7 months of lifting weights.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Good job Jay, have you sorted your diet and macro ratio out now?
For the most part yes.

Of course now I have a new problem. I just quit a 27 year pot smoking habit and have 0 appetite. This is only day three and I am scared to get on the scale. I know a lot of it has to be water weight that I am sweating out freaking out about not smoking but I weighed 194 last thursday and 189 yesterday.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Keep up the good work mate, clearly paying off.

PS: Anyone ever tell you you look like Eric Clapton?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Keep up the good work mate, clearly paying off.

PS: Anyone ever tell you you look like Eric Clapton?
People tell me I look like some comic, Ari Shaffer or something like that.
I have heard the bastard son of Kramer from Seinfeld
Less attractive Napoleon Dynamite has been said.

but this is my first Eric Clapton.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
People tell me I look like some comic, Ari Shaffer or something like that.
I have heard the bastard son of Kramer from Seinfeld
Less attractive Napoleon Dynamite has been said.

but this is my first Eric Clapton.
I can see Ari Shaffir.

Your photo on the left, with the beard. You look like his twin!

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
For the most part yes.

Of course now I have a new problem. I just quit a 27 year pot smoking habit and have 0 appetite. This is only day three and I am scared to get on the scale. I know a lot of it has to be water weight that I am sweating out freaking out about not smoking but I weighed 194 last thursday and 189 yesterday.
The sweat is your body detoxing, I love my weed but it is not meant to be in your lymphatic system.

Keep up the good work on both fronts.

Good development in the traps and torso.
Have a Pride-style combo:bouquet::trophy:
....plus something more for our special guy:crown:

righthook

Mar 21, 2016
For the most part yes.

What kind of lifting do you do? I prefer to lift like a bodybuilder would, (5 days a week, one muscle or muscle group, everything 8-12 reps w/ a minute rest between sets) but I had to quit the ganja for a while & I switched to more circuit training or I lowered the weight & just added a lot of drop sets to my normal routine. It raised my metabolism & gave me a bit of a runner's high, which felt good & needed at the time, too. Not sure if that'll help you, I'm not a trainer, just a guy that likes to hit the weights & the ganja

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
What kind of lifting do you do? I prefer to lift like a bodybuilder would, (5 days a week, one muscle or muscle group, everything 8-12 reps w/ a minute rest between sets) but I had to quit the ganja for a while & I switched to more circuit training or I lowered the weight & just added a lot of drop sets to my normal routine. It raised my metabolism & gave me a bit of a runner's high, which felt good & needed at the time, too. Not sure if that'll help you, I'm not a trainer, just a guy that likes to hit the weights & the ganja

i am currently doing 2 days of weight lifting and 1 day of cardio, then repeat. day one is overhead press, deadlift, bent over rows, tricep extensions, and reverse curls for forearms. day 2 i do bench press, squats, curls, and pull ups. I do 3 sets of 5 reps. I try to do more than 5 on the last set but once that happens I normally move the weight up. the only exception is pull ups, i just do as many of those as I can for 3 sets. I recently changed my cardio from a hybrid form of yoga (DDP yoga) to an exercise bike that do for about 45 minutes.

righthook

Mar 21, 2016
i am currently doing 2 days of weight lifting and 1 day of cardio, then repeat. day one is overhead press, deadlift, bent over rows, tricep extensions, and reverse curls for forearms. day 2 i do bench press, squats, curls, and pull ups. I do 3 sets of 5 reps. I try to do more than 5 on the last set but once that happens I normally move the weight up. the only exception is pull ups, i just do as many of those as I can for 3 sets. I recently changed my cardio from a hybrid form of yoga (DDP yoga) to an exercise bike that do for about 45 minutes.
If you're still having trouble with appetite, I'd try to do a round (or all rounds, if possible) of your exercises for the day back to back with no break, or as little of a break as possible, between them. In general, I'd suggest varying things up as much as you're comfortable with. Change the grips on your exercises if possible, vary your rep ranges for a few weeks, sub in some other exercises when you can, for example do jefferson or bulgarian squats instead of normal squats one day. You're muscles will get used to the same exercises for the same reps & gains will get very difficult. You're on the right path though

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
its 3 days short of a month now since I quit. appetite is back! I would love to get up to 210 or so by august but that might be too much too fast (assuming I can even do it) Is it true you can not add more than 2lbs of muscle a month?

righthook

Mar 21, 2016
its 3 days short of a month now since I quit. appetite is back! I would love to get up to 210 or so by august but that might be too much too fast (assuming I can even do it) Is it true you can not add more than 2lbs of muscle a month?
I've seen all sorts of gains happen within a person's first year lifting. If adding muscle is the goal you may want to lift more like a bodybuilder would in regards to rep range, & focus on the stretch & (especially) the squeeze of every rep. It seems silly, but it works, you may have to go a little lighter until you're used to lifting that way if you try it

StillReal

My name is Mark.
Mar 19, 2016
I lifted for 6 months really hardcore before I started training again.

My whole teenager/adult life I'd been 6'1, 135 lbs of pure body fat. By the time my gym membership ended I ended up all the way to 180 with my lifts all significantly increasing over the time I was there. Obviously a lot of that wasn't muscle, most even, but my body completely filled out and its a great feeling.

Congrats Mr. Shaffir.

Did I see your screen name on an invicta fighter? Or is that a coincidence?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
I lifted for 6 months really hardcore before I started training again.

My whole teenager/adult life I'd been 6'1, 135 lbs of pure body fat. By the time my gym membership ended I ended up all the way to 180 with my lifts all significantly increasing over the time I was there. Obviously a lot of that wasn't muscle, most even, but my body completely filled out and its a great feeling.

Congrats Mr. Shaffir.

Did I see your screen name on an invicta fighter? Or is that a coincidence?

Heaven Help Us all if there's more than one passive Jay!

Yeah that was me