The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I was cutting down some trees yesterday and found this guy.

He's a toad. Stubby nose. Dry skin. Short hind legs.

M

member 3289

I followed that competition pretty closely. He was either tied or losing going into the final 3 days of the competition when he realized his competitors were following his Instagram story and going to the spots he was going to (the Everglades is fucking vast so only someone experienced with the terrain would've been able to spot the locations). So he said fuck that shit and stopped updating social media until the competition was over.

Lately he's been hitting these small islands when he goes to the glades, I think because he saw there was one couple that hunted for only 3 days (it's a 10 day event) and nearly won the competition with 6 snakes by focusing on the islands. Cowboy ended up winning it with 8.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
That's bad ass, I've never gotten to hunt hogs with dogs. I really want to go out with just a knife and some dogs and get some. We hunt from our boat for them on occasions, normally it's on foot or from the truck.

They are fucking disgusting animals.
i have some buddies that hunt pigs with dogs. I haven’t been, but I’ve seen lots of videos of them out. They have trackers on the dogs and shit, and the leather neck shields, so kind of cool in that regard. He usually goes out with like 8 dogs, but one is the leader. The part that gets me is that he usually loses a couple dogs a year. Hunting pigs with dogs and a knife is savage and primal.

I think you’re also in Tx, right? I’m in Austin and the pigs are fucking everywhere. I’m all for people taking those fuckers out. Cant kill enough of them IMO. They can fuck shit up so fast. I’ve been surveying a 1900 acre ranch the past few weeks and we’ve ran into them multiple times out there. Some big mofos too.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
i have some buddies that hunt pigs with dogs. I haven’t been, but I’ve seen lots of videos of them out. They have trackers on the dogs and shit, and the leather neck shields, so kind of cool in that regard. He usually goes out with like 8 dogs, but one is the leader. The part that gets me is that he usually loses a couple dogs a year. Hunting pigs with dogs and a knife is savage and primal.

I think you’re also in Tx, right? I’m in Austin and the pigs are fucking everywhere. I’m all for people taking those fuckers out. Cant kill enough of them IMO. They can fuck shit up so fast. I’ve been surveying a 1900 acre ranch the past few weeks and we’ve ran into them multiple times out there. Some big mofos too.
Damn, thats awesome, it's definitely rough on the dogs but they seem to love it.
Yea I am up in Denton County. We have them in our neighborhood, we sometimes get calls from neighbors to go take them out. Right now they are coming through our walking trails and tearing shit up so I've been bringing my 1911 when we go for walks in case we come across them.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Damn, thats awesome, it's definitely rough on the dogs but they seem to love it.
Yea I am up in Denton County. We have them in our neighborhood, we sometimes get calls from neighbors to go take them out. Right now they are coming through our walking trails and tearing shit up so I've been bringing my 1911 when we go for walks in case we come across them.
Yeah, the only qualm I have is the losing the dogs. Otherwise I fully support killing hogs. He has a couple dogs that are pets, and then others that are the hunters/working dogs. You're right though, the dogs seem to absolutely love it. His dad was a vet so he's fairly handy with fixing the dogs up after a hunt. At least some of them usually get ripped up on a hunt. Afterwards he has to clean woulds and stitch them up and all that. Pretty wild stuff. I've only ever used dogs for bird hunting so this is a bit foreign to me, but either way I love watching dogs do their work. Awesome animals.

I have another friend that grew up on a 700-acre ranch, and his dad had a couple of horses that were trained to be around guns. When he was a boy, he and his dad used to ride around the ranch on horses with a rifle holster on the saddle, and they would cruise around shooting pigs out of the saddle. Those stories have always sounded so cool and fun, and truly Texan.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah, the only qualm I have is the losing the dogs. Otherwise I fully support killing hogs. He has a couple dogs that are pets, and then others that are the hunters/working dogs. You're right though, the dogs seem to absolutely love it. His dad was a vet so he's fairly handy with fixing the dogs up after a hunt. At least some of them usually get ripped up on a hunt. Afterwards he has to clean woulds and stitch them up and all that. Pretty wild stuff. I've only ever used dogs for bird hunting so this is a bit foreign to me, but either way I love watching dogs do their work. Awesome animals.

I have another friend that grew up on a 700-acre ranch, and his dad had a couple of horses that were trained to be around guns. When he was a boy, he and his dad used to ride around the ranch on horses with a rifle holster on the saddle, and they would cruise around shooting pigs out of the saddle. Those stories have always sounded so cool and fun, and truly Texan.
Thats awesome. After we take care of a few other things around the house we want to do I'm thinking a lifted electric golf cart would be great for hunting them in the neighborhood and at our buddies ranch.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Thats awesome. After we take care of a few other things around the house we want to do I'm thinking a lifted electric golf cart would be great for hunting them in the neighborhood and at our buddies ranch.
Does your county have any pig control programs? I think only a few counties participate so far, but there is a "Central Texas Feral Hog Task Force". It would be great to get more adjacent counties to join. They offer education/training for landowners to trap more effectively, help cover most of the cost and provide high-tech traps (cameras, sensors, auto shutting doors, cell phone alerts, remote trap door control, etc), and pay bounties. They will come collect the pigs, and they will also put them down if you don't want to do it. They send the meat somewhere and make dog food out of it. They also do "aerial control", which I think means helicopter hunting. The education/training and traps they use are designed to capture most of the sounder instead of just single pigs (killing only one pig does jack shit for the population control). Pretty cool program, and they have killed tons of pigs over the past several years. It's pretty much free for landowners and farmers, and I think they get a tax break too for participating.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Does your county have any pig control programs? I think only a few counties participate so far, but there is a "Central Texas Feral Hog Task Force". It would be great to get more adjacent counties to join. They offer education/training for landowners to trap more effectively, help cover most of the cost and provide high-tech traps (cameras, sensors, auto shutting doors, cell phone alerts, remote trap door control, etc), and pay bounties. They will come collect the pigs, and they will also put them down if you don't want to do it. They send the meat somewhere and make dog food out of it. They also do "aerial control", which I think means helicopter hunting. The education/training and traps they use are designed to capture most of the sounder instead of just single pigs (killing only one pig does jack shit for the population control). Pretty cool program, and they have killed tons of pigs over the past several years. It's pretty much free for landowners and farmers, and I think they get a tax break too for participating.
Unfortunately I do not think that they do in Denton or Collin county. There are some noise concerns on the property in Collin county that we hunt do to what they do on the ranch so we can't hunt it too hard. That's about to change though once we finally get our suppressors.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Man, your scenery really sucks ;)

looks like it was a killer day wherever that is! It’s been warming up now in the south (been in the low 90s), and we’re likely on the last two or three weeks before the summer heat kicks in. Got another 10-20 degrees to go...

M

member 3289

i believe that guy has a YouTube channel, right? Name sounds familiar, and think I’ve seen one of his python hunting vids on there.
He does, yeah, but it isn't updated as often. I think he finally hired someone to do his YouTube videos and is putting out one video a week, but his IG story is updated daily.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Got after it today. Cut down 3 trees. Yanked out 4 bushes - roots and all - with my truck.

And like a proper redneck I burned it all.

I might need a salt pill.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

The day's burn is done.

This pic is more ash than most of you will see in your entire life.