115er Women already has more intrigue to me than the 135ers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Lots may love Rousey winning before a fart can clear the cage but it's not one of my favourite things. Neither is TALKING about Cyborg fighting her. Shit or get off the pot already on both counts.

The potential of rematches for Joanna and Claudia at 115 while others might catch up has me interested. People saying Joanna is automatically long time champ seem to be forgetting she just came out of a split that could have sent Gadelha vs Carla and I think she would have won too.

Should be fun.

Last edited:

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm not a big fan of super dominant champions. I think competitive divisions keeps things fresh and gives you that sense that anything can happen, which is what makes watching MMA exciting. Though I respect the talent needed to dominate a division, it's tough to drop $60 to see Ronda or Jones when I'm 99% sure I already know what's going to happen.

The 115 lbs division is very exciting and the talent level is higher on the whole than 135, imo. I also like that the level of competition between champion and contenders is seemingly slight.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I agree, but Gadelha was fading in that 3rd, while Joanna was coming on strong. Gadelha works a clinch based takedown game, rather than shooting from the outside like Carla, so she could still have success despite Joanna's improved TDD. It will be an interesting fight in a 5 rounder, but I'd give Joanna the edge on cardio. However, they are both young, 26 and 27 for Gadalha and Joanna respectively and you can still improve exponentially in a year.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Good post OP i agree. IMO the 115 division is stacked and has lots of interesting fights. 135 is finished there is literally no appeal there for me. Ronda has crushed all contenders and even if she didnt there are not many exciting match ups there. I want Karate Hottie to move up to 115 and add to the depth.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I agree, but Gadelha was fading in that 3rd, while Joanna was coming on strong. Gadelha works a clinch based takedown game, rather than shooting from the outside like Carla, so she could still have success despite Joanna's improved TDD. It will be an interesting fight in a 5 rounder, but I'd give Joanna the edge on cardio. However, they are both young, 26 and 27 for Gadalha and Joanna respectively and you can still improve exponentially in a year.

Yeah don't get me wrong I judged that fight for Joanna but Claudia did enough in the second and early third to make it controversial enough in a lot of eyes which, as we know is often enough for judges with style bias to insert their own intrigue into divisions, which is also more than Rousey has in anyone at 135.

At least we know Claudia can challenge her and take some of a fight. Carmouche is the closest we have at 135 and it was a standing neckcrank, while painful looking, didn't last terribly long as a threat to Rousey.

It's something for Claudia and the division to work with and improve on. If Joanna can seem to have improved so much, so can Claudia under the same theory.

Last edited:

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I see the 115 title changing hands quite frequently. There is to much talent in that division. The 135 division has only a few top fighters.

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

they should give the other girls fights too, they need to live too

Last edited by a moderator:

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
they should give the other girls fights too, they needs to live too
This, they are all starving for fights, they got all taken out of Invicta and other places for this now they are being sat on till they see how good Paige is it seems.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm not a big fan of super dominant champions. I think competitive divisions keeps things fresh and gives you that sense that anything can happen, which is what makes watching MMA exciting. Though I respect the talent needed to dominate a division, it's tough to drop $60 to see Ronda or Jones when I'm 99% sure I already know what's going to happen.

The 115 lbs division is very exciting and the talent level is higher on the whole than 135, imo. I also like that the level of competition between champion and contenders is seemingly slight.

I'm a fan of anything super dominant that wins at least SOME close well fought matches or comebacks. Silva Chael 1 did wonders for Silvas aura and intrigue beyond the matrix movements, but even then it was only one fight and when Weidman obliterated him it caused his fans to doubt it and his haters to say "Look he was fighting mostly bums".

Dynasties in sports create attention overall and they make for better heels (Patriots, Lakers etc)
and the best ones, had to earn it with good games, not just blowing out the opponent. That makes the specific sport look unbalanced and hopeless for everyone else.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm a fan of anything super dominant that wins at least SOME close well fought matches or comebacks. Silva Chael 1 did wonders for Silvas aura and intrigue beyond the matrix movements, but even then it was only one fight and when Weidman obliterated him it caused his fans to doubt it and his haters to say "Look he was fighting mostly bums".

Dynasties in sports create attention overall and they make for better heels (Patriots, Lakers etc)
and the best ones, had to earn it with good games, not just blowing out the opponent. That makes the specific sport look unbalanced and hopeless for everyone else.
That's a really good point. If the champ is dominant, they at least need to be challenged.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Agreed. I'm already more invested in the 115 pound division. Joanna played a huge part in that Saturday too.