225 PPV numbers = beware

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Meltzer:
The Los Angeles Times reported this show, which was filled with stars, did less than 150,000 buys on PPV. We don’t have any solid figures but other early estimates are far above that. By next week we should have something that at least confirms the range of how it did.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I don’t know how anyone can expect buyrates to keep climbing or even stay the same. They’ve lost a number of huge drawing stars and have over saturated their fans with weekly fight night fox cards. I think it’s an issue of flooding the market thus making their more premium products less valuable.

Plus how does one insist on a card being shit until it’s been seen? This one had fireworks written all over it on paper which should have been enough but I think the fact that Conor is out, Jones is out, holding almost weekly fights cards, DWTNCS, TUF, looking for a fight, all of the shit they stream on FP etc all play a part in someone deciding not to buy a card, not because a card was shit after the fact.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
I wonder how much illegal streams cost them per year lmao
I'd wager not as much as you think. I imagine a fair number would just not watch, and others would go to a bar or restaurant. Hell mid 2000s my friends would get like 8 of us to throw $5 each, so imagine a PPV buy for every 8-10 streamers, and that's not including the folks who would just stop watching or go to a bar.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I'd wager not as much as you think. I imagine a fair number would just not watch, and others would go to a bar or restaurant. Hell mid 2000s my friends would get like 8 of us to throw $5 each, so imagine a PPV buy for every 8-10 streamers, and that's not including the folks who would just stop watching or go to a bar.
Well I don't really have an amount in mind, there are a ton of factors that go into it and I wouldn't even be able to venture a guess, but I'd be interested in knowing.

Either way, it's gauranteed to be a SUBSTANTIAL amount of money they're losing.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
Well I don't really have an amount in mind, there are a ton of factors that go into it and I wouldn't even be able to venture a guess, but I'd be interested in knowing.

Either way, it's gauranteed to be a SUBSTANTIAL amount of money they're losing.
I mean what are the numbers for the free on big Fox cards, peak at 1 mil?
So if you have 200k buying it and 800k streaming, I'd bet it would be like less than an extra 100k extra buys, turn your 200k into 280k.
I'm just spitballing here though

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I mean what are the numbers for the free on big Fox cards, peak at 1 mil?
So if you have 200k buying it and 800k streaming, I'd bet it would be like less than an extra 100k extra buys, turn your 200k into 280k.
I'm just spitballing here though
That's as good a guess as any.

If you're losing an extra 80k buys on a card, that's 5.2 million in revenue lost. Adds up quick!

Especially when you're talking about a big card, like let's say Diaz/McGregor 2 that did 1.6 million buys.

If we use the same formula of getting a 40% boost with no streams, that's another 640,000 PPV buys, for a total of 41.6 million! Crazy

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
That's as good a guess as any.

If you're losing an extra 80k buys on a card, that's 5.2 million in revenue lost. Adds up quick!

Especially when you're talking about a big card, like let's say Diaz/McGregor 2 that did 1.6 million buys.

If we use the same formula of getting a 40% boost with no streams, that's another 640,000 PPV buys, for a total of 41.6 million! Crazy
You are giving UFC $65 per PPV
They get about $37.50-$40. per (they get about 55% from distributors & more from online)

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
lol at all the guesstimated numbers

what if... just what if... nobody wanted to order the PPV because of CM Punk?

That'll be so awesome and to see what Egg has to say about that

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
lol at all the guesstimated numbers

what if... just what if... nobody wanted to order the PPV because of CM Punk?

That'll be so awesome and to see what Egg has to say about that
3 business days after a PPV there could only be early estimates & pretty much only Meltzer & UFC would get them.

But in 2018 everyone wants Twitter fame so they rush to post numbers.
One of the reasons I left Twitter, its not about accuracy or content, but about retweets & likes

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
3 business days after a PPV there could only be early estimates & pretty much only Meltzer & UFC would get them.

But in 2018 everyone wants Twitter fame so they rush to post numbers.
One of the reasons I left Twitter, its not about accuracy or content, but about retweets & likes
I see.
well, I'm glad you're part of the TMMAC to set the record straight

do you post stuff like this in any other MMA sites?

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
I see.
well, I'm glad you're part of the TMMAC to set the record straight

do you post stuff like this in any other MMA sites?
I did some media reporting for a bit, but stopped
Just here & Sherdog

Thanks for the words my man
Its a good place to converse

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I think all these years I was going by fake numbers #fakenews I didn't know UFC PPV numbers were so trash.

They need Conor back ASAP.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
The LA Times thing seems like some hardcore bad reporting, kind of like the time MMAJunkie misconstrued a thing Dana White said to mean Men's 115 would be a thing in the UFC (this was an interviewer asking about Men's 115 and then twisting Dana White's non-answer in the extreme).

I'm gonna say between 225k and 300k for this one.

Still though, even at 300k, this was supposed to be a tentpole type show, and one of the most stacked cards they could possibly make right now.

The fact that they're not trying to slowly move away from PPV is insane. It's really frustrating to see WME be so bad at this shit.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
UFC 225’s estimated pay-per-view numbers are in

Now saying 250k.

Make a list of those who claimed 150k so we can label them FAKE NEWS
No idea why LA Times thought there was a definitive number so early

But it really isn't a case of "now saying", this is the first real report by Meltzer

I had it as a guess at 275k (lower than most)
UFC thought anything over 225 was due to Punk, so he drew less than most thought

Last edited:

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
how are buys for bars, etc. figured into the totals? I have to think more people watch at the local pub or obnoxious chain wing joint than in their living rooms. I find it hard to believe there are hundreds of thousands of people who would shell out $65 or $70 or whatever it is for anything short of a once-every-few-years event when there are other ways to watch.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
how are buys for bars, etc. figured into the totals? I have to think more people watch at the local pub or obnoxious chain wing joint than in their living rooms. I find it hard to believe there are hundreds of thousands of people who would shell out $65 or $70 or whatever it is for anything short of a once-every-few-years event when there are other ways to watch.
They aren't
They go through Premium Events for Commercial Venues | Joe Hand Promotions

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
cool, thanks for the info! I thought maybe the baseline of venues that show every single PPV would explain why 'UFC 923: Mighty Mouse vs. Some Guy' or 'UFC 534: The 125 lb. Women's Champ No One Ever Heard Of vs. The Only Other Woman in the Division' can break 100K.

(man, what a perfect name for a combat sports promoter: About Us | Joe Hand Promotions Mr. Hand Sr. looks like a cross between the Dos Equis World's Most Interesting Man and Kenny Rogers orchestrating a deal in a 1983 episode of Miami Vice)