800-pound man kicked out of Rhode Island hospital for ordering pizza

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

The father of a morbidly obese Rhode Island man believes his son’s life is in danger after he was kicked out of a hospital this week for having a pizza delivered to his room.

Steven Veillette told NBC affiliate WJAR that his 778-pound son, Steven Assanti, who lost 20 pounds during his three-month hospital stay, needs professional care to survive.

“If he comes home and I do get him up the stairs somehow, some way he’s going to go right back to his eating habits,” Veillette said.

Assanti, 30, told WJAR that, before he was evicted from Rhode Island Hospital, he was aiming to get his weight down to 550 pounds so he could have gastric bypass surgery.

He said the decision to order pizza was a way of rewarding himself for his recent weight loss, while admitting that his “cheat meal” was also a violation of the strict eating plan he was supposed to be following, according to the Associated Press.

Assanti claimed in a Facebook post on Friday that the rules violation was beyond his control.

“I don’t feel like I broke the rules,” he said in the online post. “I was on a care plan and you could’ve implemented on that care plan that I had an addiction to ordering out food. You guys knew that from the get-go the moment I got admitted there.”

Assanti went on to blame the hospital staff for allowing the pizza delivery man to enter his hospital.

“Rhode Island hospital completely sickens me,” he said. “You broke the rules, not me.”

A hospital spokeswoman confirmed that Assanti had been discharged but declined to provide further details due to confidentiality laws, the AP reported.

After being kicked out of the Rhode Island Hospital, Assanti was allowed to stay temporarily at Kent County Hospital while his social worker searched for a permanent arrangement, according to USA Today.

“I just don’t know who to turn to,” Veillette told WJAR. “I called everybody — everybody you can think of in the state of Rhode Island — and nobody seems to be [able to] help me.”

A potential plan that involved moving Assanti to a Massachusetts apartment complex unraveled after Veillette learned there was a one-year waiting list for applicants, according to WJAR.

“He needs to be monitored, because if he’s on his own like he was in Fall River, he’s going to just blow up, because he’s uncontrollable when he’s by himself ’cause he’s lonely,” Veillette said.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
“He needs to be monitored, because if he’s on his own like he was in Fall River, he’s going to just blow up, because he’s uncontrollable when he’s by himself ’cause he’s lonely,” Veillette said.
Going to blow up?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That would be a pretty dope job.

I'm the guy who messes with dead whales and trys to fuck with them without them blowing up and spewing their big ass whale guts everywhere.

It's a conversation starter

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Food addiction is real but once a loved one becomes bedridden I don't understand why the caretaker enables the bullshit.

My fat homie wouldn't be able to eat anything unhealthy unless they can haul all that blubber to the store or to the front door to accept deliveries.

Good luck with that Fatty McFatFat.

Last edited:

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
The guy has an addiction but he's shirking all responsibility. The blame doesn't lie with anyone else, it's on you. You don't blame the rehab centre if a junkie sneaks off to get a fix.

I support helping people with addictions but not if they won't help themselves.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
The guy has an addiction but he's shirking all responsibility. The blame doesn't lie with anyone else, it's on you. You don't blame the rehab centre if a junkie sneaks off to get a fix.

I support helping people with addictions but not if they won't help themselves.
That's the world we live in now I guess, blame everything and everyone else for your problems and avoid personal accountability at all costs.

This guy couldn't be serious about his diet. For a 800lb man to only lose 20lbs in 3 months at a hospital... he had to have been eating shitty. An 800lb guy who starts eating reasonably will drop insane weight in that amount of time. And he's taking up a spot in that hospital that could be used to help someone who actually will use the help.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How does he not die? The human body is so resilient and strong it amazes me sometimes.

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
First off, he was in the hospital for 80 days and only lost 20lbs. That right there should have been a red flag that someone was bringing him shit he wasn't supposed to be eating.

Second, his father should be put on full blast for helping kill his son

Lastly, as some of you stated if you can't walk then you gets chicken no skin, baked fish, vegetables and fruit until you can.

I had a distant cousin who died from obesity at 30. He was somewhere around 500lbs. His parents were fat as fuck as well and to this day they put the blame on everyone else but themselves. The three of them drank 4 gallons of sweet tea/cool aid a day. I can't even begin to tell you about the garbage they ate.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
First off, he was in the hospital for 80 days and only lost 20lbs. That right there should have been a red flag that someone was bringing him shit he wasn't supposed to be eating.

Lastly, as some of you stated if you can't walk then you gets chicken no skin, baked fish, vegetables and fruit until you can.

I had a distant cousin who died from obesity at 30. He was somewhere around 500lbs. His parents were fat as fuck as well and to this day they put the blame on everyone else but themselves. The three of them drank 4 gallons of sweet tea/cool aid a day. I can't even begin to tell you about the garbage they ate.
Disgusting

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015

You should post some of your family stories here. You got plenty of VUs from me on wolf mom threads LOL

Hired Gun

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You should post some of your family stories here. You got plenty of VUs from me on wolf mom threads LOL
I'll do a copy/paste from the other thread.

What would people say about this family in your neck of the woods?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I'll do a copy/paste from the other thread.

What would people say about this family in your neck of the woods?
Which one? The fatties who killed their son or the white trash wolf breeders/welfare sponges?

Hired Gun

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Which one? The fatties who killed their son or the white trash wolf breeders/welfare sponges?
I'm sure England has their share of fatties but I meant the white trash part lol