Sports 2017 MLB thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Spring training has begun, so its time for this thread.

But the real reason I started this is to tell you about a documentary I watched last night. The battered bastards of baseball. I probably like it more than some of you will since it's about a Portland team, but check it out on Netflix.

Kurt Russell's dad had an independent single a team here in the 70s. I found their story pretty cool. Worth the watch.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Spring training has begun, so its time for this thread.

But the real reason I started this is to tell you about a documentary I watched last night. The battered bastards of baseball. I probably like it more than some of you will since it's about a Portland team, but check it out on Netflix.

Kurt Russell's dad had an independent single a team here in the 70s. I found their story pretty cool. Worth the watch.
I saw that. Great documentary.

And I agree. It's almost baseball season. It's about 70 degrees outside right now. If I had a son I'd be in the backyard tossing with him. I'd throw a bit with my wife but her arm sucks - she's got about a 6' range and the accuracy of a bottle rocket with the stick pulled off of it.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I wonder if the Yankees will be able to finish higher than third in the al east.....

Who am I kidding, of course they won't.....

#Overrated #Arrogant

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I wonder if the Yankees will be able to finish higher than third in the al east.....

Who am I kidding, of course they won't.....

#Overrated #Arrogant
It's going to depend on what they get out of their starting pitching. They should be able to score runs which is a change from the last couple of seasons so that can make up for some pitching woes. Betances to Chapman is going to shut down the end of games nicely though.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
Can't wait for baseball. I live in Texas Rangers country but I'm a lifelong Royals fan. Hope they can over achieve again this season.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Good doc. I'm going to watch Ken Burns series to get fired up for the season.
I'm thinking of starting a TMMAC fantasy league if anyone wants in. I'll start a thread.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
If he is like most Tommy John guys he will come back with 2 or 3 extra MPH on his fastball.
Usually works the other way when you already throw 100 plus. Sucks he didnt get a chance to make some MLB money before he got hurt.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I just noticed something this afternoon while looking through baseball stats:

There has never been a no-hitter where both the pitcher and the catcher eventually made it to the Hall Of Fame.
I find that sort of remarkable.

In total, there have been 295 no-hitters in MLB.
As for HOF members involved in no-hitters : 34 pitchers and 11 catchers. But none during the same game.

On June 12, 2007 Justin Verlander pitched a no-hitter with Pudge Rodriguez. Pudge just got elected to the HOF, so if Justin gets in they could become the first.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Listened to the Reds game on the way home from work today. It is so refreshing to hear baseball on the radio. It means spring is just around the corner.

Not that it matters in the least - but the Reds won their 5th in a row today. After starting with 6 straight losses.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Been watching the world baseball classic today japan has some kool uniforms it was shocking that korea lost to israel.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Watching the WBC and I had no clue that Adrian Beltre is around 50 HRs from 500 and 50 hits from 3000. I knew he was a stud but thats pretty elite shit. Plus he has a gold glove.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Time to repeat WAR CUBBIES

TheOutsiders

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
If Harvey is healthy I Def wouldn't be surprised..
a bit more than that. d'arnaud has got to be healthy too, and produce. jay bruce has to prove he can play in the big city. david wright is a huge question mark at third base, and he cant throw at the moment. keeping cespedes off the dl with his on going leg injuries will be huge as well, they need to keep him away from CF.

and yeah, there is harvey as well after removing a rib.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Reds are going to shock the world and win 70+ games this season.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
jay bruce has to prove he can play in the big city.
Love the guy, but he is way too streaky to be relied upon. And while the Cincy media and fans sort of just accepted that as "hey, that's Jay" I think the NY media and fans will wear on him a bit.

He will hit .150 for a month with 0 HRs and for no apparent reason the following month he'll hit .380 with 15 bombs. I've never seen anyone as streaky as that dude.