General 2018 MLB Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
took em long enough Robbie Hart @Robbie Hart

Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

By Steve Adams | February 19, 2018 at 4:26pm CDT

After months of negotiations, the Red Sox have reportedly reached an agreement to sign slugger J.D. Martinez. ESPN.com’s Pedro Gomez first tweeted that a deal was in place; Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports had tweeted that the sides were close. Martinez is represented by the Boras Corporation. Details remain unknown, but Alex Speier of the Boston Globe hears (Twitter link) that the deal is expected to be for five years.

Boston has been the primary suitor connected to Martinez for virtually all of the offseason — especially since their decision to re-sign Mitch Moreland effectively took them out of the Eric Hosmer sweepstakes. Martinez figures to slot in as the primary DH for the Sox but should see some occasional time in the outfield when any of Andrew Benintendi, Jackie Bradley or Mookie Betts needs a breather. His addition calls the role of Hanley Ramirez with the Red Sox into question, as Ramirez now appears to be, at best, a backup DH and a part-time first baseman that is on the short side of the platoon.

Though the Sox have a substantial commitment to Ramirez already in place, that didn’t stop them from making a sizable offer to bring Martinez into the fold, and it’s not difficult to see why they felt he was a key piece to pushing into World Series contention. Martinez slashed a Herculean .303/.376/.690 with 45 home runs and 26 doubles in just 489 plate appearances last offseason. In all, an out-of-the-blue breakout with the 2014 Tigers, Martinez has been one of the game’s most feared hitters — as evidenced by the .300/.362/.574 batting line he’s logged in that four-year period.

Context-neutral metrics like OPS+ (149) and wRC+ (148) feel that Martinez has been nearly 50 percent better than the league-average hitter in that time, when adjusting for park and league. That 148 wRC+ ties him with Bryce Harper and now-former teammate Paul Goldschmidt for fourth in all of baseball over the past four years; only Mike Trout, Joey Votto and Giancarlo Stanton have posted better wRC+ marks in that time.

The Red Sox ranked 10th in the Majors in runs scored last season as it was, though their combined .258/.329/.407 batting line was below-average on a rate basis, and they ranked 27th in the Majors with 168 homers. Martinez will serve as a particularly potent upgrade in the DH department, as Boston designated hitters combined to hit just .244/.327/.419 last year.

Red Sox Sign J.D. Martinez

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Martinez agreed to a five-year contract and can opt out of the deal after two seasons. According to FanRag Sports, the deal is worth $110 million, with $50 million to be paid over the first two seasons.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Martinez agreed to a five-year contract and can opt out of the deal after two seasons. According to FanRag Sports, the deal is worth $110 million, with $50 million to be paid over the first two seasons.
Seems to be the new way contracts are being worked out. Load the front end and give opt outs after a few years.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
the Baseball Tonight w/ Buster Olney podcast started w/ daily podcasts again today, if you like podcasts & baseball this is a good one

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
New for 2018:
  • Mound visits limited to 6 per team per 9 innings. +1 visit per each extra inning played
  • Pitchers must complete their warm up pitches during the commercial break. They are no longer granted 8 warm up pitches.
  • The Boston Rule : Phone lines connecting review rooms and the dugout will be recorded to prevent sign stealing.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Today is one of my favorite days of the year.

1st preseason game. A harbinger of Spring. Listening to Marty Brennaman - a living legend - is always a treat. A completely meaningless game, but it's fun to hear the crack of the bat again.

It's also time to start my baseball movie viewing.

The Natural
Bull Durham
Bad News Bears
Field of Dreams
Major League
The Sandlot

Might throw some others in there, but I will watch all of these before the regular season starts.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017

1st preseason game. A harbinger of Spring. Listening to Marty Brennaman - a living legend - is always a treat. A completely meaningless game, but it's fun to hear the crack of the bat again.

The Natural
Bull Durham
Bad News Bears
Field of Dreams
Major League
The Sandlot

Might throw some others in there, but I will watch all of these before the regular season starts.
Hamilton batting leadoff & Winker not in the lineup for the first spring game, you ready to give up on the team yet?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Hamilton batting leadoff & Winker not in the lineup for the first spring game, you ready to give up on the team yet?

We'll see how it goes.
Schebler, Duvall and Hamilton are the starters. I don't see Winker getting a ton of PT unless there is an injury or just a rest day to one of those 3.

Although with a DH game he could have been placed in there fairly easily. My guess is that Price didn't want to stir it up too early.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015

The Natural
Bull Durham
Bad News Bears
Field of Dreams
Major League
The Sandlot

Dont forget Brewster.