2006 Rich Franklin vs 2006 GSP

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Throwin’Knuckles

Dec 16, 2018
Let’s say this fight took place. Eventually GSP did capture the MW belt. But 2006 GSP was hungry. At that time they were two of my favorite fighters. Rich “Ace” Franklin was nice guy that everyone liked. Well rounded. Had the famous Nate Quarry KO. So let’s say these two fought in 2006. Who do you think comes out on top? Rich had some size on GSP.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
GSP would have to mix his arts and keep Rich guessing, quickness is his advantage.
Rich is durable and could do some damage if he lands on the smaller man.

I think Rich takes it 6/10 times

edit: I have it 50/50 now after learning new information

Last edited:

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I would have to go with prime Rich because of his size and reach. He had the cardio to stay with GSP and keep damaging him. I think he would have stuffed enough takedowns to wear GSP down.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I don't see how GSP beats Franklin.
Franklin was much bigger, he fought @205 against the likes of Ken Shamrock etc.
Bisping falls in the category of styles GSP could beat at a met weight, Franklin does not.
Franklin 9/10

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Only advantage Rich would have would be his size. GSP is technically better everywhere. If rich couldn't put him away in the first two rounds Georges puts him on his back and GnPs him to a close UD.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Fun fact.. After Rich ws dominated by Anderson in first fight there was talks of Hughes going to 185 and fighting Anderson..1 of my managers managed Hughes and this was almost signed.. but gsp fucked up those plans 1 month later and that talk stopped.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Fun fact.. after rich ws dominated by Anderson in first fight there was talks of Hughes going to 185 and fighting Anderson..1 of my managers managed Hughes and this was almost signed.. but gsp fucked up those plans 1 month later and that talk stopped.
thanks for the inside info

what a clash of styles that woulda been

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
thanks for the inside info

what a clash of styles that woulda been
It was thought that Hughes wrestling was too much for Silva.. ...after Rich was finished its said Hughes told Franklins then wife that he would avenge his loss...She was in shambles after that.. and sadly their marriage didn't last that much longer after their 2nd fight iirc..Rich is the most humble guy ever..Hughes not so much.. was a dick to me few times.. He's not a nice guy and if you don't believe me, read his book...

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
and for anybody wondering what he did to me, imagine being 17 at a local mma event And meeting your then idol..I was wearing an IU wrestling shirt when I met him...I introduced myself and told him "we have the same last name" and he replied "good for you and btw IU sucks".. then he ws just a pompous ahole when we would go train at MFS... picked on Sylvia all the time... Beat his own dad up... pretty much raped his own wife that was hospitalized with staples in her after a procedure and got in hospital bed with her... And bragged about all this in his own words...He was only 1 at MFS that ws a dick really..I ws 19 getting my ass beat there and ws happy to be training with killers.. and it helped me be a monster in my own right..Jens,Robbie and Spencer were always so good to us other than when we had to spar or roll but that's normal...Jens and spencers sparring sessions were better than any fights you'll see in the ufc..

Last edited:

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Rich would have lost pretty easily. He was champ of a paper thin middleweight division and ironically had his best fights at LHW against people mostly on the downslope of their careers. GSP was better at everything, faster and probably could've matched his strength. I'd take him by decision.

Last edited:

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
It was thought that Hughes wrestling was too much for Silva.. ...after Rich was finished its said Hughes told Franklins then wife that he would avenge his loss...She was in shambles after that.. and sadly their marriage didn't last that much longer after their 2nd fight iirc..Rich is the most humble guy ever..Hughes not so much.. was a dick to me few times.. He's not a nice guy and if you don't believe me, read his book...
I remember Hughes calling out Anderson saying he was gonna get revenge for Franklin ...

Great inside stories ECC170 @ECC170

How was Jens wrestling? He seemed to be hooked on his boxing he didn’t even try to implement the wrestling game against Gomi in Pride.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I remember Hughes calling out Anderson saying he was gonna get revenge for Franklin ...

Great inside stories ECC170 @ECC170

How was Jens wrestling? He seemed to be hooked on his boxing he didn’t even try to implement the wrestling game against Gomi in Pride.
His takedown D was solid and grew up wrestling he actually brought my best friend and former wrestling / fight team mate out for 6 weeks to live with him for his wrestling for the Faber 1 fight iirc..My boy Jaggers was 213-11 in HS and went to IU to wrestle..4x state qualifier 3x medalist and state runner up (lost To eventual NCAA d1 champion and current IU coach Angel escobedo in the finals) Jens was a old school rocky training type..He learned his boxing from a former world title challenger in that guys garage ...Matt said all they did ws train and play COD...He paid matt couple Gs to come help with his wrestling.. Jaggers went on to be kotc champ and Fought prime Sandro,TKZ. And Dillashaw...

Last edited:

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
You'd have to go with Rich. He'd have 20lbs on GSP easily enough and the skill gap isn't wide enough to negate that.

I wouldn't be shocked if GSP beat him, I'd favour him a bit more in 08/09 though.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
How was Jens wrestling
Actually was a decorated wrestler but never used it unless stopping takedowns..MMA wrestling and Straight wrestling is so different.. his mma wrestling was solid but not as good as his younger days before he fell in love with his hands

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
You'd have to go with Rich. He'd have 20lbs on GSP easily enough and the skill gap isn't wide enough to negate that.

I wouldn't be shocked if GSP beat him, I'd favour him a bit more in 08/09 though.
Dan Henderson was taking rich down and controlled him and gsp mma wrestling was much better than Hendos imho.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

lets see. one is the GOAT who came back at 36 after 4 years of retirement to win the mw belt against a tougher opponent in bisping . the other guy is a math teacher whos biggest wins are over washed up wandy and the ghosts of chuck and ken shamrock

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
legendary MMA matchups is the new GP obviously Leigh @Leigh

obviously stirs the debate and the feels

I change my opinion after ECC170 post

I now think it is 50/50...Rich was a big juicy solid fighter with a beautiful nose...GSP has the skills and the clutch gene

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
BenAskrensStrikingcoach @Suicidalforlife Snatch single he also had ws disgusting...Chael said he's the 2nd strongest guy hes ever rolled with behind les gutches who was a 2x NCAA champ that went on to win the worlds and a bronze along with 3 Pan am golds and was the Hodge trophy winner..So it's safe to say gsp is a bad bad man.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
legendary MMA matchups is the new GP obviously Leigh @Leigh

obviously stirs the debate and the feels

I change my opinion after ECC170 post

I now think it is 50/50...Rich was a big juicy solid fighter with a beautiful nose...GSP has the skills and the clutch gene
who is rich franklins biggest win?

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015

lets see. one is the GOAT who came back at 36 after 4 years of retirement to win the mw belt against a tougher opponent in bisping . the other guy is a math teacher whos biggest wins are over washed up wandy and the ghosts of chuck and ken shamrock

Ken slipped on a banana peel as well

Fuck it I'm convinced.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
who is rich franklins biggest win?
Doesn't have great ones...IMO he never recovered after anderson broke his face and stole his mojo

I will say Tanner cause he was a great dude and I like him

Just saying this thread stirs a good debate and these questions are fun to ponder

Size is the only thing I give to rich...Size matters for me in this matchup

Basically a toss up IMO...I could be wrong obviously and we will never know