General 2020 MLB Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
they gonna play ?

when?
Next week it all kicks off. 2 games on Thursday, then the rest get going on Friday.

Fingers crossed none of the Florida teams fuck this up.

Little league has been playing since June 1 up here. No issues.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Next week it all kicks off. 2 games on Thursday, then the rest get going on Friday.

Fingers crossed none of the Florida teams fuck this up.

Little league has been playing since June 1 up here. No issues.
cool, thanks
I might actually watch some baseball again

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I see a HBP next to Altuve's name from the game last night.

Bregman too.

And Springer.

Altuve and Bregman were hit with the bases juiced, so likely not intentional - but I'm gonna go with it was completely intentional and even if the bases were loaded in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game they'd still get plunked.

I wonder if MLB will pipe in "CHEATING BASTARDS!" chants during their away games this year?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I see a HBP next to Altuve's name from the game last night.

Bregman too.

And Springer.

Altuve and Bregman were hit with the bases juiced, so likely not intentional - but I'm gonna go with it was completely intentional and even if the bases were loaded in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game they'd still get plunked.

I wonder if MLB will pipe in "CHEATING BASTARDS!" chants during their away games this year?
In games that don't matter like these... I'd be throwing everything at their sternum since that's generally where someone's wrist ends up.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Scherzer in trouble here. Bases juiced. 2 outs.
1 run already in. 5th.

Yanks up 4-1

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
The best and oldest franchise in baseball is about to kick off their season. I tried to get into 3 bars on the way home from work to watch the game but they were all jam packed.

Guess I'm watching this one at home.

It's a weird Opening Day. But it's Opening Day.

Fuck yeah. Sonny Gray on the bump. RIP Tigers batters.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
1 up
1 down.
1 K

This team will not be denied

60-0

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
How is Miguel Cabrera still playing?

Oh that's right. The DH.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I haven't watched TV in a month. Nice to see the political ads are out in full force.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Jesus.
Matthew Boyd stats from 2019
32 starts. 50 walks. 238 K's

That's fucking impressive.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Kyle Kendrick dominated the Brewers last night.
9 innings. 3 hits. 9 Ks. 0 Runs.

All 3 Brewers hits were by Orlando Arcia, who was in the 9 hole and went 3 for 3.

The rest of the Brewers went 0 for 27.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
The big 3 offensive additions for the Reds (Castellanos, Moustakas, Akiyama) went a combined 5 for 8 with 6 RBI.

They already had the best starting rotation in baseball. Now they have the bats.

The Reds will win the NL Central this year.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
But it adds a lot of talent.
I agree having the pitcher come to bat can be a bit anticlimactic, but having a huge hole in the lineup creates the part of baseball I like the most: Strategy.

If the DH makes sense, why not just make offensive and defensive players? I'm sure there are a ton of slick fielding players that have MLB-caliber defensive skills but can't hit for shit. And, to a lesser extent, I'm sure there are some dudes that can absolutely crush the ball but can't field for shit so they aren't on a roster.

If the DH makes sense to keep pitchers from hitting, wouldn't it also make sense for other position players?

If Ozzie Smith came up in today's game, he'd never make a roster. His .262 / .337 / .328 wouldn't even get him to a 3A team. But there is no denying his defensive talent was one of the best the game has ever seen.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I agree having the pitcher come to bat can be a bit anticlimactic, but having a huge hole in the lineup creates the part of baseball I like the most: Strategy.
You want strategy, I got strategy for you. Only fielding players hit. Yeah, I said it. 8 man batting lineup.

If the DH makes sense, why not just make offensive and defensive players? I'm sure there are a ton of slick fielding players that have MLB-caliber defensive skills but can't hit for shit. And, to a lesser extent, I'm sure there are some dudes that can absolutely crush the ball but can't field for shit so they aren't on a roster.
You and I both know that pitcher is unique from every other position in baseball. I can entertain the "everyone should have to hit argument" if everyone also has to pitch. Otherwise, I don't find it interesting. Especially that we've gone so far down the road of pitchers being made of glass with pitch counts and other nonsense, that it's kind of a joke to pretend that they're hitters because 2 of them hit a home run over the course of a year.

If the DH makes sense to keep pitchers from hitting, wouldn't it also make sense for other position players?
You can use the DH for anyone, it doesn't need to be used for the pitcher.

If Ozzie Smith came up in today's game, he'd never make a roster. His .262 / .337 / .328 wouldn't even get him to a 3A team. But there is no denying his defensive talent was one of the best the game has ever seen.
.280-.285 is considered a good season in modern MLB and he's one of the greatest fielders of all time. He'd be just fine.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
.280-.285 is considered a good season in modern MLB and he's one of the greatest fielders of all time. He'd be just fine.
His slugging is lower than his OBP. That's unheard of.
He hit for a .262 average over the course of his career with zero power, connecting for a total of 28 HRs in a 19 year career.

You're crazy if you think he'd make it to the pros in today's game.

You can use the DH for anyone, it doesn't need to be used for the pitcher.
I'm aware of that, but I'm talking about disconnecting fielding and hitting as a whole.
Your starting lineup would consist of 9 people in the field and 9 guys that hit. Fielders don't have to hit. Hitters don't have to field. Obviously you'd have to expand the rosters, but if we're gonna blow this shit up by having the NL switch to DH - then let's blow it up.