The Iowa Style

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Why was the whistle blown at 2:28 (in video, not the match)?
body position put the bottom guy in a 'potentially dangerous' position.
Hall (penn state/blue) had a shoulder crank. He's not obligated to let it go, but he can't use it to turn his opponent.
both guys recognized it, so they just paused and let the ref give the Reversal points.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
body position put the bottom guy in a 'potentially dangerous' position.
Hall (penn state/blue) had a shoulder crank. He's not obligated to let it go, but he can't use it to turn his opponent.
both guys recognized it, so they just paused and let the ref give the Reversal points.
Really? Because that is exactly what a kid did to my son at the tournament this weekend. My son finally had to turn over or let his shoulder rip. He tried to flip and keep rolling but it didn't work.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Really? Because that is exactly what a kid did to my son at the tournament this weekend. My son finally had to turn over or let his shoulder rip. He tried to flip and keep rolling but it didn't work.
if you have the ability to escape the position - even if it means you have to surrender the pin, it's not potentially dangerous.
There was nowhere where Kemerer to go

Also, maybe a difference between NCAA and your state HS rules...maybe also a shitty ref, not like that's unheard of...might also be because the arm was straightened (armbar)

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
just to clarify - a hammerlock is legal. You just can't use it to apply pressure to the joint, pull the arm away from the body, or move the wrist up the back past 90 degrees....probably some other nuances that I don't know because I don't know the rules that well...
:)

but you can definitely turn your opponent with a hammerlock (chicken wing)

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
just to clarify - a hammerlock is legal. You just can't use it to apply pressure to the joint, pull the arm away from the body, or move the wrist up the back past 90 degrees....probably some other nuances that I don't know because I don't know the rules that well...
:)

but you can definitely turn your opponent with a hammerlock (chicken wing)
Thanks. I'm still learning. That didn't lose him the fight though.

That kid was going to win anyway. Lol my son is only in his second year and uses strength over technique a lot. This kid was just as strong or stronger than him and way more experience and skills.

Last edited:

lamarclark09

Oct 20, 2022
This is really the best video of lowa style. The exact body position he must have among all his fights. Michael Kemerer is one of the best fighter among all. He fought and he win.