‘Disappointed’ by treatment from White and UFC, Matt Riddle now making more as a pro wrestler

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Matt Riddle is something of a rarity in the modern history of the UFC. While he never won a title of any note or importance, he’s one of the few fighting talents out there to start his career, from day one, as a part of the world’s largest MMA organization.

A contestant on Season 7 of the Ultimate Fighter, Riddle went 1-1 on the show, beating Dan Simmler and losing to Tim Credeur before making his UFC debut against Dante Rivera in the season’s finale. Over the next five years, he’d carve out a record of 9 wins and 3 losses, or he would have if he hadn’t had two of those wins voided due to…

Matt Riddle: ‘I'm making more money than I ever did in UFC’

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
That's what tells me the UFC doesn't pay much, including "undisclosed bonuses".....I can't imagine him making a huge amount now
Although you do have to compare how often he has to be on the road and work now. Riddle is probably on the road most of the time now. Wrestling isn't a couple of eight week training camps and two fights a year. Pro Wrestlers at his level travel most of the year working much more often.

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Yes, to be fair he said that the pay 'per fight' in the UFC was ok for him.
Only that he didn't fight very often in the UFC. Now, he gets more per year because he is much more active in the ring.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Not exactly shocking.. since he's actually being used more than twice a year. I dont like the guy, but good on him for making a living doing something similar to what his original career was.

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
Have you heard an interview with him? Seems like a nice guy, but he's dumb as a stump. The UFC is still a job. You can't treat your boss like a chump and expect them to love you. See Ben Askren for additional details.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Although you do have to compare how often he has to be on the road and work now. Riddle is probably on the road most of the time now. Wrestling isn't a couple of eight week training camps and two fights a year. Pro Wrestlers at his level travel most of the year working much more often.
Yep, those dude are road warriors. Bet Matt is traveling a minimum of 200 days a year.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
well in the long run if he is not taking as much head trauma it is all good

StillReal

My name is Mark.
Mar 19, 2016
Everyone is goofing on Riddle in this thread, but he is expected to get the call up to WWE's developmental program soon and is definitely making more now than he did in the UFC. The guy is a legit professional wrestler, it isn't just "hey looks its an MMA guy doing wrestling" type-thing.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Everyone is goofing on Riddle in this thread, but he is expected to get the call up to WWE's developmental program soon and is definitely making more now than he did in the UFC. The guy is a legit professional wrestler, it isn't just "hey looks its an MMA guy doing wrestling" type-thing.
Well he wont last long he's a stoner.

Hence why his mma career ended

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Well he wont last long he's a stoner.

Hence why his mma career ended
You know.. you're not wrong.

If he could have figured out how to get his smoking under control given the current rules.. he could have been fighting still and more often. But like a "stoner" it did effectively kill his career in MMA.