TME about living without cable TV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to drop ATT Uverse and go with high speed internet only. My wife, two daughters (12 & 17), and myself already stream a lot of our content. Youngest has her YouTube channels she enjoys, wife & oldest use Hulu & Netflix...and the only TV that I watch anymore is sports. So we're ready to cut the cord and try to save $125 a month by dropping UVerse.

For discussion purposes, here's the TV's & devices in the house.

Oldest daughter: TV in her room + Chrome Cast + Iphone w/ unlimited data

Youngest: TV in her room + Chrome Cast + Ipad + Iphone w/ unlimited data

Wife: Ipad, Laptop, Iphone w/ unlimited data

Me: Laptop, Iphone w/ unlimited data

Other: Bedroom TV, Basement TV, and Living Room is a Vizio Smart TV

Our youngest is a tech wiz. The rest of us...not so much. We aren't utilizing I-Cloud like we probably should be doing. We aren't utilizing apps and other streaming options that are likely available, and we have no idea.

So TMMAC, please TME about how to drop cable & provide my family with the best options moving forward. And bear with me...I'm probably going to ask a lot of dumb questions throughout this process.

Thanks

I am still sending your kodi box Wild @Wild

The only reason I have not sent it is the decent one is at my mates and he is in japan until tuesday coming. It will be sent.

Believe dat. :)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I am still sending your kodi box Wild @Wild

The only reason I have not sent it is the decent one is at my mates and he is in japan until tuesday coming. It will be sent.

Believe dat. :)
Ok thanks man. It is much appreciated. I gotta cut this damn cable bill out of our budget.

Install bluestacks on your windows computers...It allows you to install native android apps. From there install mobdro on your phone...It will then integrate into bluestacks on your laptop. From there you basically have all you need.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Install bluestacks on your windows computers...It allows you to install native android apps. From there install mobdro on your phone...It will then integrate into bluestacks on your laptop. From there you basically have all you need.
English mother fucker

Bozy

OOHH YOU DIDNT KNOW!?
Feb 22, 2015
Switch service to Frontier and you won't have cable or internet. Sorry bastards have strung me along for 3 weeks and still no service.

Good luck. Listen to Meisha. He knows his stuff

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Get an over the air as antenna. You now have HDTV for the big 3 + fox. That's local news and many sports. FREE

Netflix. 10 bucks.

Share an HBO Go account from a friend. It's allowed to share per CEO. FREE. Or toss them some skrilla for the trouble. Just a few bucks. Now you have HD HBO.

Less legit...
Email some guy you know and get the hookup on mma..ffs WHO do you know that could do that?!??! 10 bucks.

Kodi box. These are not the panacea people say. They aren't as fast as they really should be. They can be a little flaky and need some nerd to put their hands on it. On the other hand, thousands of steaming options. 100 bucks once. Find a nerd to help once a year when add-ons fail or need to be replaced.

If you hook a PC to your TV, all of this can be in one and some nerdy guy you know could remote in and help you manage it as needed ;)

Get an over the air as antenna. You now have HDTV for the big 3 + fox. That's local news and many sports. FREE

Netflix. 10 bucks.

Share an HBO Go account from a friend. It's allowed to share per CEO. FREE. Or toss them some skrilla for the trouble. Just a few bucks. Now you have HD HBO.

Less legit...
Email some guy you know and get the hookup on mma..ffs WHO do you know that could do that?!??! 10 bucks.

Kodi box. These are not the panacea people say. They aren't as fast as they really should be. They can be a little flaky and need some nerd to put their hands on it. On the other hand, thousands of steaming options. 100 bucks once. Find a nerd to help once a year when add-ons fail or need to be replaced.

If you hook a PC to your TV, all of this can be in one and some nerdy guy you know could remote in and help you manage it as needed ;)
I will help free.

Patience is a virtue. Find it if You can.

Sometimes in a Woman. Never in a man.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Netflix. 10 bucks.

Less legit...

Awesome info partner. I've asked my wife for an antenna for Christmas. We have Netflix & Hulu by paying for one & sharing account info w/ a friend who pays for the other. So there's three of your recommendations down.

Not sure I know anyone that has an HBO Go account.

Any advice on how to get the following channels (preferably free, of course)? ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, FS1, Golf Channel, CBSsports, Discovery, A&E, History, HGTV, Spike.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
That doesn't work anymore.... (unless they've fixed it).

Netflix ($9.99) & Chromecast. Toss in rabbit ears for local channels & Amazon Prime ($7.99?) and you're set.

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I haven't had TV/Cable in years and frankly, I don't even kind of miss it. When I am forced to watch normal tv I immediately remember why- the 12 minutes of commercials in a 30 minute show.

I watch less tv, listen to more music, and in general the tv is less of a centerpiece in my home.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Awesome info partner. I've asked my wife for an antenna for Christmas. We have Netflix & Hulu by paying for one & sharing account info w/ a friend who pays for the other. So there's three of your recommendations down.

Not sure I know anyone that has an HBO Go account.

Any advice on how to get the following channels (preferably free, of course)? ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2, FS1, Golf Channel, CBSsports, Discovery, A&E, History, HGTV, Spike.
Mobdro is awesome

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Channel Pear, netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and the CW are all I need on my roku. It works.. specially with the older channel pear account. Can have 50 channels on it.

Feb 28, 2015
I haven't had TV/Cable in years and frankly, I don't even kind of miss it. When I am forced to watch normal tv I immediately remember why- the 12 minutes of commercials in a 30 minute show.

I watch less tv, listen to more music, and in general the tv is less of a centerpiece in my home.
Me too. When I see regular tv and the commercials I am not surprised our country is full of idiots programmed to buy shit until they are drowning in debt and also can't think for themselves.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Me too. When I see regular tv and the commercials I am not surprised our country is full of idiots programmed to buy shit until they are drowning in debt and also can't think for themselves.
I only miss watching Monday Night RAW live, certain food network and tiny house shows. Beyond that, I've been cable free on and off the last 4 years.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

Same here. We cut out cable 8 years ago. We have one tv with an antenna. And Netflix. We don't watch much tv, and cable is too expensive for what I feel like we got out of it. We have a toddler and he has some movies and whatnot that he likes. That's most of what our tv is used for these days (some of those kids shows and their god damned theme songs lol), but we don't let him have a ton of screen time.

We have also tried to make the tv less of a centerpiece. Good stuff man, I like that part.