General 2018 MLB Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
We'll see how it goes.
Schebler, Duvall and Hamilton are the starters. I don't see Winker getting a ton of PT unless there is an injury or just a rest day to one of those 3.

Although with a DH game he could have been placed in there fairly easily. My guess is that Price didn't want to stir it up too early.
If Price hits Hamilton at leadoff in the regular season I'd fire Price, unless Hamilton is on a hot streak. Winker needs to be in there every day, imo. I guess I'll wait & see & not base everything on the lineup for the first spring season game

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Dont forget Brewster.
Yeah that's a good one too.

Although Pryor's throwing motion is atrocious in that film.

And you don't see many catchers with John Candy's physique. Guys that fat usually play 3rd base for the Red Sox.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
If Price hits Hamilton at leadoff in the regular season I'd fire Price, unless Hamilton is on a hot streak. Winker needs to be in there every day, imo. I guess I'll wait & see & not base everything on the lineup for the first spring season game
Winker looks promising, but it's still a pretty small sample size. Duvall and Schebler each hit 30 bombs last year. Neither hit a good avg, but I doubt they get benched. Winker can't play CF.

I think to start the season, you'll see him in a PH role and just giving guys rest.

If Duvall continues to struggle against righties, there might be a platoon possibility. Winker didn't look good against lefties. At all. So a platoon might make sense. Winker doesn't have Duvall's power though.

I agree about Billy H. You can't have your leadoff guy with a sub-300 OBP. He has to get better.

Last edited:

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Winker looks promising, but it's still a pretty small sample size. Duvall and Schebler each hit 30 bombs last year. Neither hit a good avg, but I doubt they get benched. Winker can't play CF.

I think to start the season, you'll see him in a PH role and just giving guys rest.

If Duvall continues to struggle against righties, there might be a platoon possibility. Winker didn't look good against lefties. At all. So a platoon might make sense. Winker doesn't have Duvall's power though.

I agree about Billy H. You can't have your leadoff guy with a sub-300 OBP. He has to get better.
in 47 games Winker gave them .5 wins above replacement level in his age 22 season, Duvall gave them 1.8 WAR in 157 games in his age 28 season, Schebler was worth 1.2 WAR over 141 games. Winker's OBP would be worth more to the team coming up before Votto/Suarez (& Senzel maybe before the end of the year) than Duvall or Schebler's 30 homers, & it's also about getting him at bats & letting him work through his shortcomings now b/c Winker will be starting when the Reds are good again.

I don't have very high hopes for Price though, reminds me of Dusty in a lot of ways. He did shock me when he began using Lorenzen/Iglesias in high leverage situations last year though, so I could be wrong

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
He did shock me when he began using Lorenzen/Iglesias in high leverage situations last year though, so I could be wron
Oh don't get me started on closers that only pitch the end of games. Drives me crazy. Managers have a hammer they save for the 9th, but they let some mid-relief guy pitch in the 7th with bases juiced and nobody out. It's stupid.

I'd burn my "closer" in the 3rd if the situation called for it. Runs are runs. Who gives a shit what inning they are scored?

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Oh don't get me started on closers that only pitch the end of games. Drives me crazy. Managers have a hammer they save for the 9th, but they let some mid-relief guy pitch in the 7th with bases juiced and nobody out. It's stupid.

I'd burn my "closer" in the 3rd if the situation called for it. Runs are runs. Who gives a shit what inning they are scored?
the one quote that summed up Dusty for me was when he was asked why he didn't pitch Chapman in a playoff elimination game (think it was the Pirates, may have been the Giants though) & he said "it wasn't a save situation"

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
the one quote that summed up Dusty for me was when he was asked why he didn't pitch Chapman in a playoff elimination game (think it was the Pirates, may have been the Giants though) & he said "it wasn't a save situation"
Dusty was (is) a special kind of stupid.

It was a joy listening to Marty - who is never afraid to call it as it is - question his in game decisions.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Boston's entire outfield of Benintendi, Bradley and Betts hit a total of 61 HRs last year.

This guy hit 59 by himself.
the real question is whether the Yanks will have cool post game celebration dances like those idiots did

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Reds Report:
Homer Bailey pitched 2 innings the other day.
0 walks. 3 Ks. 2 Hits. 14 pitches / 14 strikes.

No word if the 2 inning max was planned or if he threw out his fucking arm again.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Reds Report:
Homer Bailey pitched 2 innings the other day.
0 walks. 3 Ks. 2 Hits. 14 pitches / 14 strikes.

No word if the 2 inning max was planned or if he threw out his fucking arm again.
DeSciafani looked good according to what I read today too, I'm interested in how they'll look if they don't have the worst luck with pitchers' health in all of baseball

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Yankees have an interesting decision developing in Spring Training.

During the off-season they signed Brandon Drury from Arizona to play 3rd. He's OK. Decent hitter, decent glove. Reliable.

But they have a young stud in Miguel Andujar who is absolutely clobbering the ball. In the minors last year he had a slash of .315/.352/.498 - and in 6 spring games this year he already has 4 HRs and a SLG of 1.235

The problem? His defense is a liability.

Given that the Yankees already have a stacked offensive lineup, it will be interesting to see what they do with Andujar.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Yankees have an interesting decision developing in Spring Training.

During the off-season they signed Brandon Drury from Arizona to play 3rd. He's OK. Decent hitter, decent glove. Reliable.

But they have a young stud in Miguel Andujar who is absolutely clobbering the ball. In the minors last year he had a slash of .315/.352/.498 - and in 6 spring games this year he already has 4 HRs and a SLG of 1.235

The problem? His defense is a liability.

Given that the Yankees already have a stacked offensive lineup, it will be interesting to see what they do with Andujar.
If he is good enough they will make a spot. Look at Albert Pujols first few years