12 yr old boy starting out

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
Hello,

Any advice for a basic program with a kettlebell for a 12 yr old boy?

If not kb, dumbells? No room for a bench... although I have a barbell.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Barbell clean and press, pull ups and squats. If squatting is not practical, Bulgarian split squats. Don't waste money on a kettle bell. Also, eat a lot.

I'm assuming he wants to get bigger and stronger.

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
Thank you Leigh!

Was looking to kill 2 birds with one stone. I was going to use kb and he seeing me use it will help him use it

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Barbell clean and press, pull ups and squats. If squatting is not practical, Bulgarian split squats. Don't waste money on a kettle bell. Also, eat a lot.

I'm assuming he wants to get bigger and stronger.
To be honest again, i dont think Barbell clean and press and squats are good for a 12 year old. Pull ups, push ups yes.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
They need to develop more before they start to hammer out those kind of exercises. I mean anyone can do what they want of course, but i would be starting off with more resistance training with tubing, or different endurance exercises like agility latter, running over and between some cones, some bodyweight squats or squats with the resistance bands or a light medicine ball, but i would save the barbell stuff for when they are about 14-16 years old.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
They need to develop more before they start to hammer out those kind of exercises. I mean anyone can do what they want of course, but i would be starting off with more resistance training with tubing, or different endurance exercises like agility latter, running over and between some cones, some bodyweight squats or squats with the resistance bands or a light medicine ball, but i would save the barbell stuff for when they are about 14-16 years old.
What's the difference between a skinny kid doing weighted squats, a kid doing squats with resistance bands and a heavy kid doing be squats?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Its more about the age as oppose to their weight.
I still don't follow. An overweight 12 year old would be fine with bw squats, right? And a 12 year old would be fine with resistance band squats. What makes a barbell bad for a 12 year old?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I still don't follow. An overweight 12 year old would be fine with bw squats, right? And a 12 year old would be fine with resistance band squats. What makes a barbell bad for a 12 year old?
Resistance bands are not nearly as heavy as barbells are and dont put as much stress on the body to which 12 years old are not fully ready to handle. Im not sure why you keep bringing weight into it when im talking about age specific exercises. No offense but i dont really feel like getting into this as i have to talk about this all day all the time so i dont really feel like getting into it on the forums where i come to kick back and chill lol. I just offered my opinion you, and stick can do whatever you guys feel is best.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
A barbell is as heavy as you make it. You've said a barbell is a bad idea, I'm just asking why. So far, I don't feel you've answered that question. No offense intended and I'm not looking for an argument but OP already has a barbell and IMHO doesn't need to spend more money on resistance bands and other stuff.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
A barbell is as heavy as you make it. You've said a barbell is a bad idea, I'm just asking why. So far, I don't feel you've answered that question. No offense intended and I'm not looking for an argument but OP already has a barbell and IMHO doesn't need to spend more money on resistance bands and other stuff.
I guess i shouldve asked what type of barbell and what weight it was so let me clarify that i dont feel an Olympic barbell that is 45 lbs is good for a 12 year old as they most likely wont be doing the proper form anyway and then can get hurt. A resistance band is light and with a Resistance band it will help with learning the proper form of a squat while adding a little bit of tension same as a bodyweight squat will help learn proper form before using any added weight. 12 year olds are not as mentally or physically developed enough to even understand how important form is when it comes to weight lifting, some wont even be able to understand the mechanics of a squat, which again is a problem. Shit i see 16, 17,18, 20 etc year olds squatting with garbage form that makes me cringe and not only squats, bent over rows that look like shrugs, Leg press with 7 plates on each side going down about a quarter inch and many more things. My overall point is start them off with the right stuff let their body develop slowly and properly, learn proper form to actually execute the exercises right so they become useful as oppose to possibly causing injury or fucking up their body so later in life they will have a problem like i have also seen many times before.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
That makes sense. But if OP has a 10lb weider barbell with 5lb plates (like you find buried in a garage or the loft) and trains sensibly, he should be fine, right?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
That makes sense. But if OP has a 10lb weider barbell with 5lb plates (like you find buried in a garage or the loft) and trains sensibly, he should be fine, right?
Yeah that would be ok, but again i would make sure and i would really stress the fact that he has to learn proper form first, show me then i would see if we can put the bar there.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
At 12 you can accomplish everything you need with body weight exercises. Get him to master moving his body without throwing extra resistance into the mix.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
At 12 you can accomplish everything you need with body weight exercises. Get him to master moving his body without throwing extra resistance into the mix.
How would a skinny 12 year old build muscle with bodyweight exercises?

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015
How would a skinny 12 year old build muscle with bodyweight exercises?
Eating correctly. Look at gymnasts, probably the best bodies and functionality in any sport. I wouldn't try packing weight on a preteen anyway. He'll fill out eventually.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Eating correctly. Look at gymnasts, probably the best bodies and functionality in any sport. I wouldn't try packing weight on a preteen anyway.
Again, I'm not looking to start an argument but I'd like to discuss your points.

1) Eating correctly. By itself, this is not enough to build muscle.
2) Look at gymnasts. I have trained in gymnastics. My wife is a gymnastics coach. The skinny kids lift weights and competitive gymnastics is brutal, with MANY children having to train through injuries.
3) I wouldn't try packing weight on a preteen anyway. That's fine and of course your choice but this kid (presumably) wants to.

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015
Leigh @Leigh lets rock..lol.
1. Learning to eat correctly is usually the hardest part of any diet. I was a naturally skinny kid (graduated MC boot camp at 135lbs at 5'10'). I Lifted heavy, was strong as shit, but still couldn't gain weight. It wasn't until I learned proper protein intake that I added muscle.
2. Any sport, on the competitive level, that requires young kids to lift heavy usually results in massive damage over the long term.
3. Again, I know some of the reasons the skinny guy wants to grow muscles (girls, sports, bullying, girls), but life long damage can result if done incorrectly.
4. Have fun & Be safe.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Darqnezz @Darqnezz

1) Agreed. That isn't an argument against weight training though.
2) No one is suggesting this kid lift heavy. That's a straw man.
3) Agreed. However, it doesn't have to be done incorrectly.
4) Agreed.