87 Deceased NFL Players Test Positive for Brain Disease

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
A total of 87 out of 91 former NFL players have tested positive for the brain disease at the center of the debate over concussions in football, according to new figures from the nation’s largest brain bank focused on the study of traumatic head injury.

Researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University have now identified the degenerative disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in 96 percent of NFL players that they’ve examined and in 79 percent of all football players. The disease is widely believed to stem from repetitive trauma to the head, and can lead to conditions such as memory loss, depression and dementia.

In total, the lab has found CTE in the brain tissue in 131 out of 165 individuals who, before their deaths, played football either professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school.

Forty percent of those who tested positive were the offensive and defensive linemen who come into contact with one another on every play of a game, according to numbers shared by the brain bank with FRONTLINE. That finding supports past research suggesting that it’s the repeat, more minor head trauma that occurs regularly in football that may pose the greatest risk to players, as opposed to just the sometimes violent collisions that cause concussions.

But the figures come with several important caveats, as testing for the disease can be an imperfect process. Brain scans have been used to identify signs of CTE in living players, but the disease can only be definitively identified posthumously. As such, many of the players who have donated their brains for testing suspected that they had the disease while still alive, leaving researchers with a skewed population to work with.

Even with those caveats, the latest numbers are “remarkably consistent” with past research from the center suggesting a link between football and long-term brain disease, said Dr. Ann McKee, the facility’s director and chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System.

“People think that we’re blowing this out of proportion, that this is a very rare disease and that we’re sensationalizing it,” said McKee, who runs the lab as part of a collaboration between the VA and BU. “My response is that where I sit, this is a very real disease. We have had no problem identifying it in hundreds of players.”

New: 87 Deceased NFL Players Test Positive for Brain Disease | Concussion Watch | FRONTLINE | PBS

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Concussions are real. A lot of these pro football players have been getting knocked around since primary school. Full pads in 6th grade.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Man, really makes me question how I used to play as a kid. And makes me question whether I'd let my son play if I had one. On one hand it builds character, you learn to deal with adversity, get in good shape, and become a team player. But do those things out weight the potential brain injury?

GJdeux

It's SAND
Mar 2, 2015
Man, really makes me question how I used to play as a kid. And makes me question whether I'd let my son play if I had one. On one hand it builds character, you learn to deal with adversity, get in good shape, and become a team player. But do those things out weight the potential brain injury?
lots of other sports do that and don't have the head trauma

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
At a young age, for free, I don't think it's worth it. There are other sports and clubs and disciplines.

Articles like this make me sad for the first waves of MMA fighters, and I start speculating on the roots of their public incidents, domestic violence, erratic behaviour.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
The doctor who is hosting the brain injury conference I posted about in the cageside forum was asked that same question: "Would you let your son play football?"

His opinion is that concussions and brain injuries are manageable if dealt with appropriately. The problem lies with the "shake it off" mentality. The biggest problem is people go back to contact before their brain has healed from its last injury.

Last edited:

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I would never let my kid play football. Pretty much every other non contact sport besides hockey (my kid is going to be pure dee negroid) is a-ok

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I would never let my kid play football. Pretty much every other non contact sport besides hockey (my kid is going to be pure dee negroid) is a-ok
1) Why wouldn't you let your kid play football?
2) Did you just call hockey a non-contact sport?

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
And a pure dee negroid because I accept I'm a bigot and would never breed with anything other than black :blush:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Football because of the physical strain/damage potential. Hockey for same. Is it categorized as a contact sport or is that what the reality is?
Hockey's definitely a contact sport. It's also the only non combat sport where fighting is an accepted part of the game.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
So you new the answer before you asked hm
I didn't ask. I asked if you thought it was a non-contact sport, and you responded by asking if that's what it's categorized as. I was just attempting to clarify if you were unsure.

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
2) Did you just call hockey a non-contact sport?
I literally just lol'd at your question.

For those who don't know much about hockey,I recommend a documentary about Derek Sutton. He played for the Mustangs back in the 80s. The guy had a terrible accident. He fell backwards on the ice and bashed his head. It was a terrible concussion. That left his team without their captain. His buddy Dean had to step up and face Racki without him. Its called Youngblood. Check it out.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Who cares about hockey? These numbers are alarming. I wonder what, if any, association there is between CTE and pugilistica dementia.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Who cares about hockey? These numbers are alarming. I wonder what, if any, association there is between CTE and pugilistica dementia.
Basically same shit:

Dementia pugilistica is actually a variant of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), which is itself a serious type of brain damage resulting from repeated concussions and is found in many professional athletes and military personnel who have been subjected to multiple impacts to the head.

Severe concussions and mild traumatic brain injury are both capable of causing CTE, and the likelihood of developing this condition is increased with the number of impacts.

Whereas CTE was formerly believed to be a disease which affected primarily only professional and amateur boxers, it is now understood to be an affliction suffered by many more people. The doctors at the Brain Injury Research Institute have made considerable contributions to raising public awareness of CTE and we are working to find effective solutions for prevention and treatment.

Dementia Pugilistica | Brain Injury Research Institute

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Who cares about hockey? These numbers are alarming.
Hockey enforcers when tested have equally alarming numbers. It's also a sport that lost its biggest star to improperly treated concussions for the better part of a year. If you're talking brain injuries, hockey is very relevant.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Lmao I think I'll repeat this anytime someone mentions hockey again. Who cares about hockey? Then move the convo right on along to an interesting place

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Head injuries in sports will only get worse due to athletes getting bigger and faster. This is one major reasons why allot of parents are getting their kids into soccer and away from peewee football.

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The NFL knows and has known for years if not decades the head injuries need to be addressed. If they do not figure our how to prevent and treat them with no long term issues it will turn the league into a flag football league.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
The NFL knows and has known for years if not decades the head injuries need to be addressed. If they do not figure our how to prevent and treat them with no long term issues it will turn the league into a flag football league.
Aren't they working on a new helmet?

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
In the past year, Riddell has taken steps toward increasing player safety by creating a helmet that helps minimize the impact of a vicious hit by diffusing the energy of the hit throughout the helmet and using sensors inside the helmet to alert the sideline of a possible concussion.