The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Took my Dirt bike out today for the first time this year. The area is called Bear Creek OHV in West Kelowna BC.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Here's a whale watching tour we did in Cowichan Bay BC at the start of our RV trip, I think around mid September of 2015

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I'm sure. Never had elk though - but I assume they taste like deer. Love me some venison steaks. Good stuff.
Oh venison is an incredible meat, I had some that was lightly seared in duck fat then served with mash and peppercorn sauce. Very similar to the human flesh my ancestors subsisted on, pork is a little closer though according to oral tradition.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I'm sure. Never had elk though - but I assume they taste like deer. Love me some venison steaks. Good stuff.
Elk is delicious! I wish I had more access to it in the Chicago area. The Gage on Michigan Ave. does an incredible roast saddle of elk (basically a double loin cut). I finally found a game meat shop out in the boonies and went and grabbed some elk strip steaks, it was the only cut they were carrying at the time.

It's super lean, so you can over cook it very easily. Anything beyond medium, and it will be shoe leather.

My sauce was figs, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries reduced in a cranberry lambic with a couple cinnamon sticks.

Served it with some some rustic smashed potatoes mixed with brie cheese (I fucking love brie cheese)

God awful picture, but you can still see I kept it medium rare, as it should be.

Man, I need to get back out to that place and get some more of these, but certainly get a thicker cut next time around.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Elk is delicious! I wish I had more access to it in the Chicago area. The Gage on Michigan Ave. does an incredible roast saddle of elk (basically a double loin cut). I finally found a game meat shop out in the boonies and went and grabbed some elk strip steaks, it was the only cut they were carrying at the time.

It's super lean, so you can over cook it very easily. Anything beyond medium, and it will be shoe leather.

My sauce was figs, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries reduced in a cranberry lambic with a couple cinnamon sticks.

Served it with some some rustic smashed potatoes mixed with brie cheese (I fucking love brie cheese)

God awful picture, but you can still see I kept it medium rare, as it should be.

Man, I need to get back out to that place and get some more of these, but certainly get a thicker cut next time around.
Damn that looks good.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
This is the stove I use. I love it. It boils water in a minute or two - which means less fuel usage.

A canister of fuel fits in the pot so when it's all put back together your stove is smaller than a coffee can.

It is a touch pricey ($100) - but I have zero complaints.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
My sleeping pad delaminated this weekend - there's a huge bubble on one quadrant of the pad. Sort of like the orange one in this picture, but my bubble is much bigger.

Pretty irritating. I'm going to send them an email and see if they'll replace it.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Here's a pic I took out by the Tetons in Wyoming. This is at Jenny Lake. The picture is actually upside down - what you are seeing is a reflection from the lake, and the sky that looks like it has asteroids all over the place are actually the pebbles at the shore of the lake.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Went on a short hike in The Badlands - South Dakota. Found a family of Bighorn Sheep. They were a badass crew.

Last edited:

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Went on a short hike in The Badlands - South Dakota. Found a family of Bighorn Sheep. They were badass crew.

Not far from where I live these bastards like to hang out on the highway. There is a tunnel through a mountain there so every time I drive through I slow way down because I'm scared one or more will be hanging out in there. This is the tunnel

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Sunset in Emigrant, Montana. I took this pic from the deck of a cabin my wife and I rented just north of Yellowstone.

Yes, I got laid that night. Haha.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Not far from where I live these bastards like to hang out on the highway. There is a tunnel through a mountain there so every time I drive through I slow way down because I'm scared one or more will be hanging out in there. This is the tunnel
I'm jealous bro. Beautiful country out there. I knew nothing about bighorn sheep (still don't) so I probably got closer than I should have. Actually not knowing anything about them - I definitely got too close. It's better to be cautious. But they didn't appear to be all that bothered by my presence - but once I was spotted the big dudes definitely kept an eye on me. Haha.

You are wise to slow down. Those dudes are big. The biggest thing we have to worry about hitting around where I am is a deer - and those can tear your car to shit. I imagine hitting a bighorn sheep would be bad news.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I'm jealous bro. Beautiful country out there. I knew nothing about bighorn sheep (still don't) so I probably got closer than I should have. Actually not knowing anything about them - I definitely got too close. It's better to be cautious. But they didn't appear to be all that bothered by my presence - but once I was spotted the big dudes definitely kept an eye on me. Haha.

You are wise to slow down. Those dudes are big. The biggest thing we have to worry about hitting around where I am is a deer - and those can tear your car to shit. I imagine hitting a bighorn sheep would be bad news.
I live in a fairly small town but a lot of people here no nothing about the wilderness. Years ago I was about a half hour outside of my town on the highway and my best friend was driving. We came around a corner and on the side of the road was a bull moose. The moron stopped the car and got out. Since the moose was on his side of the vehicle there was nothing but about 15 feet between him and the animal. I yelled at him to get back in the car, he told me after he didn't think it would do anything. To this day that is the biggest animal I've ever seen in the wild. That thing could've killed him in seconds.

My brother was charged by a grizzly a few years ago. He was hunting deer and he saw it charging at about 200 yards. Thankfully there was a big log between him and bear so as he shot he ducked and the bear went flying over the log and him. It disappeared into the bush as my brother laid there reloading. He eventually found the bear dead about 1000 yards away.

There is a customer of mine that was attacked by a female grizzly last fall. He was hunting with some friends but they weren't close by and he stumbled upon the sow with two cubs. He was immediately thrown by it and as he laid on his back it approached and tried killing him. He was bow-hunting so he grabbed an arrow and he started stabbing the bear until it finally gave up. I will never forget when his dad walked into the store and told us Chad had been mauled, I was shaking. This is a picture of him in the hospital.

His dad told us that there was a hole in his neck so deep that you could see into chest. Today he seems fine, there is scaring but nothing you can see if you didn't know.

Here is an article if interested: Grizzly attack survivor relates story

I live in a zoo but it's awesome. My house is on the edge of the forest and two years ago they found four cougars no further than a couple hundred yards from where I park my car.
:eek:

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Here's a whale watching tour we did in Cowichan Bay BC at the start of our RV trip, I think around mid September of 2015

I grew up on vancouver island about 6 hours north of cowichan bay. Close to robinson bite where the orcas gather to rub their bellies on the shoreline.

Commercial fished for many years and was neighbours with a guy who owned a whale watching charter company. Would go out many times with him fishing and diving. I have seen some amazing things in my lifetime growing up there.

Great vid!

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
they dont even bother moving off the road either