General 84,000 deaths in the US in the next month

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
It is more that the mere scent of somebody not fully supporting mask requirements draws Pro Mask Venom.
It is only one of the extremely divisive topics where nuance is completely ignored.

The response you got was because you were perceived to be one of "them".
But, I'm not one of anything.

Endless bummers

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Wait until the data comes out showing how many died WITH Covid, versus those who actually died FROM it. This story is far from over.
You're right. They're tracking it that way now. Let's see what the story reads in a month.

Last edited:

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Wait until the data comes out showing how many died WITH Covid, versus those who actually died FROM it. This story is far from over.

Over here, according to the latest figures I can see its 82% WITH Covid. And out of the 18% FROM Covid we have no idea how many were above the national living average of 80. But when you consider the average age of death with Covid is 82... Its not a great leap of faith suspect many of the 18% who died from covid alone were over 90.

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
"The current estimate of COVID deaths stands at 833,988 "

that last month , plus next month of 90k.

thats nothing, a million people dead in a year in the US is a drop in the bucket.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Over here, according to the latest figures I can see its 82% WITH Covid. And out of the 18% FROM Covid we have no idea how many were above the national living average of 80. But when you consider the average age of death with Covid is 82... Its not a great leap of faith suspect many of the 18% who died from covid alone were over 90.
Mean and Median hide realities just like they do in income discussions.
In the USA for instance 50% of covid deaths are under the age of 65.

Importantly, each successive wave we see a younger crowd getting picked off. This is of course easily biased since if you kill off all your old people up front they aren't alive to be in the next wave.

The next thing to do is look at relative risk.
How much death and hospitalization is happening at ages 10,40,60,80 compared to other risks. If it's less than the usual life risks who gives a shit. Rona is just another disease that we deal with as is. But if its much higher, then it deserves focus.

I don't have the latest data following a big wave in the South in Aug/Sep and more recently in the midwest, but here's a useful graph to help identify if covid is a higher chance of killing you over other things we routinely live with...

Note the table is typo's on the left--- shuold say '21 all the way down. It's the first 6 months of last year.

1641825011592.png

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Mean and Median hide realities just like they do in income discussions.
In the USA for instance 50% of covid deaths are under the age of 65.

Importantly, each successive wave we see a younger crowd getting picked off. This is of course easily biased since if you kill off all your old people up front they aren't alive to be in the next wave.

The next thing to do is look at relative risk.
How much death and hospitalization is happening at ages 10,40,60,80 compared to other risks. If it's less than the usual life risks who gives a shit. Rona is just another disease that we deal with as is. But if its much higher, then it deserves focus.

I don't have the latest data following a big wave in the South in Aug/Sep and more recently in the midwest, but here's a useful graph to help identify if covid is a higher chance of killing you over other things we routinely live with...

Note the table is typo's on the left--- shuold say '21 all the way down. It's the first 6 months of last year.

View attachment 57237
The problem with that table is for people under 40 making the top 10 isn't a very high bar.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
1641827387903.png

Definitely a decoupling of cases vs hospitalizations with omicron, but 3266 additional patients in a week and this thing hasn't even really fully come on yet. We've run out of antibody infusions and antivirals already.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The problem with that table is for people under 40 making the top 10 isn't a very high bar.
Absolute vs relative risk. Both should be considered. Neither lead one to the implication that is being made that 1> this is all done with 2> not an increased threat below 82 year olds that were going to die anyways.

Get vaccinated, wear your mask if you have to be around a crowd for a little bit longer, tell everyone to go do some natural shit. Sit around a fire instead of in a bar etc. Donate to the TRCP and go hunting and fishing.

I'm hardly advocating for panic or lockdown for anyone. But it's inaccurate and premature to be dismissive of the 50-60,000 under 50 (that number triples if you move to 60) in the USA that have died of COVID and for whom we continue to see more involved in each successive wave here in Texas as we move back to life's routine behaviors.

Outside of resource utilization, at this point I don't actually give a shit what anyone does. But don't sell people on a strategy that doesn't appropriately assess risk to both individual AND society. Society risk is very high at least here in Texas where the pandemic of course has never existed.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Boris Johnson is due to announce his plan by March on how the country will live with Covid, according to the i. The paper is one of many to feature prominently government hopes that the UK is moving towards a new phase in the pandemic. The paper says No 10 has insisted the main focus remains tackling pressures on the NHS and public services. The PM's strategy, which the paper expects to be revealed in weeks, might include winding down testing, scrapping free lateral flow tests and cutting the Covid isolation period, the paper adds.

FINGERS @Fingers based on the current spread I support this is probably a fine proposal. March should have already seen the peak and decline of omicron with the broadest exposure of virus that has occurred yet.

The one odd thing is the move to remove free testing. What is the different between those tests and other services the NHS offers? If someone is showing symptoms and wants a covid or flu test later on, will there be cost? Or does this just dump the home tests and you go to the doc now?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Beware the Deltacron.
Of course future variants could flip anything on its head, but the rate of simultaneous infection is probably going to reduce the amount of wack-a-mole we are playing here with waning vaccine effectiveness over time.

Also lol:

By MARCH just in time for us to shoot the moon and nobody to run out and get this.

They really should be developing a more encompassing vaccine with more antigen targets. It may still have use even a year from now in high risk workers (healthcare) and the elderly etc that might not hold antibody response as long as others.
I don't think selling it as an omicron vaccine is going to have anyone running out to get it.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Absolute vs relative risk. Both should be considered. Neither lead one to the implication that is being made that 1> this is all done with 2> not an increased threat below 82 year olds that were going to die anyways.

Get vaccinated, wear your mask if you have to be around a crowd for a little bit longer, tell everyone to go do some natural shit. Sit around a fire instead of in a bar etc. Donate to the TRCP and go hunting and fishing.

I'm hardly advocating for panic or lockdown for anyone. But it's inaccurate and premature to be dismissive of the 50-60,000 under 50 (that number triples if you move to 60) in the USA that have died of COVID and for whom we continue to see more involved in each successive wave here in Texas as we move back to life's routine behaviors.

Outside of resource utilization, at this point I don't actually give a shit what anyone does. But don't sell people on a strategy that doesn't appropriately assess risk to both individual AND society. Society risk is very high at least here in Texas where the pandemic of course has never existed.
I understand your messaging, the problem for some of us is that we did everything you suggested in your above post and we're still being given lockdowns.