown.

I liked the switchkick right before the first knockdown.

Why didn't zimbidis fight in mma? Or did he? He would have been a good fit in pride if they matched him up with other strikers like maybe Bang