Randy Couture spent $500k fighting UFC in court, expects tough road for GSP

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Randy Couture spent $500,000 fighting UFC in court, expects tough road for Georges St-Pierre

“They’re going to hire the same lawyers and do the same thing to keep Georges in line and keep Georges fighting for their brand,” Couture said Wednesday.

The UFC Hall of Famer went toe-to-toe with a few of the lawyers representing the industry leader over a 13-month fight to achieve free agency. Multiple fronts opened, with now-former owners Zuffa suing then-champion Couture in Nevada and billionaire Mark Cuban suing Zuffa in Texas.

In a highly public “resignation” from the UFC in 2007, Couture cited ongoing disputes with management and a desire to put together a bout with heavyweight great Fedor Emelianenko. The UFC retorted: “The Natural” had violated his contract and owed two fights.

After victories on both sides in court, Couture and his longtime promoter were poised to spend a lot of time and money hashing the matter out. Couture saw the writing on the wall.

“I settled because I was 45 years old,” he said. “They were going to drag it out as long as they could and basically try to bankrupt me. I’d already spent $500,000 of my own money to pursue getting away and being able to make the biggest fight of that time happen.”

Randy Couture spent $500,000 fighting UFC in court, expects tough road for Georges St-Pierre

Porkchop

The Other White Meat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
GSP's situation is a bit different isn't it? The UFC has to give him a new contract unless I'm mistaken. They can't allow Georges to fight under his old contract because then he wouldn't have to wear Reebotch. So in order to give him a fight offer, they have to be willing to renegotiate his contract and if they can't come to an agreement, seems like he may be able to walk.

It's not as simple as Georges being mad at them and wanting to fight Fedor. Georges wants to fight for them. They just have to make it worth his while or he can walk away.

That's how it looks to me at least. Maybe I'm wrong. I probably am wrong tbh.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
GSP's situation is a bit different isn't it? The UFC has to give him a new contract unless I'm mistaken. They can't allow Georges to fight under his old contract because then he wouldn't have to wear Reebotch. So in order to give him a fight offer, they have to be willing to renegotiate his contract and if they can't come to an agreement, seems like he may be able to walk.

It's not as simple as Georges being mad at them and wanting to fight Fedor. Georges wants to fight for them. They just have to make it worth his while or he can walk away.

Agree. The only similarities are both were going to court against the UFC regarding contract issues. GSP's complaints look justified and also represent the feelings of a lot of UFC fighters pertaining to the Reebok deal and loss of income. For the UFC to lose this battle could open up the floodgates of other fighters starting to sue the UFC over their contracts and loss of income to the Reebok deal. You'd think they would want no part of it and just pay one of the greatest stars the UFC has ever had to avoid this. It's not like the UFC is going to lose cash paying GSP what he wants. It may even help the image of the new owners with fans if the UFC settles this and brings GSP back, longer this goes on the worse they will look.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Agree. The only similarities are both were going to court against the UFC regarding contract issues. GSP's complaints look justified and also represent the feelings of a lot of UFC fighters pertaining to the Reebok deal and loss of income. For the UFC to lose this battle could open up the floodgates of other fighters starting to sue the UFC over their contracts and loss of income to the Reebok deal. You'd think they would want no part of it and just pay one of the greatest stars the UFC has ever had to avoid this. It's not like the UFC is going to lose cash paying GSP what he wants. It may even help the image of the new owners with fans if the UFC settles this and brings GSP back, longer this goes on the worse they will look.
Rumor has it that it's actually the new owners that stopped a deal from being finalized. A lot of the terms had been worked out and just needed to hammer out some details and then WME killed it. Allegedly.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Not the same by any means. GSP's representatives say his contract has been legally terminated. The UFC says it hasn't. What is the same as the Couture situation however is, it appears this is going to be fought in court and that could take years & a lot of money.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
Rumor has it that it's actually the new owners that stopped a deal from being finalized. A lot of the terms had been worked out and just needed to hammer out some details and then WME killed it. Allegedly.
GSP said to Arial Helwani the deal was almost done when he was dealing with Lorenzo then at the last minute said it had to be put on hold because of the sale. YUP! Sounds like it's the new ownership or Dana is still upset on how GSP left the UFC.