13 year old enters BJJ Adult Absolute Division – Taps out Everyone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Nick Ryan, the 13 year old brother of brown belt sensation Gordon Ryan and student of Garry Tonon entered the absolute division of the Kumite Classic BJJ and Grappling Tournament on May 23rd, 2015 and finished two opponents by heelhook.image.jpg

From Garry Tonon's Facebook
"I've never pushed Nicky Ryan an inch, I'll tell you this. Tons of grown men and women have a bruised ego when they train with him or compete with him, and they try to hurt him, very few are successfull. Not only are they not successfull, he competes and trains in divisions where heelhooks, so called "deadly submissions" are allowed.

Somehow he finds a way to hurt them not the other way around lol. I certainly wouldn't recommend it, and I also don't think there is any rush for him to compete with the men. But he's proved to me he can handle himself, so far be it for me to stymie his progress.

Until I feel he's unsafe or he feels that way I'm going to let him keep going. Keep in mind in 6 months he's broken more adults legs in advanced pro divisions then I have. What am I supposed to do? Say "No nicky you can't compete for 5 years till your puny body can handle it"?

No thanks, I'm personally afraid of him, so I hope you break the news to him, not me. Just don't be around me when you do, I don't want to get hurt he's a dangerous boy."

13 year old enters BJJ Adult Absolute Division – Taps out Everyone | Bjj Eastern Europe

View: http://youtu.be/3gqxI4hc7Mo

M

member 603

Where to start on what's wrong with this....

As a tournament director, every event I have some coach or parents come up to me and tell me how awesome their teenage kid is, and how they tap out adults in their academy..... As a coach, I know this is possible, I've seen it myself at my gym. However I also know that the guys in my gym while training, won't go nearly as hard as a competitor in a tournament. We train tough, but we're not trying to hurt our training partners. The likelihood of a 13 year old getting hurt going against a adult in a absolute is very high.

Sadly in one of my tournaments, there was a 17 year old who competed in a absolute (he was 6'1" 190 lbs) and won his first two matches in a combined 40 seconds (both via heelhook), next match he got his shoulder about clean snapped off against a guy who was 240 yoked. The fact is ego, and man strength in a open weight division is dangerous for a 13 year old, and I'm surprised the coach and tournament director put that kid in that division.

Now as for that specific match on the video, that guy looked like he had NO IDEA what he was doing. He wasn't trying to pass the half guard, he looked like he was just trying to grab the kids head and hold on. I'm not sure what his skill level was, and with no disrespect to him, but I'm not sure he belonged in that division either (I'm basing this off my assumption that heel hooks are only allowed in a advanced absolute division, and this tournament isn't allowing beginner or Intermediate divisions to do them..... If so that is a whole other discussion)

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
Where to start on what's wrong with this....

As a tournament director, every event I have some coach or parents come up to me and tell me how awesome their teenage kid is, and how they tap out adults in their academy..... As a coach, I know this is possible, I've seen it myself at my gym. However I also know that the guys in my gym while training, won't go nearly as hard as a competitor in a tournament. We train tough, but we're not trying to hurt our training partners. The likelihood of a 13 year old getting hurt going against a adult in a absolute is very high.

Sadly in one of my tournaments, there was a 17 year old who competed in a absolute (he was 6'1" 190 lbs) and won his first two matches in a combined 40 seconds (both via heelhook), next match he got his shoulder about clean snapped off against a guy who was 240 yoked. The fact is ego, and man strength in a open weight division is dangerous for a 13 year old, and I'm surprised the coach and tournament director put that kid in that division.

Now as for that specific match on the video, that guy looked like he had NO IDEA what he was doing. He wasn't trying to pass the half guard, he looked like he was just trying to grab the kids head and hold on. I'm not sure what his skill level was, and with no disrespect to him, but I'm not sure he belonged in that division either (I'm basing this off my assumption that heel hooks are only allowed in a advanced absolute division, and this tournament isn't allowing beginner or Intermediate divisions to do them..... If so that is a whole other discussion)

I dont know the rules but it seems like to me that it would be illegal for a minor (especially that young) to compete against adults. Is there a sanctioning body, or is it up to you as the tourny director?

M

member 603

I dont know the rules but it seems like to me that it would be illegal for a minor (especially that young) to compete against adults. Is there a sanctioning body, or is it up to you as the tourny director?
Tournament Directors have a final say, most tournaments will not allow a 13 year old to compete against adults, however there are a few caveats. 14-17 year old girls have competed against women quite often in tournaments, and have done well (mostly against white belts and blue belts). 16-17 year old boys who are in the blue belt or purple belt divisions can step up to face adults in the event that there are no competitors for them in the same age divisions.

This tournament that is in the video I'm not familiar with, however I know that it's not a common practice for this to happen in most events.