General 2019 MLB thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I think the angels will suck badly this year no good moves the Dodgers are out there making moves signing people.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
AJ Hinch says he broke the monitor with a bat twice to try to get his dirty cheating players to stop being dirty cheating players. What he doesn't say is that he did that when they got the call wrong and the batter swung through a pitch because of the signal they got from the dugout.

He also says he can't say how much the WS title was tainted because of this. The manager doesn't know how much this affected his team.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU3sK2kImKs

Last edited:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
AJ Hinch says he broke the monitor with a bat twice to try to get his dirty cheating players to stop being dirty cheating players. What he doesn't say is that he did that when they got the call wrong and the batter swung through a pitch because of the signal they got from the dugout.

He also says he can't say how much the WS title was tainted because of this. The manager doesn't know how much this affected his team.

Doesn't outright deny the use of electronic devices. Just says they were investigated for 3 months and nothing was found.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
This offseason has been outstanding. Still talking baseball and it's damn near time for the 2020 thread.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015

Broke a TV but never had a meeting and told people to stop.

Hmmm

Sounds like he was just mad that it failed him.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
The Astros' front office knew about a sign stealing scheme and mentioned it in emails. Lunhow knew about it prior to the 2017 season, and he discussed it with their Director of Advanced Information, Tom Koch-Weser. They began using a spreadsheet to decipher the sign sequence, then they would relay info to the runner on second base, then to the batter. This is exactly what the Red Sox are under investigation for during the 2018 season. Alex Cora was on both teams. They went on to decide they wanted to relay the info to the hitter when there wasn't a runner on base, so they switched to banging the trash can as their method of relaying the info.

This was not a scheme entirely led by the players. The front office was involved.

No mention of the spreadsheet was listed in the official report following MLB's investigation.

Astros sign stealing scandal: GM Jeff Luhnow was aware of 'Codebreaker' algorithm, report says

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
The Astros' front office knew about a sign stealing scheme and mentioned it in emails. Lunhow knew about it prior to the 2017 season, and he discussed it with their Director of Advanced Information, Tom Koch-Weser. They began using a spreadsheet to decipher the sign sequence, then they would relay info to the runner on second base, then to the batter. This is exactly what the Red Sox are under investigation for during the 2018 season. Alex Cora was on both teams. They went on to decide they wanted to relay the info to the hitter when there wasn't a runner on base, so they switched to banging the trash can as their method of relaying the info.

This was not a scheme entirely led by the players. The front office was involved.

No mention of the spreadsheet was listed in the official report following MLB's investigation.

Astros sign stealing scandal: GM Jeff Luhnow was aware of 'Codebreaker' algorithm, report says
Yankees had a systematic sign stealing program in place in the past, can they prove they stopped that little habit beyond a reasonable doubt?

I have my doubts

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I'm not a huge fan of the idea of limiting the amount of time between pitches, but I gotta say it would help cut down on sign stealing where the info is relayed from off the field. Last year, MLB changed the rules surrounding how the game was to be broadcast within the stadium, and an eight second delay is now on the feed that goes to the bullpen and dugout. The only live feed is the one to the designated replay official and they are accompanied by an MLB official who is there to ensure they don't communicate with the team beyond giving their recommendation of whether or not to challenge a call.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/major-league-baseball-sign-stealing-rule-change

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I'm not a huge fan of the idea of limiting the amount of time between pitches, but I gotta say it would help cut down on sign stealing where the info is relayed from off the field. Last year, MLB changed the rules surrounding how the game was to be broadcast within the stadium, and an eight second delay is now on the feed that goes to the bullpen and dugout. The only live feed is the one to the designated replay official and they are accompanied by an MLB official who is there to ensure they don't communicate with the team beyond giving their recommendation of whether or not to challenge a call.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/major-league-baseball-sign-stealing-rule-change
There shouldn't be any broadcasts in the bullpen or dugout. Period.
The ump has to make the call in real time. If you want to challenge the play, you need to make that decision based on what you saw in real time as well.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Yankees had a systematic sign stealing program in place in the past, can they prove they stopped that little habit beyond a reasonable doubt?

I have my doubts
There was never evidence of that, so you can't really say that with confidence. Chris Young said they did when he was revealed as one of the masterminds behind the Red Sox getting caught in the Apple watch scandal, so there were rumors that he and Beltran were doing it when they were with the Yankees, but there was no proof of that claim. If MLB was able to prove the same guy was doing it in Boston, I'm sure they could have proved the same when he was in NY if it had been true.

Unless you're talking about the runner at second being able to see the sign and the catcher being too much of a dolt to vary the sign sequence. In that case, no, they haven't stopped doing that.

Last edited:

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Someone put together a break down of the number of times you can hear the Astros banging the trash can in each of the available broadcasts for the Astros' 2017 regular season home games.

Sign Stealing Scandal

On August 4th, the game with the most trash can bangs, the Astros scored 16 earned runs. Mike Bolsinger, a Blue Jays reliever, allowed 4 earned runs in 0.1 IP. He was designated for assignment on August 5th. He has not pitched in the big leagues since.