Wanderlei Silva injured, out of RIZIN openweight bout w/ Mirko Cro Cop

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Wanderlei Silva won’t be fighting Mirko Filipovic a third time after all.

The former PRIDE champion called out “Cro Cop” for the RIZIN openweight tournament quarterfinal after the Croatian heavyweight submitted Hyun Man Myung in September, but Filipovic announced on Facebook that the Brazilian will no longer compete on Dec. 29. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed the news.

“I just received a message from RIZIN that Wanderlei Silva got scared and cancelled our fight,” Filipovic wrote. “I swear, few days ago I told Stipe Drvis that I have a feeling this guy will bail. And this morning I receive this message.

“What coward this guy is. He was brave enough when he called me out in July, saying he wants to fight me in the first round of the tournament. And he was brave when he had his speech after my last fight, saying how us two will put on a show to remember. There is no shame in getting scared, there is no shame in losing a fight, but there is a shame in acting like a chump while you know you don't have any intention in fighting.”

According to sources, Silva is still dealing with knee and shoulder injuries he sustained after being hit by a car in May.

Wanderlei Silva injured, out of RIZIN openweight bout with Mirko Cro Cop

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016
Wand's response:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hmK7MTvuFA

And the translation from a guy on Reddit:
I am here to give an explanation to my fans about why I won't compete in December. My recovery, I wasn't able to be 100% for this fight, and I am a professional. I would never fight, not with Mirko or anyone, without being prepared, and what surprised me the most with all of that is that this guy, this Croatian, Mirko Cro Cop, in front of me called me the best of the world, the legend, and behind a computer, started talking shit about me.

What kind of man are you Mirko? To say a lot of shit on Internet, and not say it to my face? Are you only a man when behind a computer? You pussy. Who do you think you are talking to? Chill out, it won't be now, but soon you'll get what is yours, I know very well how to catch you, and I know you are afraid of me, you coward.

So really it was offered me a very good amount of money to fight Mirko, they offered me 1 million dollars, and I could, I am training and I could get in and see what happens. If I got there and fought 30 seconds or 1 minute my purse would be the same but I am a professional, and I would never do that without being 100% ready to give the show that all my fans are used to see. So, to fight with you, you pussy, or with anyone, I will fight when I am 100%. Everyone knows I am coming back from a serious injury, I am recovering well, thank God, I am training well and I am training to get back to the old form, the real mad dog. I won't fight without being ready, I will fight to win, and Silva is back, you can wait.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Wand's response:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hmK7MTvuFA

And the translation from a guy on Reddit:
I am here to give an explanation to my fans about why I won't compete in December. My recovery, I wasn't able to be 100% for this fight, and I am a professional. I would never fight, not with Mirko or anyone, without being prepared, and what surprised me the most with all of that is that this guy, this Croatian, Mirko Cro Cop, in front of me called me the best of the world, the legend, and behind a computer, started talking shit about me.

What kind of man are you Mirko? To say a lot of shit on Internet, and not say it to my face? Are you only a man when behind a computer? You pussy. Who do you think you are talking to? Chill out, it won't be now, but soon you'll get what is yours, I know very well how to catch you, and I know you are afraid of me, you coward.

So really it was offered me a very good amount of money to fight Mirko, they offered me 1 million dollars, and I could, I am training and I could get in and see what happens. If I got there and fought 30 seconds or 1 minute my purse would be the same but I am a professional, and I would never do that without being 100% ready to give the show that all my fans are used to see. So, to fight with you, you pussy, or with anyone, I will fight when I am 100%. Everyone knows I am coming back from a serious injury, I am recovering well, thank God, I am training well and I am training to get back to the old form, the real mad dog. I won't fight without being ready, I will fight to win, and Silva is back, you can wait.
Interesting midset to not go for a million dollar payday. I bet that is hard to turn down.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016
"You pussy"
This fight stands out to me because just before that head kick, Silva was begging the doctor and ref to let him get back in there. He was overmatched, too heavy at 225 pounds, he had been bloodied by Cro Cop and they wanted to stop the fight. He begged them, putting his hand up with his thumb and forefinger, like, "just a little bit more," possibly knowing he would go out on his shield. Warrior.