[​IMG]

Norrmally at the beginning of each month, the UFC does a purge of its roster and releases several of its fighters (or at least updates its database to reflect that). So it is on this 1st of September that we find out more than a dozen competitors are evidently no longer with the promotion. UFCFIGHTERSiNFO runs a script (then publishes is on Twitter) scanning any changes to the roster, so while not official, this has historically proven to be accurate. The 13 released fighters are:

Light Heavyweight: Hans Stringer
Middleweight: Dan Miller, Ildemar Alcantara, Tom Watson
Welterweight: Andrew Craig, Igor Araujo
Lightweight: Anthony Christodoulou, Yosdenis Cedeno
Featherweight: Niklas Backstrom, Aaron Phillips
Bantamweight: Cody Gibson, Royston Wee
Flyweight: Darrell Montague

The script also noted that TUF China's Wang Sai was pulled from the active roster, but that's been known for about a year -- he's fought 3 times since his last UFC fight -- so it otherwise doesn't count within this context.

LINK: Report: Dan Miller, Darrell Montague among 13 fighters released from UFC - Bloody Elbow
[​IMG]

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, one of the greatest heavyweights in mixed martial arts history, announced his...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPRpEzvMLc

Justin Wren has dedicated himself to humanitarian work for the Mbuti Pygmies in The People’s Republic of The Congo. His efforts to help his oppressed, adopted family came after a long period of his life that saw the veteran heavyweight struggle with addiction and a litany of personal issues.

Recovery and humanitarian work have turned around Wren’s life and led to an MMA return at this past Friday’s Bellator 141 event after a more than five-year absence from competition. Wrenwon a unanimous decision over Josh Burns (8-9 MMA, 0-6 BMMA) at the Spike-televised event.

Wren (11-2 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) has used the Bellator platform to promote his “Fight for the Forgotten” campaign, which includes a new book. He said he’s back to fighting full-time with a goal of a Bellator title belt, a goal that would bring even more attention to his Pygmie family.

“I would say overall [my fight] was very positive because I got the ‘W,'” Wren told MMAjunkie following his victory. “I didn’t get the ‘W’ like I wanted or perform like I wanted. But, at the same time, it’s five years and two months since my last fight. So I’m very excited to get the win. Thank you to Danny [Brener] from Bellator, the PR guy, for helping us get the word out and Bellator as an organization, and Spike. It’s been such a great reception from people. It’s awesome, man. I’m going to be able to do so much more in Congo because of this fight.”

LINK: Justin Wren hopes successful MMA return brings more aid, attention to Congo | MMAjunkie
[​IMG]

Few athletes in mixed martial arts will ever experience a ride quite like the...
[​IMG]

Claudia Gadelha will be ready for a title fight with strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk, the challenger today assured.

As MMAjunkie previously reported, UFC officials are “reviewing options for Joanna’s next defense” since Gadelha (13-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is reportedly nursing an injury, which could open the door forValerie Letourneau (8-3 MMA, 3-0 UFC) to get the next shot at Jedrzejczyk (10-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC).

Jedrzejczyk is currently slated to defend her title at UFC 195, which takes place Jan. 2 and airs on pay-per-view from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The event recently lost a planned headliner between women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey and challenger Holly Holm after it was moved up to UFC 193 on Nov. 14. The UFC also wanted to put Jedrzejczyk on the card, possibly against Letourneau since Gadelha is injured, according to Yahoo! Sports. Letourneau, though, reportedly also wouldn’t be ready, according to the report.

However, Gadelha today tweeted she “will be ready when Joanna is ready,” presumedly at UFC 193 or UFC 195.

According to Gadelha, she’s simply recovering from a finger injury suffered in her recent win over former WSOF champion Jessica Aguilar (via Twitter):


View: https://twitter.com/ClaudiaGadelha_/status/637842928640086016

LINK: Claudia Gadelha: Good to go for title fight with UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk | MMAjunkie
[​IMG]
Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports


UFC announced today that an investigation into allegations of domestic violence against heavyweight Travis Browne is now complete.