Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt: A Look Into Their Fighting Styles

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015

There a lot of interesting fights coming up with bouts like Jones vs DC, Aldo vs Edgar, Psychotropic wanderlust Temquestnorth … but let’s take a moment to give the bantamweights some attention with Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt coming around the corner. It’s been a while, but I’m took time to highlight some of their styles and habits. Hope you folks enjoy it.

Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt: A Look Into Their Fighting Styles (Part 1 of 2)

Quick summary
  • Thomas Almeida’s offensive style and technique
  • Cody Garbrandt’s offensive tools
  • Habits that cause Cody to get hit
  • Habits that cause Almeida to get hit

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
I am determined to read this! I hardly ever click the full link, so consider yourself honored.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
some typos or grammatical errors, but awesome so far :) EDIT : Just finished part 2, ty

the corrections are in brackets

from part 1

Another favorite of Almeida’s attacks are (is) the lead elbow. He’ll often executes (execute) the lead elbow by taking a step forward to smoother (smother) their range, the (then) he’ll follow up with the power hand.

from part 2

Here, Almeida brings his head back up to the center-line while Pickett weaves his hook under the center-line, thereby smoothly sliding his head pass (passed) danger.

Last edited:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

There a lot of interesting fights coming up with bouts like Jones vs DC, Aldo vs Edgar, Psychotropic wanderlust Temquestnorth … but let’s take a moment to give the bantamweights some attention with Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt coming around the corner. It’s been a while, but I’m took time to highlight some of their styles and habits. Hope you folks enjoy it.

Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt: A Look Into Their Fighting Styles (Part 1 of 2)

Quick summary
  • Thomas Almeida’s offensive style and technique
  • Cody Garbrandt’s offensive tools
  • Habits that cause Cody to get hit
  • Habits that cause Almeida to get hit
The third fight is on everyone's radar as the fight to see

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Almeida via tko round 2..I see Cody circling into Thomas' power for some reason ala Bisping vs Hendo

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
Almeida via tko round 2..I see Cody circling into Thomas' power for some reason ala Bisping vs Hendo
lol always bugs me how much shit Bisping gets for that, when top fighters circle into the power hand during EVERY UFC event and no one says a word about it, but I know you're just referencing it as part of your prediction :)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Great fight to see some of Almeidas work.

Thomas is doing things right to be the next generation rep from Chute Boxe Academy. He's aggressive in looking to finish, uses a wide range of strikes and excels in the pocket and has shown a solid chin and ability to handle shitty spots. Being only 24 he shows great maturity. In the fight I posted above he gets dropped twice in the first but handles the situation as best as possible both times. First one has him going down from a nice punch and once he gets to his feet he's able to defend the TD against the cage well and get his shit together. The next time he goes down he threatens the leg in the scramble and is able to come out in good shape and doesn't look worried or hesitant going forward, if anything he turns it up.

You can see a few of the close short elbows thrown as mentioned by strikingthoughts @strikingthoughts in the OP in the fight as well, one dropping Pickett. Another good defensive trait of Thomas is his ability to anticipate the punch and duck under multiple times to set up the counter or go to the smother technique also mentioned above.

I think Almeidas has the edge in this fight having more offensive tools and appears to be better defensively as well with counters and pressure in the pocket exchanges as opposed to just creating space and resetting. I'm gonna second ECC170 @ECC170 prediction with a 2nd round TKO but think it'll come with Thomas hurting Cody in the pocket during a good exchange then finishing once he goes down.

Looking forward to see what's written in part two.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
Great fight to see some of Almeidas work.

Thomas is doing things right to be the next generation rep from Chute Boxe Academy. He's aggressive in looking to finish, uses a wide range of strikes and excels in the pocket and has shown a solid chin and ability to handle shitty spots. Being only 24 he shows great maturity. In the fight I posted above he gets dropped twice in the first but handles the situation as best as possible both times. First one has him going down from a nice punch and once he gets to his feet he's able to defend the TD against the cage well and get his shit together. The next time he goes down he threatens the leg in the scramble and is able to come out in good shape and doesn't look worried or hesitant going forward, if anything he turns it up.

You can see a few of the close short elbows thrown as mentioned by strikingthoughts @strikingthoughts in the OP in the fight as well, one dropping Pickett. Another good defensive trait of Thomas is his ability to anticipate the punch and duck under multiple times to set up the counter or go to the smother technique also mentioned above.

I think Almeidas has the edge in this fight having more offensive tools and appears to be better defensively as well with counters and pressure in the pocket exchanges as opposed to just creating space and resetting. I'm gonna second ECC170 @ECC170 prediction with a 2nd round TKO but think it'll come with Thomas hurting Cody in the pocket during a good exchange then finishing once he goes down.

Looking forward to see what's written in part two.
part 2 is available already

Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt: A Look Into Their Fighting Styles (Part 2 of 2)

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
lol always bugs me how much shit Bisping gets for that, when top fighters circle into the power hand during EVERY UFC event and no one says a word about it, but I know you're just referencing it as part of your prediction :)
I just stated it because it's the perfect example of what a Killer with dynamite his fists can do if the capitalize on that mistake..the ONLY time you circle to it if you are angling as you are stepping away and are out of range..but even then a guy with good kicks can catch if you misjudge the proper distance exiting...

Last edited:

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It's not really his style but Cody could probably take Almeida down at will and pound his ass out if he chose to do so. Ohio state wrestling champ. Almost as impressive as being a NJ state champ.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
It's not really his style but Cody could probably take Almeida down at will and pound his ass out if he chose to do so. Ohio state wrestling champ. Almost as impressive as being a NJ state champ.
Almeidas ground isn't no joke..but don't think Almeida can't knee Cody coming in...Thomas is dangerous with all his limbs

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
It goes Pennsylvania is their own League l..nj,Ohio, Iowa are second tier...Indiana is top 7 state Wise too...We are one of few states that aren't classed and have Absolute State Champions..

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Almeida's no slouch on the ground. I'm always dubious of people's top control if they have never shown it. It's definitely possible, though.

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
some typos or grammatical errors, but awesome so far :) EDIT : Just finished part 2, ty

the corrections are in brackets

from part 1

Another favorite of Almeida’s attacks are (is) the lead elbow. He’ll often executes (execute) the lead elbow by taking a step forward to smoother (smother) their range, the (then) he’ll follow up with the power hand.

from part 2

Here, Almeida brings his head back up to the center-line while Pickett weaves his hook under the center-line, thereby smoothly sliding his head pass (passed) danger.
Thanks for the corrections. I glimpsed over once, posted it, then went off to take care of business. I'll go back to revise as usual.

Edit: I can't believe how much I miss such obvious errors.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Thanks for the corrections. I glimpsed over once, posted it, then went off to take care of business. I'll go back to revise as usual.

Happns to the vest of us.

PS. Love these as usual!

PPS. I think Almeida wins

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Don't even sweat it, the content is what matters and your ideas still come across good.

Prediction for Story vs Saffiedine?

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
Don't even sweat it, the content is what matters and your ideas still come across good.

Prediction for Story vs Saffiedine?
I don't know enough about their styles at this point. I've only began to catch Glimpse of these guys lately. It looks interesting from first glance. Who do you favor for this?

I will say this, I tend to like the Tristar fighters. They carry similar stylistic habits. Sage Northcutt is starting to inherit some of their styles too.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't know enough about their styles at this point. I've only began to catch Glimpse of these guys lately. It looks interesting from first glance. Who do you favor for this?

I will say this, I tend to like the Tristar fighters. They carry similar stylistic habits. Sage Northcutt is starting to inherit some of their styles too.
I'll skip my own question as I have to ask what you see in Sage that reminds you of TriStar guys. I still can't believe Sage said he's never done live sparring with guys after his loss to Barberena, that's crazy

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
I'll skip my own question as I have to ask what you see in Sage that reminds you of TriStar guys. I still can't believe Sage said he's never done live sparring with guys after his loss to Barberena, that's crazy
At one point, I studied Sage's style because I was really curious as to why he was really getting hyped up. I was intending to write about it, but Mr. Jack Slack went ahead to write about it, so I didn't feel the need to discuss it.

What I concluded about his current stand up style is that he didn't actually have a strong ability to lead in a fight. The only thing I wish Jack mentioned was that If you look at the majority of Sage's fights, the only time you see him lead was when he throws that hopping side kick. He rarely leads with his hands at all. After his time in Tristar, against Barberena, I started to see him use hand fighting for the first time. He used it to measure range and to lead.

Tristar is known for having many fighters who are really good at hand fighting. Rory, and even Firas have a good sense of utilizing it in various ways to control the opponent, measure distance, etc.
Just a few examples.
control the lead hand, invite the superman punch
Firas using it to measure

Sure enough, Sage inherited this tool and used it for the first time in that Barberna fight. Sage still doesn't have complete defensive awareness using hand fighting tactics, but he's progressing. I don't have a gif at this time of him using it, but if you watch his fight, it's the only time he started using hand fighting. Pretty interesting to see him progressing nonetheless.

Edit: pretty crazy about Sage not doing live sparring after Barberena. I wonder why.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
At one point, I studied Sage's style because I was really curious as to why he was really getting hyped up. I was intending to write about it, but Mr. Jack Slack went ahead to write about it, so I didn't feel the need to discuss it.

What I concluded about his current stand up style is that he didn't actually have a strong ability to lead in a fight. The only thing I wish Jack mentioned was that If you look at the majority of Sage's fights, the only time you see him lead was when he throws that hopping side kick. He rarely leads with his hands at all. After his time in Tristar, against Barberena, I started to see him use hand fighting for the first time. He used it to measure range and to lead.

Tristar is known for having many fighters who are really good at hand fighting. Rory, and even Firas have a good sense of utilizing it in various ways to control the opponent, measure distance, etc.
Just a few examples.
control the lead hand, invite the superman punch
Firas using it to measure

Sure enough, Sage inherited this tool and used it for the first time in that Barberna fight. Sage still doesn't have complete defensive awareness using hand fighting tactics, but he's progressing. I don't have a gif at this time of him using it, but if you watch his fight, it's the only time he started using hand fighting. Pretty interesting to see him progressing nonetheless.

Edit: pretty crazy about Sage not doing live sparring after Barberena. I wonder why.
Good observation, I never noticed the similarities. Sages next fight should be very telling as to how his future could look. I want to see him get into trouble again to see how he deals with it.

Venum Shill

https://www.venum.com/
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I don't see how Garbrant is a main event fighter yet
He's only fought 3 lower-tier fighters
I feel this will end up as a showcase fight for Almeida