UFC FN 171 “Pandemania 2 - Electric Boogaloo” - Live Discussion Thread 5/13/20

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

digthisbigcrux

Dreams are free, motherfucker
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
oof...

Trans # Date Amount Balance Description Ticket Risk / Loss To Win / Won Status Wager
628498227 5/14/20 12:18am $118.00 $492.20 Wager Won 628493076-1 $40.00 $78.00 Win 5/13/20 11:59pm UFC Fighting 1002 Glover Teixeira +195* vs Anthony Smith
628497996 5/14/20 12:18am $140.00 $374.20 Wager Won 628484380-1 $50.00 $90.00 Win 5/13/20 11:59pm UFC Fighting 1002 Glover Teixeira +180* vs Anthony Smith
628496473 5/14/20 12:15am $225.50 $234.20 Wager Won 628403528-1 $27.50 $198.00 Win 5/13/20 11:59pm MMA Props Fighting 1041 Teixeira wins by TKO/KO +720* vs Any other result

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
That’s the reffing you get when the President of the organization, publicly humiliates refs for early stoppages.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
As much as I like Smith, that is what you sign up for when you walk out to “Return of the Mack”

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'm glad DC called out Smith's corner for being a pack of retards on several levels.

I've always thought it was crazy that fighters would put up with 3 cornermen yelling incomprehensible nonsense over the top of each for an entire fight. You see it far too often in MMA. I would be more likely to hit them with whatever shit they're asking to throw than my opponent.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
That’s the reffing you get when the President of the organization, publicly humiliates refs for early stoppages.
I agree with the sentiment but not necessarily that Herzog did anything wrong. Glover and Smith made it very difficult for Herzog to make the call. Smith didn't quite give up even though he had checked out and Glover militantly refused to properly finish.

Herzog was looking for an excuse but they never quite gave him one until the end. It's this exact situation why non-dipshit corners are needed.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I agree with the sentiment but not necessarily that Herzog did anything wrong. Glover and Smith made it very difficult for Herzog to make the call. Smith didn't quite give up even though he had checked out and Glover militantly refused to properly finish.

Herzog was looking for an excuse but they never quite gave him one until the end. It's this exact situation why non-dipshit corners are needed.
I agree it was strange timing between Glover looking like he was about to end it conclusively and then deciding to wrestle.

I’d have to watch it again but I felt like the first time he was hit, spin around and face planted, it would have been stopped.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I agree it was strange timing between Glover looking like he was about to end it conclusively and then deciding to wrestle.

I’d have to watch it again but I felt like the first time he was hit, spin around and face planted, it would have been stopped.
Yep, but I have no doubt in my mind that if Glover had just thrown one or two even blocked punches that Herzog was about to step in. But Glover's inexplicable decision to go for the choke stopped Herzog in his tracks. And after that, Smith always did something to defend, no matter how futile.

The last few stoppages show how baffling the Cruz 'controversy' is though. Ferguson and Hernandez were both stopped on the feet and nobody rightly complains - yet Peterson fucked up because 'Cruz was trying to stand up bro', as if for that one fight trying to stand up magically means you are properly defending yourself.

And now a lot of people think this was a late stoppage, even though Smith defended his head and tied up the body.

But Cruz literally just allowed his opponent to tee off 13 punches on his head with no defence whatsoever and it was early.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Yep, but I have no doubt in my mind that if Glover had just thrown one or two even blocked punches that Herzog was about to step in. But Glover's inexplicable decision to go for the choke stopped Herzog in his tracks. And after that, Smith always did something to defend, no matter how futile.

The last few stoppages show how baffling the Cruz 'controversy' is though. Ferguson and Hernandez were both stopped on the feet and nobody rightly complains - yet Peterson fucked up because 'Cruz was trying to stand up bro', as if for that one fight trying to stand up magically means you are properly defending yourself.

And now a lot of people think this was a late stoppage, even though Smith defended his head and tied up the body.

But Cruz literally just allowed his opponent to tee off 13 punches on his head with no defence whatsoever and it was early.
I agree. I thought the Cruz stoppage was justified. I was as disappointed as anyone the fight ended, but that was a reasonable stoppage.
The other thing with the Cruz stoppage, and I could be wrong because I didn’t rewatch it but it seemed to me that Cejudo felt Pederson stepping in and took his weight off Cruz. This made it look like Cruz was going to work his way to his feet if the fight continued when in reality Cejudo was just going to keep back control and land more punches.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I agree. I thought the Cruz stoppage was justified. I was as disappointed as anyone the fight ended, but that was a reasonable stoppage.
The other thing with the Cruz stoppage, and I could be wrong because I didn’t rewatch it but it seemed to me that Cejudo felt Pederson stepping in and took his weight off Cruz. This made it look like Cruz was going to work his way to his feet if the fight continued when in reality Cejudo was just going to keep back control and land more punches.
Standing up just doesn't matter anyway, what matters is intelligent defence. Hernandez stood up and was still gone.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Anthony Smith was picking up his teeth during the fight and handing them to the ref during the fight. The ref put them in his pocket.

KnockoutThoughts

Money Making Mitch
Jul 22, 2015
See I knew Glover was holding back! I’ve watched too many Glover fights to not see the mercy he was showing Anthony yesterday. He was clearly holding back, trying not to go ape shit on him. Just watched a clip where he was literally apologizing to Anthony mid fight and saying “sorry, it’s part of the job..”. He didn’t want to keep hitting him. He could have finished that fight way earlier, but I don’t think he wanted to do that type of damage to Smith..