Roy Nelson apologizes for post-fight altercation with Big John but says ‘I wouldn't take it back

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Roy Nelson got back on the winning track at UFC Fight Night 95 when he scored a second-round knockout over friend and fellow heavyweight veteran Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva. But Nelson's post-fight theatrics drew just as much attention as his performance, as a visibly angry Nelson flipped off referee John McCarthy andlightly kicked McCarthy in the back over what Nelson believed to be a late stoppage.

"It was a push," Nelson said of the kick at the UFC Fight Night 95 post-fight press conference. "It was more of like, dude, come on.

"Then we had a conversation in the cage. I was like, 'Dude, he was knocked out.' And [McCarthy] was like, ‘No, he wasn't.' And I'm like, dude, I know what a knockout is. I knock people out. That's what I do for a living. I know what a knockout is. Just because the guy didn't roll his eyes into the back of his head, or shake, or whatever ... it was just one of those things."

Nelson on Big John kick: ‘I wouldn't take it back'

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
If bigfoot was out, stop punching him
That's kind of what I thought as he dropped at least 5 more punches on him that had intent written all over them and then he said "cmon, stop it"...... I'll have to watch it again but that's what I remember

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If bigfoot was out, stop punching him
Kind of agree. Maybe he figured if he stopped and BF got up but was out on his feet he'd be doing some more unnecessary damage smashing on him again?

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
That's kind of what I thought as he dropped at least 5 more punches on him that had intent written all over them and then he said "cmon, stop it"...... I'll have to watch it again but that's what I remember
at one point he definitely hesitated between punches.

this is really funny though. looks like the new bosses are okay with post fight push kicks - which is a good sign.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
at one point he definitely hesitated between punches.

this is really funny though. looks like the new bosses are okay with post fight push kicks - which is a good sign.
I don't see what Mcarthy did wrong? I just watched it again and I'm not a fighter and not a ref but don't see the issue.....Roy should have walked off if he thought he was out?

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
I don't see what Mcarthy did wrong? I just watched it again and I'm not a fighter and not a ref but don't see the issue.....Roy should have walked off if he thought he was out?
Nelson was right there staring into Bigfoot's eyes. I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about.

but he's doing his job regardless. I don't think the fact that he continued punching negates his claim.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I think Nelson was concerned for bigfoot. Poor big foot. How come nobody convinces him to retire like they did with chuck after several KOs?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
So after punching someone repeatedly while you think they are unconscious, which although understandable nobody is actually forcing you to do, you express your displeasure at having to commit an unnecessary assault by assaulting someone else. Then you apologize by claiming that you would do it again.

Makes sense.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
A lot of older (pre-TUF) fighters fucking hate BJM for a host or related, completely valid reasons.

Among them: (1) cop mentality, (2) is happy to influence the outcome of fights when (1) motivates him to do so, despite that the ref's job is to protect and ensure a fair fight and prevent fouls, without himself influencing the outcome of fights, and (3) cop mentality.

And a lot of people can't relate to this.

He thinks he's part of the show. No ref should think that.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Nelson was right there staring into Bigfoot's eyes. I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about.

but he's doing his job regardless. I don't think the fact that he continued punching negates his claim.
If he knows his opponent is out, he doesn't have to hit him to win. He can point it out to the ref and walk off.

I trust BJM over Nelson.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Dilemma created......you can't touch the ref......he cut Jason high for pushing a ref
Jacob Ortiz Sr. Cleary shoves BJM out of the way after R1 in his first fight with Chuck. I've always thought that we WAY overlooked because it was Jacob. Had it been anyone else, they likely would have been cut or at the very least had 6 months of free time.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
If he knows his opponent is out, he doesn't have to hit him to win. He can point it out to the ref and walk off.

I trust BJM over Nelson.
he can do that... and risk his KO win.

I trust neither though.