Report: UFC to conduct diagnostic swab and antibody COVID-19 tests

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The UFC is hosting a trio of events in Jacksonville, Florida amid the coronavirus pandemic, starting with UFC 249 this Saturday. Safety has naturally been a main concern by many, but Dana White and UFC officials have mostly kept any specific medical screening and testing details private. More light is being shed about this now though, with a new report from ESPN stating the promotion will indeed be conducting COVID-19 tests.

According to the report, the UFC will administer “both the diagnostic swab coronavirus test as well as the antibody test” to fighters and their cornermen as soon as they arrive at the host hotel in Jacksonville.

Until those…

Report: UFC to conduct diagnostic swab and antibody COVID-19 tests upon arrival

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Is it normal that they have access to those tests?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
the tests are all bullshit

gotta play ball for liability purposes though so I get it

MondoIDIOT

Better than you !
Mar 20, 2020
What the fook?

I am not sure what the hell is going on but I must say that the food is with it

And if you don’t think it is with it then you need too kiss the ring .

Now bend down and kiss da ring you mother cooking clowns

Also I am CCC you cowards

I am a c4

Bitch

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
What the fook?

I am not sure what the hell is going on but I must say that the food is with it

And if you don’t think it is with it then you need too kiss the ring .

Now bend down and kiss da ring you mother cooking clowns

Also I am CCC you cowards

I am a c4

Bitch
wrong thread boss

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
This.......are the antibody tests gonna show carriers but asympomatic??????
The antibody tests just look for the actual antibodies in your blood that your immune system created to fight Covid if you've already had it or are currently fighting it.

The swab up the nose tests for active infection. And yes, even if you're asymptomatic it should detect the virus. There are issues with false negatives but I have to think that some of that is faulty testing procedures. For example, 2 of my coworkers had the test done over the weekend. The place they went let them administer it themselves so I'm almost certain that it's a shoddy test because of that. The place that I went the nurse did the test and shoved that swab so far in the back of my skull started to bulge.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Is it normal that they have access to those tests?
Yes. There isn't the shortage of kits that there was a month ago.

It seems that the biggest problem at this point is a lack of a coordinated testing approach in states as most PCPs aren't doing the testing and in a lot of areas that alone can make it harder to find places to conduct the testing. Hospitals are still turning people away for testing in many cases though unless the person has strong enough symptoms that may warrant them being admitted. Partially to conserve tests and partially to keep the facilities from being overrun with people that can just quarantine at home and be fine.

So the kits aren't exactly in a surplus now but there seems to be a lot of them available if you seek them out.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Yes. There isn't the shortage of kits that there was a month ago.

It seems that the biggest problem at this point is a lack of a coordinated testing approach in states as most PCPs aren't doing the testing and in a lot of areas that alone can make it harder to find places to conduct the testing. Hospitals are still turning people away for testing in many cases though unless the person has strong enough symptoms that may warrant them being admitted. Partially to conserve tests and partially to keep the facilities from being overrun with people that can just quarantine at home and be fine.

So the kits aren't exactly in a surplus now but there seems to be a lot of them available if you seek them out.
This is true, but it varies greatly from municipality to municipality as many are setting guidelines for who can and should be tested. Add to this healthcare facilities own guidelines and variable lab capacities and there truly is no universal answer. Here in Philadelphia, all testing required a primary care provider referral and my PCP had been instructed by the city that only healthcare providers or people with a confirmed exposure to someone who had tested positive should be referred. Gradually this expanded to high risk (60+) and just yesterday they broadened the guidelines to anyone symptomatic, including fever. There was also drive thru testing available at a couple places where you do the swab yourself, but you needed a vehicle to go, of course, and still needed a PCP referral. Rite Aid began offering drive thru commercial testing after completing an online screener, but I wasn't able to go there because I don't have a vehicle and they said they wouldn't see me. That site had a type of DIY testing. The only reason I got tested at all was because my breathing got bad and I had to take an ambulance in to the ER. They gave me the brutal nose swab, but to be honest, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. They do jam it way in, but only for a second then they do the other nostril. I got my positive test back within a few hours.

I was all stuffy for a full day afterward, so I don't envy the fighters who have to go through it, but if Dana and the UFC are determined to go through with this, I'm glad they're at least testing. My question is what happens when someone tests positive? If a cornerman is positive and their fighter is negative, do they both get sent home assuming one may be incorrect? Once they're tested, will they be quarantined? Who are they giving the antibody test to and which version are they using (because there's vast variability of reliability in those tests in particular). I'm really hopeful that this one event doesn't end up costing anyone their health or their life.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
This is true, but it varies greatly from municipality to municipality as many are setting guidelines for who can and should be tested. Add to this healthcare facilities own guidelines and variable lab capacities and there truly is no universal answer. Here in Philadelphia, all testing required a primary care provider referral and my PCP had been instructed by the city that only healthcare providers or people with a confirmed exposure to someone who had tested positive should be referred. Gradually this expanded to high risk (60+) and just yesterday they broadened the guidelines to anyone symptomatic, including fever. There was also drive thru testing available at a couple places where you do the swab yourself, but you needed a vehicle to go, of course, and still needed a PCP referral. Rite Aid began offering drive thru commercial testing after completing an online screener, but I wasn't able to go there because I don't have a vehicle and they said they wouldn't see me. That site had a type of DIY testing. The only reason I got tested at all was because my breathing got bad and I had to take an ambulance in to the ER. They gave me the brutal nose swab, but to be honest, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. They do jam it way in, but only for a second then they do the other nostril. I got my positive test back within a few hours.

I was all stuffy for a full day afterward, so I don't envy the fighters who have to go through it, but if Dana and the UFC are determined to go through with this, I'm glad they're at least testing. My question is what happens when someone tests positive? If a cornerman is positive and their fighter is negative, do they both get sent home assuming one may be incorrect? Once they're tested, will they be quarantined? Who are they giving the antibody test to and which version are they using (because there's vast variability of reliability in those tests in particular). I'm really hopeful that this one event doesn't end up costing anyone their health or their life.
the reliability is a real issue

both for false positives and false negatives

hopefully they don't have the tainted with virus test kits
check this video...timestamped
Fruit tested positive for the virus
FYI this president has a Doctorate in Chemistry

View: https://youtu.be/9WBAFQedumk?t=90

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I got my positive test back within a few hours.
How are you and how bad is/was it?

You should see the level of testing we have here in Ontario. "Are you a healthcare worker? Are you in a retirement home? If not, kick rocks."

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
who is is charge of this? is novitzki going to administer the tests and release the results a week after the event? that seems like the zuffa/wme way

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
How are you and how bad is/was it?

You should see the level of testing we have here in Ontario. "Are you a healthcare worker? Are you in a retirement home? If not, kick rocks."
We were the same until a few days ago. Apparently, here in Philadelphia, we've gotten to the point where there has been enough of a depreciation in hospitalizations to expand testing to anyone who has symptoms. The problem is after weeks of being told you can't/shouldn't come in, it's not clear how widespread the message is that there's more testing. If I hadn't had to go to the ER, I wouldn't have been tested most likely. Been having a good past couple days thankfully.