‘Jacare’ Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum official for UFC 224

Discussion in 'Cageside - MMA Discussion' started by Bones Nose, Feb 22, 2018.

1. HEATH VON DOOM

HEATH VON DOOM Remember the 5th of November

Ratings:
    +22,585
    Vitors retirement fight part 2

2. Mix6APlix

Mix6APlix The more you cry, the less I care.

Ratings:
    +14,911
    KG is outstriking Barbosa you say? Pass whatever you're smoking this way please.

• Drunk? Drunk? x 1
  3. regular john

regular john Interim Champion

Ratings:
    +5,946
    Barboza?? fight is Gastelum vs. Jacare and Gastelum will win by KO. Jacare's striking is pretty bad.

4. Karaev Fan

Karaev Fan Lurker

Ratings:
    +4
    He couldn't KO Weidman, who unlike Jacare can't fight going backwards for shit, doesn't keep a tight and high guard, and isn't much of a kicker either. Weidman's durability is also almost completely shot.

Jacare will ground the smaller Gastelum, slice through his guard like butter and choke him in the first round. This is a pretty bad mismatch. Jacare is like Weidman but better in every area minus takedowns, and Gastelum has pretty bad TDD (taken down by nearly everyone he's fought, even stick-thin WW Magny) so he won't put up much resistance.

5. regular john

regular john Interim Champion

Ratings:
    +5,946
    Good points. I may be overestimating the difference in wrestling skills. I figured Gastelum was a good wrestler.

6. Karaev Fan

Karaev Fan Lurker

Ratings:
    +4
    I thought so too and then I checked his stats and found that in virtually every fight he's had, from TUF to 170 and 185, when guys have tried to take him down, they've taken him down. I'd rate Jacare's takedowns slightly below Weidman's, but he's such a physical specimen I think he'll be able to muscle Kelvin down if needbe.

Draft saved Draft deleted