The GOAT B.J. Penn hints at retirement...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018

Could the curtain finally be closing on B.J. Penn’s legendary career? It appears the UFC Hall of Famer is coming to the realization that’s a strong likelihood.

Although Penn (16-14-2 MMA, 12-13-2 UFC) has etched out a legacy that includes becoming the first in UFC history to win titles in two weight classes, the past decade has been an ugly downturn for the former welterweight and lightweight champion.

In the cage, Penn has only struggled. He hasn’t won since a quick knockout of Matt Hughes at UFC 123 in November 2010, and his current seven-fight UFC losing skid is the longest in the promotion’s history. Matters haven’t been better outside of the cage, either, with Penn experiencing a bevy of legal issues, some of which were allegedly violent in nature.

At 41, Penn, who has retired twice before, said the idea of preparing for a high-level fight is a task he’s not currently – and may never again be – ready for.

“It takes a lot of work,” Penn said on a recent Instagram Live chat with longtime coach Jason Parillo. “It takes too much. Too much (expletive) work. At this age, it just takes too much (expletive) work. You never know what’s going to happen, but it takes so much work.”

Penn said that he’s asked daily what his fighting future holds, and it’s always mixed feedback.

“There’s so much people telling me to fight again,” Penn said. “Other people telling me don’t fight again. It’s a lot to take in.”

If Penn were to compete again, it wouldn’t be under the UFC banner. Penn’s most recent incident in February saw him hospitalized after flipping his vehicle in a possible DUI. That came roughly five months after UFC president Dana White finally released Penn from the organization shortly after he was caught on video fighting in the streets of Hawaii.

Following his previous retirements, Penn said he was lured back to the sport because it was one of the few things in life that made him feel fulfilled and happy. It gave him something to work toward, even if he wasn’t getting the winning results.

It appears some of that feeling still remains, because Penn admitted he’s still having a tough time finding his next step after fighting.

“If I can get anything else going it would be nice,” Penn said. “If I could get anything else going in life than just a fist fight, it would be nice. But it’s so fun and I love the process and all those things about it. Then you get in the gym and start doing good with active fighters and next thing you know you’re trying to fight and biting off more than you can chew. You might be, you might not be. But the process itself it’s a lot to just do a camp or whatever.”

Penn most recently competed at UFC 237 in May when he suffered a unanimous decision loss to Clay Guida. There’s a good chance that ends up the last fight of Penn’s career, and if that’s the case, he appears to be content.

Despite still having a part of him that loves to throw fists at another man’s face, Penn has seemingly accepted his position after fighting professionally for more than 19 years.

“I guess when you have something to prove that’s when you can fight the best,” Penn said. “It’s like, ‘Hey man, you already proved yourself.’ It’s not about proving myself, I just really like doing this. But you can’t go out and keep getting hurt. That just don’t make sense to anybody.”

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
To bad he is retiring. He is a promising young up-and-comer and I think he can be in title contention if he's stuck with it.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
madness that retiring is even a thing for BJ. his UFC career is over because he got sparked by that fat tart^ - surely to consider fighting in the lower leagues at his age is a noticeably bad sign.

I really hope his motives for bashing the guy are due to continued shit from the other guy. I find it easy to imagine BJ going after revenge

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
“Then you get in the gym and start doing good with active fighters and next thing you know you’re trying to fight and biting off more than you can chew.“

These have to be some low ranked fighters,
Or they’re taking it easy on a legend who stayed training/fighting far too long.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I know he could probably take me in a pasting but I thought he shelved his gloves up years ago.
Hopefully he never finds his way here to read this because I don't want to be mean spirited but the second GSP fight is probably my most watched fight it was so delicious.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
I know he could probably take me in a pasting but I thought he shelved his gloves up years ago.
Hopefully he never finds his way here to read this because I don't want to be mean spirited but the second GSP fight is probably my most watched fight it was so delicious.
You can touch the vaseline through the screen

homo fagit

Writer, and adventurer
Jul 17, 2018
I've watched his fight with Rory more than that. Canadian Psycho used to be so clinical

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I've watched his fight with Rory more than that. Canadian Psycho used to be so clinical
I had to Wiki check, completely forgot they fought. Apart from his suits I wasn't really much of a Rory fan.

I was at the fight in Newcastle where BJ licked Daddy's blood off his gloves, he just rubs me up the wrong way.