‘Pay me’ - Costa pulls out of main event, says YouTubers exposed UFC pay

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Paulo Costa after being defeated by Israel Adesanya at UFC 253

Paulo Costa will not be fighting Jared Cannonier at UFC on ESPN 26, but ‘Borrachinha’ claims he never signed a fight contract to begin with.

A disgruntled Costa took to Twitter in the early hours of Saturday morning where he put the UFC on blast for announcing the Cannonier fight and claims that ‘YouTubers’ are exposing issues with UFC fighter pay.

Although it’s not clear why Costa was removed from the card, it appears the Brazilian didn’t feel he was being fairly compensated.

UFC needs to pay me as main fighter to have fighting in main events.
Youtubers are showing all disgrace on this business.

— Paulo Costa ( Borrachinha ) (@BorrachinhaMMA) June 5, 2021
“UFC needs to pay me as main fighter to have fighting in main events. Youtubers are showing all disgrace on this business.”

Just to be clear. I never signed or locked up that contract. Why ufc announced this fight if didn’t signed? My question too

— Paulo Costa ( Borrachinha ) (@BorrachinhaMMA) June 5, 2021
“Just to be clear. I never signed or locked up that contract. Why ufc announced this fight if didn’t signed? My question too.”

Jake Paul has repeatedly criticized Dana White and the UFC for not paying their fighters well, and for keeping the lion’s share of the revenue.

He and his brother Logan are making mega money in boxing despite only having five fights between them, as the YouTube stars have a combined 48 million subscribers and are two of the most popular social media personalities in the world. Logan Paul is set to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in an exhibition bout on Sunday, while younger brother Jake will take on former UFC welterweight champ Tyron Woodley at a Showtime Sports event on August 28.

As for Costa, the No. 2-ranked middleweight hasn’t fought since Sept. 2020 when he suffered a TKO loss to Israel Adesanya in their title bout at UFC 253. Kelvin Gastelum has stepped in as his replacement and will take on Cannonier in the UFC on ESPN 26 main event on Aug. 21.

‘Pay me’ - Costa pulls out of UFC main event, says YouTubers exposed ‘disgrace’ in fighter pay

Last edited:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
as unfortunate as it is, he can’t dictate how much he makes. This will not make my boy dana happy, to say the least

DarthBader

Strikeforce lives baby!
Feb 6, 2021
UFC really needs to start paying their fighters, they have enormous amounts of profits which all goes to their suits who does absoloutely nothing to deserve the cut of it, maximizing profits is all WME/Endeavour cares about, I hope that there can be created a wave of opposition to this through social media. These warriors deserve to be compensated for the damage they go through.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
It's not the first time this claim has been made. Other fighters have also said ufc pressures fighters by announcing a matchup before the contract has been signed.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
It's not the first time this claim has been made. Other fighters have also said ufc pressures fighters by announcing a matchup before the contract has been signed.
Are you suggesting that a man who looked Luke Thomas, a guy who is about 6'3 and looks like a fat retired bodybuilder, directly in his face and told him that Nate Diaz was bigger than him would ever tell a lie?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Man if Paul/Mayweather ends up finally getting MMA fighters to really take organizing seriously, it will have been worthwhile.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
The Paul bros and Conor have shown that skill does not equal higher pay, popularity does.
Boxing and mma are not like other sports in that way.

According to the interwebs Dana makes a base salary of $20 million a year +, and the average UFC athlete brings home $150,000...
What other sport does the athlete make less than 1/100th of what the president makes.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
well he's not wrong but UFC don't need his ass

not like Costa has some HUUUUGe following either

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Yup. I remember back in 2012 when Bibiano Fernandes was in talks with the UFC. They booked him in a fight and announced it without him having even signed a contract to be a UFC fighter!

Ended up telling them to fuck off and signed with One lol

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Yup. I remember back in 2012 when Bibiano Fernandes was in talks with the UFC. They booked him in a fight and announced it without him having even signed a contract to be a UFC fighter!

Ended up telling them to fuck off and signed with One lol
They held Renzo hostage for years before letting him out of his contract.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
The Paul bros and Conor have shown that skill does not equal higher pay, popularity does.
Boxing and mma are not like other sports in that way.

According to the interwebs Dana makes a base salary of $20 million a year +, and the average UFC athlete brings home $150,000...
What other sport does the athlete make less than 1/100th of what the president makes.
Ever heard of baseball? The Royals just sold for 900 million. If you do the math the player made a fraction of what the owner did over his 20 years as owner.

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
UFC really needs to start paying their fighters, they have enormous amounts of profits which all goes to their suits who does absoloutely nothing to deserve the cut of it, maximizing profits is all WME/Endeavour cares about, I hope that there can be created a wave of opposition to this through social media. These warriors deserve to be compensated for the damage they go through.
I simply cannot believe how many delusional people exist. The fighters agree to fight for X dollars. They sign on the line. Then fans complain on their behalf, or the idiots who sign the contract themselves complain about it. It's mind-blowing to see this happen over and over.

DarthBader

Strikeforce lives baby!
Feb 6, 2021
I simply cannot believe how many delusional people exist. The fighters agree to fight for X dollars. They sign on the line. Then fans complain on their behalf, or the idiots who sign the contract themselves complain about it. It's mind-blowing to see this happen over and over.

Yeah why not just change the rules so all they get is a can of beans and some water, why not make it like actual dog fighting, who gives a fuck about them as humans right? Go watch golf or something that might suit your intellect, you are simply a UFC brand shill, stop supporting the fighters and go buy a little UFC cap and sit with ur UFC hotdog brander, so you can truly enjoy and love whatever your brain has confused with the sport of MMA.

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
Yeah why not just change the rules so all they get is a can of beans and some water, why not make it like actual dog fighting, who gives a fuck about them as humans right? Go watch golf or something that might suit your intellect, you are simply a UFC brand shill, stop supporting the fighters and go buy a little UFC cap and sit with ur UFC hotdog brander, so you can truly enjoy and love whatever your brain has confused with the sport of MMA.
That was quite insane. Address the fact that fighters willingly sign to fight for a specified amount. Do you know that happens, or do you even understand contracts?

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
If fighters don't want to start a union, at least someone needs to forward them a script for when they think going on a spazz rant on social media will solve their problems:

1. Do not compare yourself to much more popular figures who draw more money than you, like Logan Paul. Point out to people that you get paid way less than obscure boxers and bench team sports players that nobody has ever heard of.

2. Point out how uneven and shady the contracts and negotiation tactics are (Costa did this part correctly)

3. Do not attack 'the UFC'. Do not attack Dana White. Attack the people who run the UFC. Ari Emmanuel and Patrick Whitesell. Make them pay a public relations price.

Nov 21, 2015
If fighters don't want to start a union, at least someone needs to forward them a script for when they think going on a spazz rant on social media will solve their problems:

1. Do not compare yourself to much more popular figures who draw more money than you, like Logan Paul. Point out to people that you get paid way less than obscure boxers and bench team sports players that nobody has ever heard of.

2. Point out how uneven and shady the contracts and negotiation tactics are (Costa did this part correctly)

3. Do not attack 'the UFC'. Do not attack Dana White. Attack the people who run the UFC. Ari Emmanuel and Patrick Whitesell. Make them pay a public relations price.
Fuck em'

They had every opportunity to organize collectively

I used to give a shit that they were payed scraps

Now I just don't fucking care anymore.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015

You forgot

Don't sign shit contracts in the first place. Its not unreasonable for the UFC to expect a fighter to honor the contract they agreed to.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
You forgot

Don't sign shit contracts in the first place. Its not unreasonable for the UFC to expect a fighter to honor the contract they agreed to.
Yes it is. But you're too much of a retard to understand why, so I would have more luck explaining it to a baboon.