Thinking about golden gloves

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I'm turning 35 in a week or so. I would consider the GG competition enough. I don't need to go pro or anything. Of course, if I was really good at it by chance...
Have you sparred in boxing? Doesn't that give you a fair idea of how you'd match up skills wise?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Go for it if it's a passion of yours! You dont want to look back 15-20 years from now and wish you would have tried when you were able.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
i assume you're going to do some boxing first...

GG is only competitive at the high levels. most of the competitors resort to school yard style brawls pretty quickly
Yeah, I'd probably just stop kicking when I train kickboxing.

I agree with the competition level comment. This is Vermont after all. We don't even have any dedicated boxing schools as far as I know. There are probably a few small time clubs but that's about it. I wouldn't be worried about drawing some prodigy.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Have you sparred in boxing? Doesn't that give you a fair idea of how you'd match up skills wise?
Kickboxing, yeah, not regular boxing more than a couple times. The few times I did spar in boxing was with professional fighters, FWIW. I did ok. I'm a much better kickboxer now than I was back then. Like 10 x better.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Yeah, I'd probably just stop kicking when I train kickboxing.

I agree with the competition level comment. This is Vermont after all. We don't even have any dedicated boxing schools as far as I know. There are probably a few small time clubs but that's about it. I wouldn't be worried about drawing some prodigy.
Then go for it. I believe they mandate headgear, which doesn't help head shock, but you won't get your soft tissue busted up. Keep your cool, pace yourself and maintain your distance. You don't want to have any regrets.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Kickboxing, yeah, not regular boxing more than a couple times. The few times I did spar in boxing was with professional fighters, FWIW. I did ok. I'm a much better kickboxer now than I was back then. Like 10 x better.
Sorry I'm confused. You're not going to train in traditional boxing and then fight? You just want to go straight into a boxing match without any boxing only training?

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Then go for it. I believe they mandate headgear, which doesn't help head shock, but you won't get your soft tissue busted up. Keep your cool, pace yourself and maintain your distance. You don't want to have any regrets.
Yeah I'd say this is my mindset about the whole thing. I generally maintain good distance anyway, and I've got decent head movement and foot work for kickboxing. My biggest issue is dropping my hands really. I think I'm Nick Diaz when I spar or something, I don't know, but I would work on it and fight from a position of defense first. I'm used to defending myself with 4 oz gloves as well. Boxing gloves would be a dream.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Sorry I'm confused. You're not going to train in traditional boxing and then fight? You just want to go straight into a boxing match without any boxing only training?
I would just dedicate some of my kickboxing time to boxing only, so yes, I'd have some dedicated boxing time.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I would just dedicate some of my kickboxing time to boxing only, so yes, I'd have some dedicated boxing time.
Go for it. Challenging your comfort zone makes you feel alive. Win, lose, or concussion; it's what you want to do. Two tears in a bucket, muthafuck it.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Go for it if it's a passion of yours! You dont want to look back 15-20 years from now and wish you would have tried when you were able.
Or look back t the brutal concussion he recieved from jumping into a tourament I guarantee most have prepared for lol..

Last edited:

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Fuck it go win the whole thing..

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Heh, well it would be in 6 months and that's if I did the next one. I'm a big, strong, fast dude with good cardio. I'd be a big 178 amateur... I hope I wouldn't get a bad concussion...

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Heh, well it would be in 6 months and that's if I did the next one. I'm a big, strong, fast dude with good cardio. I'd be a big 178 amateur... I hope I wouldn't get a bad concussion...
Didn't know you had 6 months...if that's the case get to sparring and give it a go...must post videos though brudda...

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
This must be a troll. Doug is too smart to think that just not kicking in kickboxing will be enough to prepare for a golden gloves tourney. Also GWAHAHAHAHAHA @ making 178 same day. Or even day before. The weight class really gave it away.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
This must be a troll. Doug is too smart to think that just not kicking in kickboxing will be enough to prepare for a golden gloves tourney. Also GWAHAHAHAHAHA @ making 178 same day. Or even day before. The weight class really gave it away.
Do you know this fella?

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
1) Amateurs usually weigh in same day. Not sure about GG tournaments.
2) LOL @ you getting anywhere near 170.
3) The average competitive boxer is a lot slimmer (and therefore taller) than you.
4) Go for it. New challenges are awesome :)
i'm 5'8" and boxed for P.A.L at 140 lbs,152 lbs and 165 lbs , every 152 lbr-165 lb guy was way taller than I was 5'11-6'2",I got destroyed at those weight classes and quit , golden gloves night be less competitive in the masters division ,I also boxed silver gloves and competition was brutal, those kids were machines never made it past the round of 16, golden gloves is a lot tougher due to it weeding out the kids who burnt out during silver gloves,the ringside tourneys and title boxing comps. OP can still compete in other U.S.A boxing or AIBA boxing events to build skill, there are several ammy boxing events and tourneys that are not Golden gloves.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Well I won't disagree with that, but what if I use an evasive style and keep my hands up. With headgear in the amateurs, wouldn't the risk be pretty minimal? I'd probably have a long reach too, but I don't know how tall boxers are on average. In MMA if I fought at, say, 170, since I'm 6' I'm about the same height or a few inches taller than the average fighter. Would I have the same advantage in boxing? I wonder when the weigh ins would be.... I could make 170 if I had a day and then I'd also have a pretty big size advantage over most fighters, especially at amateur.
Headgear doesn't really protect you all that much, imo. It slows head movement to an extent, makes your head a bigger target, can impede vision some, and doesn't protect your brain from getting rattled around. I honestly hated wearing it in amateur MT

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Headgear doesn't really protect you all that much, imo. It slows head movement to an extent, makes your head a bigger target, can impede vision some, and doesn't protect your brain from getting rattled around. I honestly hated wearing it in amateur MT
I concur,head gear in most U.S.A boxing and A.i.b.a events past like age 14 doesn't use cheekbone protectors so your nose will also be bloodied and maybe broken more. my nose has a ton of bumps,scars and a slight deviation of the septum ,in ammy MT comp you will be hit less in the face than you do in boxing.