General 2019 MLB thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Found it.

Rule 6.05(n)
With two out, a runner on third base, and two strikes on the batter, the runner attempts to steal home base on a legal pitch and the ball touches the runner in the batter’s strike zone. The umpire shall call “Strike Three,” the batter is out and the run shall not count; before two are out, the umpire shall call “Strike Three,” the ball is dead, and the run counts.

So when a runner stealing home is hit by the pitch, the pitch counts and the run scores if, presumably, he touches home before being struck by the pitch. Since it's a dead ball rule, if it strikes the runner BEFORE he touches home I would assume he would have to go back to 3rd base.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
You seem like you would know for sure. I asked someone else this question before I saw this answer and they told me it's a live ball and the catcher has to retrieve the ball and tag him. Your answer is the opposite and I'm going to side with you, but before I correct my friend, can you source your answer?
Rule 6.08(b)
He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless
(1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or
(2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.

APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2007/06_the_batter.pdf

So even if a batter is HBP and the ump doesn't award 1st base because he made no effort to get out of the way, the ball is still dead and no runners can advance. The same rule would apply if it was a legal HBP where the batter is awarded 1st base.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Found it.

Rule 6.05(n)
With two out, a runner on third base, and two strikes on the batter, the runner attempts to steal home base on a legal pitch and the ball touches the runner in the batter’s strike zone. The umpire shall call “Strike Three,” the batter is out and the run shall not count; before two are out, the umpire shall call “Strike Three,” the ball is dead, and the run counts.

So when a runner stealing home is hit by the pitch, the pitch counts and the run scores if, presumably, he touches home before being struck by the pitch. Since it's a dead ball rule, if it strikes the runner BEFORE he touches home I would assume he would have to go back to 3rd base.
I meant if the batter was hit by the pitch not the guy attempting to steal home.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I meant if the batter was hit by the pitch not the guy attempting to steal home.
I know. That's why I posted the other rule. Your question sent me down a rabbit hole and I was curious about the runner scenario.

I answered your dead ball question after a HBP in another response with a link to the rulebook.

Basically: A hit batter is a dead ball, all runners return to the base they were at before the pitch unless forced to the next base due to the hitter taking 1st base.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Michael Lorenzen pitched for the W last night, played some outfield and hit a homerun.

The only other player to do that in a game?

Babe Ruth

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Reds 3B Eugenio Suarez has hit 8 HRs in his last 12 games.

Sitting at 42 HRs on the season

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Yanks take 3 out 4 off the Red Sux. We're still the best in baseball.

We've also beat our single season HR record that was set last season despite Stanton having played in nine games this season.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
How's this for a little nugget...

On August 13, 1986 the Reds played a home game against the Giants. In that game there were 6 players for Cincinnati who had gone to high school in...Cincinnati.

Buddy Bell - Moeller
Dave Parker - Courter Tech
Ron Oester - Withrow
Chris Welsh - St Xavier
Barry Larkin - Moeller
Pete Rose - West High

What are the odds of that happening?

The Reds won 8-6

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Yelich broke his knee cap. Got on top of a slider and BOOM. Right on the knee.
Out for the remainder of the season.

View: https://twitter.com/WillManso/status/1171617321359724544

The 2018 MVP was putting up another outstanding season, hitting .329 with 44 HRs and 97 RBI.

Brewers trail the 1st place Cardinals by 5 games, and are 1 game behind the Cubs for the Wild Card spot.

Last edited:
M

member 3289

Now that they don't have to worry about making the playoffs, are the Red Sox going to finish this season with a winning record?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Now that they don't have to worry about making the playoffs, are the Red Sox going to finish this season with a winning record?
Probably. Barely.
But they are 18.5 games behind the Yankees.
9 games out of the wild card.

Unless Tampa, Oakland or Cleveland completely fall apart, Boston has no chance of making the playoffs.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
The Yankees put up six HRs last night which puts them in a tie with the Twins for the all time single season team record set by the Yankees last year.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I'm thinking the post season starting lineup will typically look like this:
C - Gary
1B - Luke
2B - Gleyber
SS - Didi
3B - DJ
LF - Stanton
CF - Gardy
RF - Judge
DH - Edwin

@throbbie, what's your post season lineup look like?

M

member 3289

Probably. Barely.
But they are 18.5 games behind the Yankees.
9 games out of the wild card.

Unless Tampa, Oakland or Cleveland completely fall apart, Boston has no chance of making the playoffs.
I hope they lose every game.

Fuck Boston, that city wins enough sports championships

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
At this moment, MLB is 1 HR away from all-time season record.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
There it is!
Jonathan Villar just KILLED it.
All-time MLB season Home-run record.
Fitting on a 9/11 anniversary, America's game.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
A perfect example of why I put very little stock in the W/L records of pitchers...

DeSclafini for the Reds pitched a hell of a game. He gave up 1 hit (a triple) and that runner came home on a sac fly. Disco took the L when the Reds lost 1-0.

The triple was a grounder down the 3rd base line that took a huge hop over Suarez. Typically a routine play if not for the huge hop. The ball found its way to the corner and Nick Ahmed took advantage of a brief bobble by VanMeter and turned a lucky double into a gift triple.

View: https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27616967

7 innings. 1 hit. 1 run. 0 walks. 5 Ks.
Loss.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Eugenio Suarez hit 2 more bombs last night. That puts him at 47, tied for the MLB lead with Pete Alonso.

Suarez is hitting .271/.350/.580
100 RBI

National coverage of the season that Suarez is having: Nonexistent.

FYI: The most by a Red in a single season is George Foster who hit 52 in 1977 when he was the NL MVP.