VID 30 Karate Blackbelts In MMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Stuart___

Sep 27, 2019

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjxDhf9h-I4

What do you think of Karate in MMA?

For me when I got into MMA I started to think Karate wasn’t that effective and Muay Thai was where it’s at.

Although there were guys from Karate backgrounds successful in K-1 Machida really changed the perception for me. Before I saw him have success in the Octagon I would have thought that a Shotokan stance would never have worked, it looked too immobile.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I think the significant thing about Machida is that he also had a lot of exposure to boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ so he wasn't strictly speaking a karate guy, even though that's how they painted him. Same with pretty much everyone since the modern era of MMA. Also, famously, the Machida era was pretty short lived. To me GSP is a better example of mixing in karate with the other styles and using it when applicable. The reason it was effective for GSP is because he's largely agnostic on styles and doesn't care about adhering to their formalism like Machida was, as he and his father (and brother) were trying to expand their already successful Machida Karate dojos. GSP just used was useful as the situation demanded it. But he was also the GOAT so even he may not be the best example.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I think the significant thing about Machida is that he also had a lot of exposure to boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ so he wasn't strictly speaking a karate guy, even though that's how they painted him. Same with pretty much everyone since the modern era of MMA. Also, famously, the Machida era was pretty short lived. To me GSP is a better example of mixing in karate with the other styles and using it when applicable. The reason it was effective for GSP is because he's largely agnostic on styles and doesn't care about adhering to their formalism like Machida was, as he and his father (and brother) were trying to expand their already successful Machida Karate dojos. GSP just used was useful as the situation demanded it. But he was also the GOAT so even he may not be the best example.
machida also did good amount of Sumo.

but what you're saying is correct about GSP, best thing he got out of karate was getting his timing down for the TDs