Lifestyle Whatcha cooking?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
IMG_20200601_134245.jpg
Cottage cheese, hungarian pasta (with eggs in the dough), random vegetables with a lot of garlic and chinese sauces and lentils.
lol and legally purchased cbd weed, don't know why it's in the picture...

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
IMG_20200604_165953.jpg

Zucchini, Broccoli,.Tomatoes and small turkish ravioli/pelmenis, threw a sausage and hotsauce in there at the end for good measure.
not pretty, but good food.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
What kind of salmon? I would venture to guess coho or spring, fillet looks to large to be a pink salmon and not red enough to be sockeye.
Coho. About half my freezer is full of coho and sockeye. I'm trying to have salmon at least twice a week so I can make room for other things. It's a good problem to have.

Last edited:

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Coho. About half my freezer is full of coho and sockeye. I'm trying to have salmon at least twice a week so I can make more for other things. It's a good problem to have.
Absolutely! I only have canners, sent to me by my mom and brother back on the west coast.
Sockeye is far too expensive to justify. Pinks are great for their affordability taste awesome as well. My go to is the simple brown sugar soy sauce and throw the fillets on the grill.

Are you from the PNW?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Absolutely! I only have canners, sent to me by my mom and brother back on the west coast.
Sockeye is far too expensive to justify. Pinks are great for their affordability taste awesome as well. My go to is the simple brown sugar soy sauce and throw the fillets on the grill.

Are you from the PNW?
Seattle.

I typically just do S&P with some lemon juice. I also have a locally made salmon rub. I forgot exactly what is in it. Brown sugar and a bunch of spices/herbs. I do the soy sauce thing sometimes too. Today was S&P with some butter.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Seattle.

I typically just do S&P with some lemon juice. I also have a locally made salmon rub. I forgot exactly what is in it. Brown sugar and a bunch of spices/herbs. I do the soy sauce thing sometimes too. Today was S&P with some butter.
Have you looked to see if the local fisherman sell fresh halibut off their boats in the harbour? I imagine you could get it cheaper than $20 per lb

We used to sell our catch at the docks when the price per pound was low. $4-$5 per lb. Mind you that was over 20 years ago now

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Have you looked to see if the local fisherman sell fresh halibut off their boats in the harbour? I imagine you could get it cheaper than $20 per lb

We used to sell our catch at the docks when the price per pound was low. $4-$5 per lb. Mind you that was over 20 years ago now
That is what I do.
Can get it at just under half price at the docks.

There is a guy who gives out his number and will come 60 miles inland and sell for half of what the fish markets charge...he will meet you in a parking lot...cash only, and you have to buy 100-150 worth at a time.

I hit that guy up about 5 times a year...Salmon and Lingcod(I catch Lingcod from my ocean kayak once or twice a year)

Image of lingcod
amazing creature
1591322672421.png

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015

Not this year. I'm sure I could head down to Fisherman's Terminal and buy it off the boat for cheaper, but with COVID, I've been trying to stay home. I ordered that last couple of pounds from Costco and had Instacart deliver it to me. Using Instacart bumps up the price, but I don't want to wait in line at Costco. I've seen photos online of the lines, and they are only letting so many people into the warehouse at a time. I'll pay someone else to do that while I work and make a lot more money. It's worth it for me.

But I do think that it is nice that I can get wild caught halibut and salmon straight from Costco. Not many places have that.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That is what I do.
Can get it at just under half price at the docks.

There is a guy who gives out his number and will come 60 miles inland and sell for half of what the fish markets charge...he will meet you in a parking lot...cash only, and you have to buy 100-150 worth at a time.

I hit that guy up about 5 times a year...Salmon and Lingcod(I catch Lingcod from my ocean kayak once or twice a year)

Image of lingcod
amazing creature
View attachment 6427
I've caught my share of bucket heads (ling cod over the years) up to 70lbs and they're ferocious.
The pic you shared is called bile pigment, it turns the fish's skin and meat that turquoise colour. Nobody has a clue how it happens though. Affects a lot of the bottom feeding fish

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I've caught my share of bucket heads (ling cod over the years) up to 70lbs and they're ferocious.
The pic you shared is called bile pigment, it turns the fish's skin and meat that turquoise colour. Nobody has a clue how it happens though. Affects a lot of the bottom feeding fish
Interesting
I saw one with some blue turquoise color, but not like that picture
Usually they are darker and kinda dark brown
I have never caught one over 30

One of the monster ones could be really hard to get into my 14 foot ocean kayak
1591323685739.png
I would probably fall in trying to load into my boat and get eaten by a great white shark
haha

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Interesting

View attachment 6430
I would probably fall in trying to load into my boat and get eaten by a great white shark
haha
I don't like boats I can't stand up and take a piss off of the side. Each to their own, but Kayaks and canoes are no bueno for me.

Largest fish I've caught in my fishing days was a 265 lb halibut. I was 16 and pencil thin. Skipper took a photo of me dressing it, and all you could see was my ass sticking out of its belly.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I don't like boats I can't stand up and take a piss off of the side. Each to their own, but Kayaks and canoes are no bueno for me.

Largest fish I've caught in my fishing days was a 265 lb halibut. I was 16 and pencil thin. Skipper took a photo of me dressing it, and all you could see was my ass sticking out of its belly.
I used to surf and kayak waves so it feels pretty safe...plus I only have small boats, wish I had a nice big one.

That photo moment sounds amazing.
Monster Fish

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Breakfast hash: eggs, sweet potato, onion, spinach, & blue cheese
IMG_20200605_070103.jpg

Not much cooking in this one, but bacon always counts. Salad: feta, bacon, avocado, onion, carrot, blueberries, & spinach
IMG_20200605_113055.jpg

Chicken seasoned with cumin w/ broccoli & carrots
IMG_20200605_185338.jpg

I also made some chocolate covered peanut butter balls w/ dark chocolate & organic peanut butter
IMG_20200605_101930.jpg

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Interesting

View attachment 6430
haha
Are those the fish with the blue meat?