Society 2018 U.S. Midterm Elections

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Some info for both non-Americans as well as Americans who slept through U.S. Civics or smoked too much weed in high school:

U.S. House of Representatives

The U.S. House of Representatives is the lower chamber of the legislative branch of the U.S. government.

ALL 435
seats up for grabs, as Congressional terms are 2 years. A member of this body is typically called Congressman/Congresswoman or Representative.

Current breakdown:

U.S. Senate

The U.S. Senate represents the upper chamber of the legislative branch of the U.S. government.

There are 100 Senators in the Senate, or 2 for every state. U.S. Senators serve 6 years. As with Congressmen/Congresswomen, there are no term limits for Senators.

Current composition:

Senate elections in 2018

33/100 seats up for grabs in 2018, including:

State governors:

Though they have no direct voting power in the federal legislature, a state governor is like a mini President due to individual states wielding so much power over their everyday affairs. Often, the decisions made by a governor directly affect people's everyday lives more than those made by the U.S. President.

36 states and 3 territories (yeah I know who cares lol) will elect new governors in 2018, including my home state of Florida, AKA the backbone of this nation.

There is one governor for every state, so 50 total. Term limits are more complex and vary depending on the state:

Gubernatorial elections in 2018:

Most U.S. Presidents in our history were either state governors or U.S. senators, except when the nation went full retard (e.g. 2016).

I predict the Democratic Party will at the very least regain control of the House of Representatives and quite possibly the U.S. Senate.

I know what you're thinking -- what does it matter, because Trump can't get shit done even with a majority in both houses of Congress? -- and you are absolutely right in thinking that. I'm not even gonna try to argue with your logic there.

But what's more important than getting laws passed (or not, in Trump's case) is that these midterm elections will be the springboard that catapults the Democratic Party back into the White House in 2020.

Voter turnout is usually much lower at midterm elections, so of you're going to vote Democrat please make sure you either vote early or take the day off from work.

God Bless America.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
predict the Democratic Party will at the very least regain control of the House of Representatives and quite possibly the U.S. Senate.

I know what you're thinking -- what does it matter, because Trump can't get shit done even with a majority in both houses of Congress? -- and you are absolutely right in thinking that. I'm not even gonna try to argue with your logic there.

Trump will be a better president with a Democratic Congress.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
How come dad?
Republican infighting and deficit fears have prevented the potentially cross aisle populist economic portions of Trump's agenda.

Things like leading with a massive needed infrastructure bill would have been more popular, good economic move, and gathered plenty of support on day one with a mixed or Dem Congress. They lead with healthcare on the faith that GOP hadn't spent 7 years with no plan...derp, lol.

The vacuum of other legislative priorities have thus been filled with a Hodge podge of republican wants and leaving a bit of a schizophrenic route while still leaving an executive that is more emblematic of the GOP civil war that anything.

Dems will let Trump implement domestic spending, pseudo protectionist policies, etc. And the modern Dems are just as likely to push corporate friendly policies as the Republicans. This path won't derail the stock market or economic gains so far or more coming.

Trump's revamp of immigration will have to move (not clear how really, they are such opposites) but the core economic and trade stakes from the election are as likely, or more, to move forward with the the Dems than the current do nothing GOP.

Healthcare will get addressed because everyone knows it's broken and Trump will sign anything on that front to get a win that he can tout. Not sure what that fix will look like in a mixed Congress.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I think the op is right here. I smoked a shit ton of weed in college and actually failed American government, not once but twice

M

member 1013

Republican infighting and deficit fears have prevented the potentially cross aisle populist economic portions of Trump's agenda.

Things like leading with a massive needed infrastructure bill would have been more popular, good economic move, and gathered plenty of support on day one with a mixed or Dem Congress. They lead with healthcare on the faith that GOP hadn't spent 7 years with no plan...derp, lol.

The vacuum of other legislative priorities have thus been filled with a Hodge podge of republican wants and leaving a bit of a schizophrenic route while still leaving an executive that is more emblematic of the GOP civil war that anything.

Dems will let Trump implement domestic spending, pseudo protectionist policies, etc. And the modern Dems are just as likely to push corporate friendly policies as the Republicans. This path won't derail the stock market or economic gains so far or more coming.

Trump's revamp of immigration will have to move (not clear how really, they are such opposites) but the core economic and trade stakes from the election are as likely, or more, to move forward with the the Dems than the current do nothing GOP.

Healthcare will get addressed because everyone knows it's broken and Trump will sign anything on that front to get a win that he can tout. Not sure what that fix will look like in a mixed Congress.
Did you know America never stopped being great?

I did.

And I'm not even Murican.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
How come dad?
Because the GOP are a bunch of infighting idiots. Mostly.

And Trump has basically been a Democrat his entire life, so once they start listening to him maybe some shit will get done. Maybe?

Or we can just bomb NK and worry about our own country later. /sarcasm

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Trump is just not a republican, nor a conservative. He's the Democratic and Republican party's worst nightmare. We needed this in a way, to wake us up.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I know what you're thinking -- what does it matter, because Trump can't get shit done even with a majority in both houses of Congress?
This is wrong, don't be fooled into thinking he is getting nothing done.

Is Trump Actually Failing, Though? | Current Affairs

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Impeachments are coming, Impeachments are coming!
And hidden tax returns showing Russian influence .........

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Impeachments are coming, Impeachments are coming!
And hidden tax returns showing Russian influence .........
I have no doubt that's what they'll be focused on.

If the country continues to improve at the rate it is, people will quickly realize the Liberal policies that the Dems champion have but one goal in mind and that's to keep their constituents trapped under their thumb.

They could care less about quality of life improvement and setting people up to be self sufficient members of society, so I'm sure we'll be hit with plenty of diversion tactics. That's their playbook.

Luckily most of the nation is wise to their con.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
As long as we don’t all have to start calling you daddy.
"You can call me Father. You can call me Jacob. You can call me Jake. You can call me a dirty son of a bitch. But if you ever call me Daddy again I'll finish this fight."