‘Heartbroken’ Jose Aldo likely out until October if not cleared to fight at UFC 189

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo "is in deep pain", but wants to fight Conor McGregor at UFC 189.

News broke on Wednesday that the Nova Uniao star has broken his rib during a sparring session in Rio de Janeiro for his July 11 bout with Conor McGregor in Las Vegas. Devastated with the injury, "Scarface" still plans on fighting "The Notorious."

"He cried. He wants this fight bad, everybody invested a lot in this," Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras told Combate. "I was with him the whole afternoon. He’s heartbroken. He wants to fight anyway. Now we have to wait for the exam results. Aldo is in deep pain."

Sources close to the situation told MMA Fighting that Aldo fractured his rib while training with 5-0 lightweight Alcides Nunes, and Pederneiras won’t make the decision to take Aldo from the card before talking with his doctors on Thursday morning.

"If the fracture is really confirmed, Aldo will have to stop training, do nothing for three or four weeks until it’s fixed, and then he would be able to do any exercise without forcing his rib," the coach said. "And then he would need a normal time to do a training camp: three months. I believe this fight wouldn’t happen before October."

LINK to full story: ‘Heartbroken’ Jose Aldo likely out until October if not cleared to fight at UFC 189 - MMA Fighting

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'd prefer a healthy Aldo so he won''t have fanboi parades on both sides with ????

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
If it's the common pulled intercostal injury, it will take more than 4 weeks to heal. Also means he was wrestling hard (which of course, he should be).

Cracked rib in training is much less common but we'll have to wait for test results.