‘Big’ John would have let Dillashaw vs. Cejudo go longer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

It seems the original UFC referee is in agreement with TJ Dillashaw and Dana White. The UFC’s debut headliner on ESPN+ - the ‘superfight’ between Dillashaw and flyweight champion Henry Cejudo - was stopped earlier than it should have been. Or, at least, earlier than it would have been had McCarthy been in the cage rather than Kevin MacDonald.

Dillashaw dropped an additional ten pounds to make the cut to 125 lbs against the man who defeated Demetrious Johnson, in his attempt to play UFC hit man for the rapidly dwindling flyweight roster. Instead, a shove, a head kick, and a short series of hooks as…

Big John McCarthy would have let Dillashaw vs. Cejudo go longer: ‘Not all fights are the same’

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I fully understand the opinion that it was stopped too early. And I do agree with BJM that a champ vs champ fight deserves more leeway than a random prelim fight.

But overall that's terrible fucking analysis. He seems to think Dillashaw only got dropped once and the stuff about TJ being 'fresh' is silly, because that means Cejudo is also fresh and can land bigger shots.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I fully understand the opinion that it was stopped too early. And I do agree with BJM that a champ vs champ fight deserves more leeway than a random prelim fight.

But overall that's terrible fucking analysis. He seems to think Dillashaw only got dropped once and the stuff about TJ being 'fresh' is silly, because that means Cejudo is also fresh and can land bigger shots.
I thought the stop was a little early until I heard TJ's post fight.

"I was definitely rocked, but I was just about to start using my wrestling on that Olympic gold medalist." Yeah, okay Teej.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
big john also should let commentating and interviewing fighters go.. . he's the yamasaki of the commentators.. The voice michael Schievelo needs to commentating in the Ufc or Bellator.

T

The Big Guy

They should have let it continue imo. When cejudo won the belt off DJ it look like he broke his ankle for the first round amd he came back. Tj could possibly have done the same thing. We will never know

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
They should have let it continue imo. When cejudo won the belt off DJ it look like he broke his ankle for the first round amd he came back. Tj could possibly have done the same thing. We will never know
We'll never know a lot of things. The fact is Dillashaw put himself in a position by getting severely hurt and dropped twice for the ref to reasonably step in. Whether we think it was early or not ultimately does not matter.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn't have argued about it going a little longer, but the reality is TJ was gonna be finished. I like TJ, but he needs to be a better sport about this and accept that he lost. He isn't getting another crack at that weight division. And even if he did he may get big brothered again. His best move is to give Cejudo a chance at his weight, try to fuck him up real bad and then say it was a fluke and they need to do it again. He isn't in a position to ask for a rematch at the same weight.