2018 IBJJF World No-Gi Champion Brackets

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I was going to go into that, but holy shit the Ralph thing is insane
especially after kicking Kurt to the curb for not being gentlemanly enough.

the only problem with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is all the 'brazilian'.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
the thing that gets me about Cyborg's rationalization of his behavior is that he's basically saying he was going to teach Gordon "respect" by disrespecting the thing they both love the most: jiu-jitsu. And he did it on the biggest stage possible. If Gordon called your girl a slut, you don't slap him on the mat, you slap him in the parking lot.

Same thing with Ralph. I can't imagine how he rationalizes that, but he and Cyborg should both be publicly remorseful and penitent.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
the thing that gets me about Cyborg's rationalization of his behavior is that he's basically saying he was going to teach Gordon "respect" by disrespecting the thing they both love the most: jiu-jitsu. And he did it on the biggest stage possible. If Gordon called your girl a slut, you don't slap him on the mat, you slap him in the parking lot.
It had the opposite effect. Now Gordon comes out looking better.
The guy runs his mouth off the mat to generate buzz but when it comes to the competition he's a class act imo.

M

member 603

Same thing with Ralph. I can't imagine how he rationalizes that, but he and Cyborg should both be publicly remorseful and penitent.
I get what you're saying, I just think it comes down to a "how we handled it in the old school" vs "how people view things nowadays".... In the old days of mass team fights on the streets and beaches of Brazil and dojo raids, to the "let's market ourselves by trash talking, but also let's call public outcry if it gets excessive".... Both sides are right in their offenses and wrong in actions. I think that in years to come you'll see a distancing themselves from old traditions overall, but you'll still have those guys that will fly an old school flag (you see that nowadays with the "Everyday Porrada" guys)

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Looks like IBJJF has suspended Ralph Gracie.

Traditionally, IBJJF policy mandates that any disciplinary actions are dealt with internally between the Federation and the affected parties. Likewise, any sanctions that ultimately may be imposed are not publicly announced by the Federation. However, given the nature of the alleged incident at the 2018 World No-Gi Championships, the Federation is compelled to take immediate action as follows:

The alleged perpetrators have been immediately and indefinitely suspended from any and all IBJJF sanctioned events. Said suspension includes attending, competing, coaching or in any way participating in IBJJF events. Once our investigation has been completed and a final decision reached, we will update you accordingly. In the meantime, we assure you that the alleged conduct will not be tolerated under any circumstance.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Flavio got some teeth kicked out when he went down. Ralph is going to be in real trouble.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Carbazel @Carbazel MMAHAWK @MMAHAWK lots to unpack after no gi worlds, and the state of BJJ nowadays... Love to talk to you guys about it sometime.

SC MMA MD @SC MMA MD Darqnezz @Darqnezz How'd your teammates do this weekend? (if any were out there)
Had a few people collect bronze, silver, and gold at the lower belt levels. Tim Spriggs won gold, Muhamed Aly got injured in Gordons division, or he wouldve medaled pretty high as well.