Recommend me an HD antenna please

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Looking to pick one up for Christmas. Preferably indoor. Was looking at this one at Best Buy.

But share your experiences with me, and offer any advice. Thanks.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
i'd say shop around on ebay/amazon etc usually bestbuy is a bit more expensive.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I use this one.
GE Pro Crystal HD Amplified Antenna - Walmart.com

Works great and I get NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and a bunch of others in full HD.

But I live in the city, so I'm not sure how good it will do if your broadcast towers are far away. It says good for 40 miles, but all of my towers are 10 miles away.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Check your towers

AntennaWeb.org

Buy amplified

The one you linked has a strong history of high quality picture.

If towers are close, get the one you linked. Good reception.

If they are far, you'll want one with better range but some channels might be lower quality pixelation.

Also, since you own a home, consider outdoor antennas as they can get crazy distances.
Again, always amplified.

check it

kids need ninja shit too
Jul 23, 2015
ETA: ha..i should read replies before i post..so...yeah what splinty said.

hey wild. i just went through the process of finding one. i got an indoor type and it didn't work for shit because of my location.

you should check to see how far the local stations transmitter tower dealio is from your house.
the distance will dictate which type you should get. if it's over 50 miles an outdoor above 30ft will work best...if it's closer you can get away with the easy to install indoor type.

you can check out your stations here Address

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Check your towers

AntennaWeb.org

Buy amplified

The one you linked has a strong history of high quality picture.

If towers are close, get the one you linked. Good reception.

If they are far, you'll want one with better range but some channels might be lower quality pixelation.

Also, since you own a home, consider outdoor antennas as they can get crazy distances.
Again, always amplified.
Up to 41 channels from 13 over-the-air stations may be received at this location. My towers are 6 & 7 miles away.

Here's my thing with an outdoor antenna....I gotta install the thing, and run cables to multiple TV's. I assume that is going to be a major pain in the ass? And it wont be easy trying to hide all of the cables?

Thinking I may buy one indoor antenna. Hook it up and see how it works...then think about what to do for the other TV's in the house. Thoughts?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
ETA: ha..i should read replies before i post..so...yeah what splinty said.

hey wild. i just went through the process of finding one. i got an indoor type and it didn't work for shit because of my location.

you should check to see how far the local stations transmitter tower dealio is from your house.
the distance will dictate which type you should get. if it's over 50 miles an outdoor above 30ft will work best...if it's closer you can get away with the easy to install indoor type.

you can check out your stations here Address
Thanks for the info. The towers are 6 & 7 miles from me, so I'm thinking indoor antennas are the way to go.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Up to 41 channels from 13 over-the-air stations may be received at this location. My towers are 6 & 7 miles away.

Here's my thing with an outdoor antenna....I gotta install the thing, and run cables to multiple TV's. I assume that is going to be a major pain in the ass? And it wont be easy trying to hide all of the cables?

Thinking I may buy one indoor antenna. Hook it up and see how it works...then think about what to do for the other TV's in the house. Thoughts?
Your house is already wired for cable, no?

Installing isn't too bad depending on what you get and you should be able to easily tie into the existing wiring.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Your house is already wired for cable, no?

Installing isn't too bad depending on what you get and you should be able to easily tie into the existing wiring.
Yeah. Underground cable that runs into a panel in my garage...then distributes multiple cables out of that panel, up to my attic (that's asshole deep with blown-in insulation + a vaulted ceiling dead smack in the middle of the house), to multiple areas - wherever drops are to rooms with a connection. Then there's multiple runs to our basement as well.

So how would installing the antenna work in my situation?

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I drove around and knocked on doors.
Sparkuri LLC. Antenna removal service.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Yeah. Underground cable that runs into a panel in my garage...then distributes multiple cables out of that panel, up to my attic (that's asshole deep with blown-in insulation + a vaulted ceiling dead smack in the middle of the house), to multiple areas - wherever drops are to rooms with a connection. Then there's multiple runs to our basement as well.

Mobile homes have basements now?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015

You would just run a line from the antenna to the panel in the garage. There's only going to be one input so you would remove that "cable" line and hook up the RG6 from your antenna and then you're good to go for every room.

You could actually use the same method for the indoor antenna if you can get a decent enough signal in the garage.