100% finish rate?!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
BJJ heroes did a 2018 list of top ten finishers in jiu-jitsu.

Nicholas Meregali topped the list. I knew he was good but every win this year was a submission? That's crazy!

M

member 603

Meregali has had an awesome year, 100% success rate is amazing.... The only thing I'd say is that I'm not sure how often he competed...... Is it better to compete 4 times with a 100% sub rate, or let's say 20 times with an 80% rate? A few of those competitors faced way more people (and some would say that in open weight divisions, tougher opponents)...... Not knocking Nicholas, just playing devil's advocate here.

Still, 100% sub rate is absolutely a thing of beauty

M

member 603

So he's fought 16 times in BJJ, he's beaten Felipe Pena this year, and his overall record this year is 11-5 (but he's on a 3 match losing streak).... Not a bad year like I said, but there are guys who have fought 30+ matches, have overall more subs, but because of the extra matches, their percentage drops

M

member 603

Checking out BJJ Heroes, I feel like the facts officially support the claim that "Dillon Danis ain't SHIT"... A quick glance at his black belt record...

He received his black belt in 2015

18-16 overall record at black belt

11 wins by submission

2-1 in 2015

13-8 in 2016

3-7 in 2017

Did not complete in 2018.

Yes he did win brown belt world in no gi and gi in 2014, but in the way of being a current top grappler, or the "best in MMA" as claimed by John Kavanaugh..... A complete farce, and a joke.

Carbazel @Carbazel MMAHAWK @MMAHAWK just like I mentioned in your recent podcast.... Dillon Danis is NOT a top 200 grappler

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Meregali has had an awesome year, 100% success rate is amazing.... The only thing I'd say is that I'm not sure how often he competed...... Is it better to compete 4 times with a 100% sub rate, or let's say 20 times with an 80% rate? A few of those competitors faced way more people (and some would say that in open weight divisions, tougher opponents)...... Not knocking Nicholas, just playing devil's advocate here.

Still, 100% sub rate is absolutely a thing of beauty
So he's fought 16 times in BJJ, he's beaten Felipe Pena this year, and his overall record this year is 11-5 (but he's on a 3 match losing streak).... Not a bad year like I said, but there are guys who have fought 30+ matches, have overall more subs, but because of the extra matches, their percentage drops
Valid points. Activity is definitely a large factor. Quality of opponents could be taken into consideration too.